Unlimited Media content access - What would you pay?

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
OK - here's a completely hypothetical question...

If you had access to unlimited media, and by that I mean EVERYTHING - every film, TV programme, music track - what would you be prepared to pay? I had this discussion with a colleauge at work recently and was wondering what others thought. Basically if you could pay 'someone' to download content generally found on torrent sites LEGALLY, what would you be prepared to pay.

I firmly believe that if such a service was available, and reasonably priced, it would virtually erradicate piracy, much like drug legalization negates the need for a black market - at least in the affluent counties of the world that would could afford to pay. And if it was available on such a scale, so much money would be generated, the economics would allow a reasonable price to be charged, and everyone with the content's rights could share the revenue on the basis of what was consumed. You could still by a hard copy if you wanted - but generally, it would opperate like spotify, in that you could stream the content.

We are living in an age where this could be a reality if, IMO, there was not so much corporate greed.

I believe most people who download illegaly wouldn't do so if the service was available at a fair price.

Personally I would be be prepared to pay £50 a month.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
£10.

Seems like every company is hell bent on getting us, the consumer, onto a streaming subscripton contract because it guarantees repeat revenues and protects the record company rights and artist IP.

Make the price suitably low, so that there is almost universal takeup (in the same way that there is almost universal mobile phone ownerhsip) and piracy might not be worth the effort.

I currently listen to digital radio (free), Spotify/Last.FM (free), and buy about £10-£15 of genuine CDs/DVDs per month. I am considering the Pure music streaming service because it is reasonably priced at £5/month. And I will consider making donations to the radio stations I listen to the most.

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
£10 hehe. I think £10 is a little low for TV and film as well as music.

I told my wife about this post and she said "£50 - you wouldn't pay that much!"

When I think about it, she is right.

OK - I'd definitely pay £30...

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
markyd said:
I believe most people who download illegaly wouldn't do so if the service was available at a fair price.

I would like to think it would work but the majority who download illegally, will continue to do so. You can already subscribe to numerous services for only a few pounds per month with access to all types of media, yet do any of these people subscribe?

markyd said:
I firmly believe that if such a service was available, and reasonably priced, it would virtually erradicate piracy, much like drug legalization negates the need for a black market.

Consider two already legalised drugs: alcohol and tobacco? The UK appears to have quite a healthy black market for these items!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
markyd said:
£10 hehe. I think £10 is a little low for TV and film as well as music.

No .. totally serious ... I can get unlimited music steaming for £5 and film/TV streaming for £6.

def lugs said:
Consider two already legalised drugs: alcohol and tobacco? The UK appears to have quite a healthy black market for these items!

That's because these are high value items, and a significant proportion is made up of tax/duty.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
tino said:
That's because these are high value items, and a significant proportion is made up of tax/duty.

A touch off topic:

Question is why do you think they are taxed? Could it be to cover some of the cost that these items burden on our society. Think how much even the illnesses related to these drugs weigh in on our health service without even considering antisocial behaviours.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Slightly back on topic.

Going back to the OP if a lot of people went down this route I don't think the broadband infrastructure in this country would have a snowballs chance in hell of coping with the demand placed upon it.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
If it was on demand and included (EVERYTHING), then £50 would be very cheap.

EVERYTHING would then of course include all live sport, all films ever made, all TV shows etc.

How much is a Sky TV package with films and Sport? And that doesn't include music.

But as has been mentioned, the infrastructure would need an overhaul.

Apart from that it can't happen. Too many people would lose out for it to be a near-future reality.

John Duncan

25 quid tops. I pay £10 for unlimited music (or thereabouts) and spend about £10 max a month for all the films I could want at the Blockbuster store in Twickenham (the lovefilm model wasn't working for me). Most of the telly I need is on iPlayer or the other channels' equivalents, and I haven't got time for anything else.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Full Sky package plus monthly TV licence fee (don't forget that) cost plus Spotify premium plus one cinema visit (and/or a couple of new DVD/BDs) = £100 easily :O

So anything less than that - and at the best possible quality - would be good. Ain't gonna happen, though....

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
markyd said:
I firmly believe that if such a service was available, and reasonably priced, it would virtually erradicate piracy, much like drug legalization negates the need for a black market - at least in the affluent counties of the world that would could afford to pay.

Sorry, but that's just not going to work. If I can't afford £50, then guess what? That's right, I'm going to download illegally. Then, in the non-affluent countries, you've created a 2 tier world so they'll pirate all the more. Now, sensing the growing piracy, the content provider decides to up their prices to make up for it. The consumer now has nowhere to go as ALL content is only available from Apple/Murdoch (let's face it, it'll be one or the other).

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Lee H said:
If I can't afford £50, then guess what? That's right, I'm going to download illegally. Then, in the non-affluent countries, you've created a 2 tier world so they'll pirate all the more. Now, sensing the growing piracy, the content provider decides to up their prices to make up for it. The consumer now has nowhere to go as ALL content is only available from Apple/Murdoch (let's face it, it'll be one or the other).

I am interested to know if you could not afford the TV/system to play the media on would you also steal those?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
def lugs said:
Lee H said:
If I can't afford £50, then guess what? That's right, I'm going to download illegally. Then, in the non-affluent countries, you've created a 2 tier world so they'll pirate all the more. Now, sensing the growing piracy, the content provider decides to up their prices to make up for it. The consumer now has nowhere to go as ALL content is only available from Apple/Murdoch (let's face it, it'll be one or the other).

I am interested to know if you could not afford the TV/system to play the media on would you also steal those?

I don't think Lee is talking about himself.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
def lugs said:
Lee H said:

You've taken me too literally. The reason people illegally download today is they can't/won't pay for it. So regardless of the fee, for some it'll be too much. For "I" read, much of the public. Like it or not, to many, music IS free.

I own plenty of CDs, I pay £10 to Spotify every month, considerable more to Sky and get my books on a Kindle via Amazon, so yes, I pay for all my content.

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Though it seems like it wont happen, If someone had told you about Spotify 10 years ago allowing the unlimited service it offers today - you would have been equally sceptical. Then there is a huge amount available free on Youtube and similar sites.

Lets face it, Films revenue is generally covered by global cinema ticket sales - so by the time it reaches DVD/Blu-Ray/Paid Download, it 'should' have turned a profit. TV advertising is still a lucrative stream for broadcasters - so could be incorporated into a unlimited business model (within reason!). And the music industry is still proppped up by live performances - failing that you can now make it on your laptop with virtually no financial overhead (studio time, distribution costs etc). What I'm getting at, is content owners can still make a profit with or without addressing piracy.

Yes some people will never pay for anything, whether they can afford it or not, but many will - just object to being overcharged. I know I do. If it were to be organized by Apple/Murdoch then yes, I agree that profit obsession would push the price out of sensible reach. Perhaps they are the only comercial opperations with the reach to organize something of this magnitude, but I still think its possible to do it at a realistic price if the take up numbers are there.

Oh, and I'd just like to add I'm talking about good quality media streaming not low bit-rate rubbish.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts