Update an 80s system with wireless speakers

pog451

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi to all,

Sorry about jumping in but my "Introduce new users" post disappeared three times and Im bored with that now (and using Firefox). I hope youll forgive me.

My "HiFi" system is currently very 80s flavoured - Originally a Planar 3 through a 3020i and Monitor Audio 242s, now the planar (with all my vinyl) is in my office running two Control 1s as nearfields through a Rotel (another 80s budget amp). The 3020 and the speakers are still in the lounge connected to a Sony CD and our television with occasionally an iphone/ipod via aux. Its all a long way from modern HiFi ;-)

Now we have a second baby, my wife wants at least the speakers to go wireless. We dont really want (nor can we really afford) a multiroom system with wireless sources too, although that would be an option if it offers the best quality. At minimum I would want wireless stereo speakers, Id be happy to look at a 5.1 cinema system with wireless fronts and/or rears and if all else fails, look at multiroom.

Im not at all worried about reassigning the amp (although Im happy to keep it) and binning the speakers but the system should be able to deal with CD, TV and iPod at least in good stereo (at least not worse than my current setup).

Most of the available wireless speakers seem to be better PC-systems or outdoor PAs and although Teufel, the German manufacturer, had an interesting wireless 5.1 system, they are now pushing multiroom. Budget is low - Anything over 1000UKP will hurt, more than 2000 and Id rather argue with the wife over the cables currently lying around.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and Ive seen the KEF wireless units but they are blinkin expensive for what they are and no-one seems to like them.

Thanks for your help.

Hi and welcome.

No magic answers, I'm afraid, but I do fear you may struggle to get anything like you are describing.

I would have thought you either need to go a route like Sonos, or just get a bit more creative about your wiring - whether that is channeling into wall/floor/ceiling or just popping it in some trunking.

The price (too high) versus sound quality (too low!) for wireless speakers makes them bit of a non-starter for me.

Look forward to seeing others' suggestions and what you decide.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
What about keeping what you have and just making it more baby-friendly? For example, reposition your system and re-route cables so there are less hazards. Anyhow there's no such thing as completely wireless speakers unless they run on batteries; the receiver and amp in them has to receive power somehow. So that's you only exchanged a speaker-cable for a mains-cable.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts