Uniti Star, or not Uniti Star!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Some, sort of!! But I question if you are trying to sell a Leema or a Rega?!

You've now lowered the price of the Tucana even more, just to fit in a £200 Phono stage (Did you work for Bojo?)
That's without confirming the unit hasn't been used and abused for years.
Now what about the DAC? Are you lowering the price of the Tucana again, just to squeeze in a DAC?!!!
This says to me the unit is not worth £1300, and they are desperate to sell (broken!!)

Now size? How do I fit in a seperates Phono stage and DAC?
Because right now, with your insistence on a Tucana (Which wouldn't fit because of the extras), you have actually pushed me back to Naim or Rega!

Now to what it sounds like. You have just said the Rega has a similar sound, and with the Rega more in my budget!!! You get the picture.
Plus you admitted the Rega is worth the money, whereas you make it sound like your 2nd hand Tucana is broken!
How long were you a salesman for? Because Leema aren't too happy with you right now!

What did I say, the hard sell rarely works on me now!

Now being slightly more serious:

I wouldn't trust 2nd hand for such items. Brand new with warranty only.

But I shall do you a deal. Supply me with guaranteed winning lottery numbers, and I will purchase the Tucana Mk2! Can't ask fairer than that!
This is exactly why I'm reluctant to recommend Leema, I get it thrown back in my face. I'm not trying to sell you any brand. Most modern amps are of high quality (generalising) and we all want the biggest bang for our buck as possible - few come bigger than the Tucana, given your budget.

I haven't changed the price of that particular Leema, but if you look on the link I posted it says £1300 and underneath it also says "make an offer". I reckon, given it's a buyers market due to the pandemic, he may except £1100 or thereabouts.

And no, there was nothing wrong with my Tucana. It was sold because my business van needed to be replaced and rather than digging too deep into my savings, the 2k helped towards a replacement van... and I had the Pulse in the attic.

I'm pulling out of this thread.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I wasn't aware PP was trying to sell anything.
Any further discussion on this might be seen as harassment and I will lock this thread

A bit of light hearted banter and the ability to laugh at others and oneself. Nobody said anyone was trying to sell anything. Well, it was quite clear to me, so I certainly wouldn't seriously make out as though he was.

A very educational thread, as I have learnt a bit about Leema, for which I thank PP.

Not to worry though. Lock to your hearts delight.
Au revoir.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
This is exactly why I'm reluctant to recommend Leema, I get it thrown back in my face. I'm not trying to sell you any brand. Most modern amps are of high quality (generalising) and we all want the biggest bang for our buck as possible - few come bigger than the Tucana, given your budget.

I haven't changed the price of that particular Leema, but if you look on the link I posted it says £1300 and underneath it also says "make an offer". I reckon, given it's a buyers market due to the pandemic, he may except £1100 or thereabouts.

And no, there was nothing wrong with my Tucana. It was sold because my business van needed to be replaced and rather than digging too deep into my savings, the 2k helped towards a replacement van... and I had the Pulse in the attic.

I'm pulling out of this thread.

Well I'm very sorry you saw it that way.
It was all banter. Nothing more.

Oh, and I wasn't on about your Tucana as such. But the one you linked to. T'was all part of the banter. Ie if someone starts reducing prices, you start asking why.

As I say. Sorry if it came across differently, but the whole of that post was pretty much light hearted humour. Apart from pointing out that the Tucana unfortunately wouldn't work in my case. More money and more space, then Crikey yes. But unfortunately not right now.

As for having Leema thrown back in your face. Far from it. Anything but. You have found a really good product that you feel deserves shouting about. I say keep it up.

Certainly your pointing out Leema has been extremely beneficial to me, and I think I mentioned that I would be trying out the Pulse Amp and Elements CD player. Do I wish they were a little bit cheaper? Of course. But it turns out the local ish shop I got my RP1 from also sells Leema, so a good listen of Leema and Rega is the order of the day.
One things for sure. Absolutely nothing thrown back at you, and I hope to see you advertising Leema some more. Perhaps once I've heard them, I can join in lol

Reactions: plastic penguin

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Well I decided to bite the bullet, in perhaps the least sensible way!
With Audio T doing a flash sale for Bristol HIFI week (I think thats what it was), I took the plunge and ordered a full Rega set without listening to it.
Saturn R, Elicit R and RX3s. Using my old stuff for part ex.
Eventually got the Rega's home yesterday.
Sound wise, no problems. I am hearing things I never noticed before. It is very clear, neutral, and has decent detail to it.
The Saturn R also connects nicely to the TV, and I now have much clearer, bolder sound from the TV.
So very happy in this respect, and looking forward to seeing how everything improves as they warm up.

But problems and annoyances-
1- It seems as though the the Saturn R does not accept USB sticks with music on. I'm sure it will work from the computer (not tried yet), but straight USBs are not recognised. The laptop will be tried later.
2- The CD player is a Friday afternoon jobbie. It keeps skip starting and jumping. On some CDs, I am struggling to get any tracks to work properly. On others, it is mainly the beginning and end of the album.
These are the same CDs I was using with no problems on my old Marantz player just the day before.

Annoyed regarding the USBs, but the skip starting is just one of those things. Lets see how Audio T and Rega sort the problem out.

D

Deleted member 108165

Not a good start for brand new kit, that CD player is not a budget player. As for USB connection it only accepts USB B type so you'll need to connect it to a PC... should have been a bit more thorough with your homework :)
Keep us informed of your progress.

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Not a good start for brand new kit, that CD player is not a budget player. As for USB connection it only accepts USB B type so you'll need to connect it to a PC... should have been a bit more thorough with your homework :)
Keep us informed of your progress.

I was led to believe if I attached a USB via an adaptor, it should be OK. Purchased a USB B male to USB A female adaptor but alas, it does not seem to recognise anything. Never mind. I knew there was a slight risk in this regards, and it was something I was willing to accept. Otherwise I wouldnt have purchased without testing it all.
All is ok via my laptop though. Kept an old printer cable after i chucked the printer. Glad I did, as it does the trick!
For something this price, I would have expected a proper USB connection, with the ability to play from USB recordings, but it is rare to find something that ticks every box.

It certainly isn't a budget player, but CD players skipping is nothing new. It shouldn't happen at this price point, but the truth will be in how it is handled now.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Glad you think so :confused_old:

Well, it is a CD player. Not the first time I have had CD players do it. Admittedly the Marantz never did it, but things fail. Even brand new items can have little things like this.
I do expect better from Rega, much better. But now we put it to the test. How do Audio T and Rega fix the problem.

Gray

Well, it is a CD player. Not the first time I have had CD players do it. Admittedly the Marantz never did it, but things fail. Even brand new items can have little things like this.
I do expect better from Rega, much better. But now we put it to the test. How do Audio T and Rega fix the problem.
Well the first thing that happens, is that Audio T provide a brand new replacement. They will be prepared for you to accept nothing less.
It's not a 'little thing' James, please don't say that to them.
Next, you extensively test the replacement to ensure it's perfect.....

Last edited:

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Well the first thing that happens James, is that Audio T provide a brand new replacement. They will expect you to accept nothing less.
It's not a 'little thing' James, please don't say that to them.
Next, you fully test the replacement to ensure it's perfect.....

Perhaps I hadn't been clear. My fault.
Whilst I may sound complacent, it is more me being 'accepting that things can and do go wrong'.
But that does not mean I will accept inferior items (or in this case, items which clearly do not work). Trust me, I've sent things back for a lot less!
One online seller tried to send me a 'dustpan and brush' which was a different brand to which I ordered. I reckon they were trying to pull a fast one, so they got short shrift from me, and it was re packaged before anyone could say 'Boo'!
So if anyone thinks I will accept anything less than a perfect Saturn R, have no fear.

The reason I use the term 'little' is because it could be (and probably is) something as silly as the laser. Such a small item. But nevertheless.
When I say 'Lets see how they fix the issue', that is my polite way of putting it, and I have no doubt everybody will do the right thing without me needing to read the riot act.

Deep down I am rather annoyed, and upset. I like the looks and simplicity of the Rega stuff (once you work out how to swap between the inputs on the Elicit R), and the speakers are brilliant. Simple looking things, but with an effortless energy about them (I don't require my innards to be defibbed back to life with bass). Plus quite attractive things in their own way.
I'm hearing things in recordings that I didn't hear before. Background vocals are now there in all their detail. The feeling in both voices and instruments comes alive, especially in live recordings.
People talk about different setups being good for different types of music, and they are right. I noticed it when auditioning my previous little setup.
But I'm pretty certain the Rega setup here would work with pretty much anything. It just plays what it is meant to play, how it is meant to play it.
So once I have a working CD player, and assuming all is sorted with the minimum of fuss and delay, I'm sure my answer to any question would be 'Rega'. Or so I certainly hope, and expect.
The answer is Rega, now whats the question?!!!

Some may think me daft splashing this amount of money on something without listening to it first. But, I liked the way Roy Gandy speaks, and what he says. That was part of my basis, and so far, it seems to have worked.

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 108165

Some may think me daft splashing this amount of money on something without listening to it first. But, I liked the way Roy Gandy speaks, and what he says. That was part of my basis, and so far, it seems to have worked.
I don't think you're daft, I've bought all my kit in exactly the same way :) It does pay to audition but so far I've been lucky.

Reactions: Al ears

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
And then buy a Marantz :)

Kick a man whilst he is down, why don't you!!

I like Marantz. Easy to use, and just works. CD players sound good as well. Well, as much as you can work out how much of a difference the CD player is making. Just a shame their Amps dont work as well as I'd expect, certainly when combined with their CD players.

Assuming I get a working Saturn R though, a Marantz would seem like a downgrade.

D

Deleted member 108165

Assuming I get a working Saturn R though, a Marantz would seem like a downgrade.
Have you had a look at the Marantz reference range lately... downgrade? I beg to differ, but my opinion is purely personal.

Reactions: nopiano

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I don't think you're daft, I've bought all my kit in exactly the same way :) It does pay to audition but so far I've been lucky.

Yep, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
I don't think I'd try this for anything other than Rega gear though. Oh, and Harbeth speakers. I'd be confident in chucking those onto my setup here without a worry. From what I can tell, they are another that play what they are meant to play, how they are meant to play it.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Have you had a look at the Marantz reference range lately... downgrade? I beg to differ, but my opinion is purely personal.

I can't say I have. They do look smart though. Well, from the pictures i have just seen.
At that price point though, I'd hope they do at least match the Rega's, and I've no doubt they do.

Unfortunately I probably never will hear them. I've got my setup now, with no intention of changing it until it fails on me, and that shouldn't be for many many years- Ah!!! Well, you know what I mean!

Gray

.....I liked the way Roy Gandy speaks, and what he says. That was part of my basis, and so far, it seems to have worked.
I understand the appeal of the company to you James (I've seen it from the inside as I worked there).
You say you intend to end up with a perfect CDP, rightly so.
Can only tell you that, for me, that would have to be a new replacement. I would not accept any repair of the defective unit.

My Marantz CDP by the way, never any problem since purchase 19 years ago....famous last words :)

I hope things work out well for you.

Last edited:

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I understand the appeal of the company to you James (I've seen it from the inside as I worked there).
Can only tell you that, for me, that would have to be a new replacement. I would not accept any repair of the defective unit.

My Marantz CDP by the way, never any problem since purchase 19 years ago....famous last words :)

Well it can't be too bad if an ex employee seems to agree.
Usually employees and ex employees only see the warts!!
I've come round to Gandy's view on streaming as well.
Not that I do streaming, but playing back some live recordings off my laptop, interspersed with some YouTube, yesterday evening, showed me that there is little need to have something that does everything.
Just open up your preferred streaming site on your laptop (Or perhaps phone) and plug in to your amp/ DAC.
Yesterday showed how easy it is to swap and change between digital sources, and without some fancy streamer. I can't imagine an all singing, all dancing, amp/ streaming device would be as simple.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

Oh and don't worry, a new unit it will have to be.
I think there are delays on their CD player production line though. The Saturn took 3 to 4 weeks from ordering. Delays with one of the parts I think.
I dont really want to be without a CD player for another 4 weeks, and as I can utilise the DAC, I intend to keep the unit until the replacement is ready.

Anyway, Audio T are back in tomorrow. Let's see what they say.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
So Rega are supplying a new unit.

Audio T have said they will ship the unit to me and pick the old one up, as I live quite a drive away.
But I have said I will pop by when they have the new unit in, and suggested something which benefits everybody.

If between them, Audio T and Rega can find some goodwill in compensation for the Friday afternoon CD player, then I will purchase a Planar 3 from them, complete with Exact cartridge.
But I won't be paying full price.
Audio T have agreed to do something (can't knock Audio T Southampton so far), but he has to see if Rega will chip in as well.

I think I am being quite fair. Win win win all round I think.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
So as mentioned elsewhere, the Saturn R has slowly woken up. This morning it was still skipping a bit, but now it's running perfectly.
So I've agreed for now, all is fine, but I shall keep an eye on it.

Rega had agreed to some goodwill along with AudioT on a P3/ Exact cart/ Neo PSU.
But fairs fair, for now there is no need for that goodwill!
However, I have agreed a price with AudioT on a P6. The price on these isn't actually much more once you add a Neo to the P3.

D

Deleted member 108165

Looks like a spoke too soon. The Saturn has suddenly started playing up again.
Send the damned thing back, it's faulty and is never going to work properly. Keep it too long and it'll be out of guarantee and then you can kiss goodbye to any gentlemen's agreement you may currently have with Audio T and Rega. Send it back and get a replacement now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts