Universal opts out of HD DVD exclusivity

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Now that Universal has opted out of HD DVD exclusivity, as well as Warner and maybe even Paramount sooner or later, is there any point in buying a HD-DVD player???

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Ginder"]Now that Universal has opted out of HD DVD exclusivity[/quote]

Your source, please...?

This appears to have come from the Variety piece the other day, which has since been updated to add:

"Neither studio is ready to throw in the towel immediately, however. On
Thursday, Universal broke its silence about the matter to say that it
plans to keep supporting the format for the time being, a pledge Par[amount]
made earlier in the week. And in any case, U[niversal] is committed to a series
of HD DVD promotions in coming months"

Elsewhere Ken Graffeo, executive vice
president of HD strategic marketing for Universal Studios Home
Entertainment (and also co-president of the HD DVD Promotional Group), has been quoted as saying that "The response would have come sooner, but many HD DVD executives were
on flights home from CES when the story from Variety broke.

"Contrary to unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources, Universal's
current plan is to continue to support the HD DVD format."

A

Anonymous

Heard the news on a popular gaming website, heres the link:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6184567.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;2

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Ginder"]Heard the news on a popular gaming website, heres the link:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6184567.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;2[/quote]

Yes, that's the Variety report, since refuted.

A

Anonymous

Oh ok, but even then, is it worth buying a hd-dvd player now or would it be better to wait a little longer to see what happens??

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
i agree with Andrew - though if they start heavily discounting HD DVD players, you could pick yourself up a bargain upscaling DVD player that also happens to play some (also likely to be very cheap) HD movies....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Mind you, PS3 aside, not too tempted by the current crop of sensibly-priced Blu-ray machines. And the loss of the SACD capability on the 40GB PS3 kind of puts me off getting one of them - having missed out on the 60GB ones - as I know how good this machine can sound as an SACD player.

nads

i have to agree with both of you on this. But as a person that bought an XE-1 just before new year (£350 was a fair price) I have to say that it does work very well also as an upscaling DVD player (not that i needed one as i have one). It was a bit of a surprise to sit down on the Saturday after 25 hours on the ferry to hear that Warners had jumped. But i will be claiming my free HDDVD's and picking up movies that i do not have on SD DVD. My biggest shock came on that Saturday as i went to all the retail outlets out here to try and get an HD DVD i only found one! So i have turned to the Net which i hate but will be using extensively in the future. As to NOW i would not buy either just carry on with Upscaled DVD's.

A

Anonymous

Are the 60gb ps3's not available anymore? As a gaming console i feel the ps3 is not up to par with the 360 just yet and i dont fancy buying a games console just to watch Blu-ray movies. I guess dvds will have to do for the time being!! Cheers for the replies guys.

A

Anonymous

The 60GB model is no longer in production, and once the current stock is exhausted then that's it. It's becoming rather difficult to find I believe, though you may still find them in some stores. The 40GB model is still very good value, but it does miss some nice features like SACD playback, PS2 back-compatibility, memory card slots, and has only 2 of the 4 USB sockets that the 60GB model has.

The main thing the PS3 has going for it is that Sony heavily subsidise it, so you are getting far more hardware for the money (even if the money does seem fairly substantial). Remember that as well as being a high def games console, it is also a very capable (and certainly the most future-proof) Blu-ray player, as well as being a networked media streamer too. Due to the subsidy it is still one of the cheapest Blu-ray players available (and the only ones cheaper right now are Profile 1.0), so even if you have no interest in the gaming aspect whatsoever it is still arguably the best choice of Blu-ray player right now (considering its upgradability), as well as being a very capable network media extender. I'd still buy it now purely as a Blu-ray player, even though I make use of all of its functionality (bar SACD playback) myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts