Tomyum

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Arcam alpha 10 amp

B&W 685 speakers

B&W ASW750 sub

Computer with Flac files well ripped.

Hi all,

I have sacked my Nad c542 cd player off in favour of flac files from my computer as my main source.

I tried using a usb - digital out to the Dac of my Sony mini disc deck MDS-JB930 but the quality isn't up to much compare to the nad cd play.

What would be a suitable dac be for my system? I don't want it to be excessive but again I don't want it to be a limiting factor.

It's unlikely I will be updating my system for a while.

Would a HRT microStreamer be up to the job?

What would you recommend?

Many thanks, Tom

Tomyum

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

Yes all on my laptop and will be used in the same room as my hifi.

If the HRT microStreamer is that capable and up to the job as my main source with my hifi then it would be the obvious one to go for I guess. Half the price of the Arcam irDAC although it limited to just the computer if i did want to add anything at a later date.

Can you shed any light on the apple airport express? stream music from laptop via wifi and has an optical out for an external dac. Would this create inferior music quality?

Many thanks, Tom

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Tomyum said:
Can you shed any light on the apple airport express? stream music from laptop via wifi and has an optical out for an external dac. Would this create inferior music quality?

A great bit of kit, either feeding a DAC or utilising its own internal DAC.

I have a couple dotted around the house, my main system is fed by the Mac mini though.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Tomyum said:

In my experience, the answer is undoubtedly 'yes'. This is a similar question to another post, so here's a cross-link to what I said there:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/which-dacfile-player-with-airplay#comment-2945458

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
BMFDrums said:
Tomyum said:

In my experience, the answer is undoubtedly 'yes'. This is a similar question to another post, so here's a cross-link to what I said there:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/which-dacfile-player-with-airplay#comment-2945458

What evidence do you have for the sound being inferior and inferior to what? I have read your post and you don't seem to understand the technology, but persist with a lot of the myths surrounding digital.

An Airport Express, along with a great many other DACs is quite able to produce superior results and it's limitation of 16 bit/44.1KHz is not actually one a sound quality, but rather file type.

Generally, those involved in HiFi and who have invested a lot of money in the past in their systems, do not want to understand that a cheap device like the AEX can do all that is required for optimum CD quality playback.

A much greater focus and budget allocation needs to be given to the speakers.

Tomyum

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I have ordered a HRT microStreamer so looking forward to hearing that.

My next question, Ideally it would be nice to be able to have the laptop away from the HiFi say 3 metres to be able to control what's playing. Will this make a noticeable difference to sound quality?

Would a longer usb cable or longer 3.5mm to RCA cable be advised. Which would deteriorate the sound more over a long distance? I'm tempted to get a shorter USB and a decent jack to phono lead say a QED performance J2P Graphite or perhaps the QED reference Audio J2P if the system warrants the extra expense?

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Tomyum

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry didn't even see your posts before asking about cables!

Ordered the HRT microstreamer for £150 off amazon which was the last one so might be able to try and sell again without loss possibly.

Then I could try both side by side.

Thanks

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Overdose, thank-you for your forthright response. To tackle your points in turn:

Overdose said:
What evidence do you have for the sound being inferior and inferior to what?

If you had indeed read the previous post and the one that it linked to, you would have seen that I was referring to two elements:

1) There are better DACs available than the one contained within an Apple Airport Express, and;

2) There are alternative streaming solutions that offer advantages and disadvantages when compared with an AEx.

The sound from the analogue output of an AEx is inferior to that from a number of DACs, but the four others that I have at the moment and consider to sound 'better' (mainly in terms of presenting a more 'natural' and 'organic', i.e. realistic sound) are an Audiolab 8200CDQ, Audiolab M-DAC, Beresford Bushmaster, and HiFiBerry. I'm sure you'll be able to find many others that agree that whilst the AEx delivers perfectly adequate analogue output, it is not up there with the best DACS, albeit many of those cost a lot more money. As for other streaming solutions, even much cheaper options can produce benefits over-and-above the AEX, notably in terms of jitter, which can impact on sound quality. The RaspberryPi + HiFiBerry DAC is a case in point, but the main down-side for me of the AEx is that it does not offer audio out via USB, which I have found to be preferable to S/PDIF (Toslink). So, for example, the CuBox i2 Ultra that I referred to has both USB and S/PDIF output, so is more flexible.

Overdose said:
...you don't seem to understand the technology, but persist with a lot of the myths surrounding digital.

Strong words - perhaps you could expand? I understand the technology sufficiently well to have implemented a multi-room AEx set-up and a number of alternatives, including a RaspberryPi running the Linux Volumio code, via USB to some of my current DACs, and also direct to analogue with the on-board HiFiBerry DAC. Having done so, I took the time to write up my findings on these Forums in the hope that they would be useful for others.

Overdose said:
An Airport Express, along with a great many other DACs is quite able to produce superior results...

What evidence do you have for the sound being superior and superior to what? Sorry, but I'm afraid you have fallen into your own trap there.

Overdose said:
...it's limitation of 16 bit/44.1KHz is not actually one a sound quality, but rather file type

I don't wish to get into a debate over whether hi-res files sound better or not, nor to split hairs over the difference between bit depth, sampling rates and file types, which I believe you have incorrectly conflated here. I was simply advising the (other) OP that AEx cannot play files at higher resolutions than 16/44, whereas other DACs and streamers can. As I said in my other post (that one that you claim to have read), "None of these may be particularly important to you, in which case please ignore this post and go with th AEx - it is a functional and relatively capable device that I have enjoyed for many years now." That was referring to the three points that I had made above in that post, i.e. USB output, hi-res playback, and direct streaming from a NAS.

Overdose said:
... a cheap device like the AEX can do all that is required for optimum CD quality playback.

'Optimum' is a very contentious and unsubstantiated statement in this context, especially as I have pointed out previously that some AEx units have very high levels of jitter, so much so that I cannot use the Gen 2 AEx with my Audiolab 8200CDQ - it continually loses 'lock', causing drop-outs and pops from the speakers. I don't consider that to be 'optimum'. I have already covered the point about hi-res above, but you are correct - AEx is limited to 16/44, i.e. the same as a CD.

Overdose said:
A much greater focus and budget allocation needs to be given to the speakers.

The OP of this thread asked the question "What would be a suitable dac be for my system? I don't want it to be excessive but again I don't want it to be a limiting factor." He also went on to add, "It's unlikely I will be updating my system for a while." So, whilst you may be correct in your assertion about the budget for speakers, he has some decent speakers already. I really don't see how that point is helping to answer his question.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that the OP has now bought a seperate DAC and can connect via a number of methods, one of which may prove to be an AEx. From my own direct comparison of a number of seperate DACs with the analogue output from an AEx, I am sure that he will find it to be superior.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
I would recommend an AEX, which would allow connection without any wires to the computer at all.....

Whereas I would investigate what the OP is asking about before writing down what you already have and think is great.

To that end, I would definitely NOT buy an Apple Airport Express, as it has an S/PDIF optical (Toslink) output, which is not compatible with the HRT microStreamer that the OP has just bought (and said so in the previous post), as it is a USB-connected device. If you wish to ignore your recent purchase, then go ahead with an AEx.

Alternative streamers are available should you wish to pursue that approach - see the multi-room thread I referred to previously.

Tomyum

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

I did read your link regarding the AEX and that's when I decided to go for the HRT microStreamer.

I had noticed that the AEX wouldn't be compatible with the HRT. I think that if I was thinking of going down the route of the AEX I would first start with a Dac that had more flexibility (i.e. varying inputs like the Arcam irDAC) so that something like the AEX could be added at a later date if wires were a pain. However on reflection and peoples experiences adding an AEX wouldn't be much of an upgrade other than no lead to my laptop and might actually be weak link in my system regarding sound quality?

Just to clear up, however much I like the idea of convenience with regards to wireless and niceties for listening to my music I wouldn’t trade it for out and out sound quality. That is the reason I spend my hard earned money on HiFi, I love my music to sound good, if it is detrimental to the quality regardless of it’s convenience I probably won’t be buying it for my system.

Which brings me back to one of my questions haha, which cable, usb or analogue, would be better to have long to travel the distance from laptop to amp and can you recommend any to suit my system requirements.

Thanks very much!

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Tom

You mentioned 3m between laptop and amp - correct? I would probably go for a longer USB cable and keep the analogue path shorter (0.75m or so). You may wish to take that with a pinch of salt, though, as I don't really understand the technology (apparently).

Depending on what laptop you have and how you play your music (e.g. iTunes), you could always put the DAC close to your amp and use a free app like Apple Remote to control the tunes. That way, you can keep the signal path short and still enjoy the flexibility of being able to control the tunes from wherever you are in your house. Just a thought...

Tomyum

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I would say about 3meters.

I have been using iTunes but I have started ripping my cd's to Flac via dBpoweramp as I understood Flac files would be more flexable, so I have started to use FooBar2000. Have to say I'm missing iTunes as I knew my way around it!

Sounds like a great idea I will have a look and see if there's something similar for FooBar.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I think you are correct in that FLAC files do not have the sharing and compatibility limitations that Apple file formats do. However, if you're happy with iTunes and are willing to continue using Apple file protocols, then you could always rip your CDs to ALAC, which is (allegedly) just as good as FLAC in terms of the amount of information retained. That way, you can use your laptop to play back all of the files using Remote on your 'phone/tablet.

If you would prefer to continue with FLAC and foobar2000, I found this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cav.foobar2000controller

I have no experience of either foobar2000 or the remote app, so can't comment on how well it works. I can tell you that in my system (iMac + iTunes + 3 x AEx) , the Remote app works brilliantly. Apart from a slight delay on first use (when the compute wakes up from 'sleep'), it is really quick to use, offers all that you need to playback songs, playlists, albums, etc. It also enable you to search for tracks/albums, and to enable/disable different Airplay devices and control the volume of each separately. You can even use Remote to create and edit playlists. And, because it's free, it's the best value app I have...!

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Tom

I also spotted this further down my previous Google search:

http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/iphonetouch-remote-app-with-foobar

It would appear that it may be possible to control foobar with the Remote app. I've not tried it and I did note that the article is quite old, but you could experiment free of charge. Provided you can put your laptop near your amp, you should have a really capable and user-friendly set-up with the microStreamer. Job done!

Please do report back on what you found works well so that I can add it to my 'memory bank'...!

:cheers:

Tomyum

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Brilliant stuff! Thanks very much for the great info!!

I will have a go when the HRT turns up. Still not really figured out how to use foobar2000 yet... Still in the process of ripping all my cd's.

Will give you an update in a few days hopefully.

Tomyum

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

Sorry for the big delay but I have just downloaded the app from google play for foobar and spotify for that matter and both work brilliantly! Couldn't be happier. Thanks for all the help!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts