Universal remote

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking for a remote to control my cd player, amplifier, tv, dvd player, and freeview box. I don't want to spend more than £80 really but will strectch if its worth it. I'm mainly concerned with ease of use and aesthetics and I would prefer one which is backlit. Any ideas? Logitech my best option? My CD and Amp are made by NAD, I think they have a universal control? Anyone used it?

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I have the Harmony 525, and couldn't be happier with it. Easy to program, easy to use, good battery life and looks ok too. Cost me £50 so is well within your budget, I was looking at the next model up but didn't see the need for it so stuck with the 525.

A

Anonymous

B&Q have reduced electric accessories to make way for new range. if your quick you can pick up kamaleon 6 all in one for 20 quid reduced from 60 quid. there's a couple of other types too.

A

Anonymous

One word "Harmony".

I have the 895 which is outside your budget, but the whole range are programmed and operated in the same way. As already suggested look at the 525.

A

Anonymous

i really like the idea of the harmony remotes, and they look very tidy too. I had one of the earlier Philips Pronto's and loved it - however, it went missing during a house move.

The only thing that has put me off is my sky remote. i don't really want to buy a 'do it all' only to keep going back to the comfort of my Sky+ remote. Can anyone who has experience using any of the Harmony's for sky+ duties comment on ease of use?

as always my wife will probably be the biggest barrier....

Also, ease of setting these things up? I found setting up the Pronto a real pain in the ass, mostly down to lack of patience.

A

Anonymous

Got an 885, works with Sky+ no problems, you may have to assign some extra buttons but it's not an issue. I don't know how the cheaper ones do things though.

R

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I use the Harmony 525 with my Sky HD box, no problems at all. You have all the coloured buttons at the bottom, your directional buttons and select are between the volume and channel buttons as it is on the sky remote. Fast forward, play, pause, record etc are all standard buttons. The only thing you have to do is programme a Sky button, which I have put on the exit button. All other functions are set up automatically.

My wife can use it, and unfortunately my 4 year old has now worked out how to use it too (I keep finding my hard drive full of playhouse disney programmes)

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="FoxJA"]unfortunately my 4 year old has now worked out how to use it too (I keep finding my hard drive full of playhouse disney programmes)[/quote]

How is the Bear in the Big Blue House nowdays??? lol
emotion-19.gif

A

Anonymous

ok, got the harmony 525 from Amazon - for under £44 too. Dispatched yesterday. I've loaded the software from Logitech.co.uk but it won't let me do anything until I connect the remote via USB.....

I was kind of hoping to set my devices up prior to its arrival. any way around this?

A

Anonymous

You shouldn't need to have the remote connected to define your devices and activities. It normally only asks you to connect the remote when you click the Update Remote button. I haven't used the software for a while since I haven't needed to make any changes, but I'm pretty sure that is the case.

The only reason is perhaps because you are setting up your account and it needs to register which remote you have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts