Uniti Star, or not Uniti Star!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Nicely found, Thankyou very much.
Id take a punt on it if I was at home right now. Hopefully it is still there when I get back in couple of weeks.

Was doing more digging on the Linn Majik DSM, and decided it had too many downsides. Not least the USB slot was on the back and was the wrong type, and it didn't seem to have enough analogue inputs to keep both my turntable and CD player connected.

Speaker wise- Realised I was starting to go a bit silly price wise, and so have had to reign myself in.
So unless those under £1500 P3 ESRs are absolutely sublime, then the max I will come to is the Rega RX3. Even that price is mad, but I like the look of the RX3 speakers. Plus I like Mr Gandys outlook!

Still, it gives me enough speakers to try out.

So for ATC, I can come up to the SCM11- I'm worried they may prove difficult to drive though?
PMC DB1 Gold
Neat Motive SX3
Spendor A1

Plus there were those Focals mentioned a while back.

So for ATC, I can come up to the SCM11- I'm worried they may prove difficult to drive though?

curved SCM11's are a benign load and the Uniti Star can drive them perfectly well. We've used the Uniti Star with curved SCM11's on many occasions over the last three years without any issue.

Fwiw, until recently I was using a Uniti Nova (as mentioned in my signature) with curved SCM11's and again without any issue.

Reactions: nopiano

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
curved SCM11's are a benign load and the Uniti Star can drive them perfectly well. We've used the Uniti Star with curved SCM11's on many occasions over the last three years without any issue.

Fwiw, until recently I was using a Uniti Nova (as mentioned in my signature) with curved SCM11's and again without any issue.

Many thanks.
I am sure it was said ATCs could be difficult. But I possibly got the wrong end of the stick. Admittedly I haven't looked deeply at the specs.

I suspect, if I do rearrange my living room, that it will be floor standers or speakers on stands. Out of those, I prefer floor standers, and in this regard, I can't see past the RX3.
Anyone any comments regarding RX3s and SCM11s?

Don't worry though, I shall be heeding Mr Gandys advice:
Don't read magazines. Don't look at reviews. Just go and listen!!

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Indeed it is. It's always been 10%, but no doubt they'll blame it on COVID. Only £153 off then!

Not sure how it works either.
Signed up, but nothing. No email yet.

I don't seem to be able to purchase any of the clearance items either. I assume you have to get in touch with the applicable store.

jjbomber

Not sure how it works either.
Signed up, but nothing. No email yet.

I don't seem to be able to purchase any of the clearance items either. I assume you have to get in touch with the applicable store.
Exactly that, though you can still order from your local store if it's open to save postage. If not, phone the store and explain that you are a e-club VIP. They will then take the extra 5% off.

Last edited:
Many thanks.
I am sure it was said ATCs could be difficult. But I possibly got the wrong end of the stick. Admittedly I haven't looked deeply at the specs.

You're welcome (y)

Btw, we've also used a budget NAD C325BEE @ £270 and rated @ 50w/ch on many occasions over the last fourteen years with all of ATC's MK1 Entry Series and now the MK2 Entry Series of passive monitors without issue to the NAD or the ATC's. The bottom line is that if the NAD can get along with the ATC's then other higher quality of amplification should also get along with the ATC's.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
You're welcome (y)

Btw, we've also used a budget NAD C325BEE @ £270 and rated @ 50w/ch on many occasions over the last fourteen years with all of ATC's MK1 Entry Series and now the MK2 Entry Series of passive monitors without issue to the NAD or the ATC's. The bottom line is that if the NAD can get along with the ATC's then other higher quality of amplification should also get along with the ATC's.

Sounds good to me!!

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Exactly that, though you can still order from your local store if it's open to save postage. If not, phone the store and explain that you are a e-club VIP. They will then take the extra 5% off.

Gotcha.
From what I remember, Brighton was my local, but isn't local!!
About a 2hr drive. Which isn't a problem in itself. But can't happen until the country is released from its shackles!

Besides, they also have a Rega RX3 and RX5 on clearance!!

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
It is never good to start over thinking, or exploring too much!!!

Assuming my rearranging can make space for my turntable, I've given myself something very different that I want to try out. Doh!

The Rega Saturn R and Elicit R.

The DAC on the Saturn seems to be able to take my FLAC recordings via its USB, and I should be able to connect the TV to the optical inputs.
Not as handy as Naims HDMI ARC, but it will do me.
The only thing I am missing is internet radio. Hey ho, I stopped listening to radio in the house years ago, so I will probably survive!

Overall cost should be about the same, or for an upgrade, I go with the Aethos. That means a separate Fono stage required as well though.

So a battle of the S's.
Salisbury or Southend!
What's it to be.

That is the question.....

So, currently have the following..
Marantz CD6005
Rotel 10
Dali Zensor 1s.
I also have a Rega Planar 1 which gets plugged in from time to time, but no space to permanently plug in.
So I need to free up a shelf under the TV to put the Rega.

So, an option is the Uniti Star, with a Rega Fono on the same shelf (either Fono mini, or the more expensive Fono MM if it fits). I need to check dimensions first.

But, for such an expense, there needs to be an appreciable improvement.
The streaming capability on the Star will more than likely go unused.
It's benefits to me over the current system is:
Bluetooth
DAB radio
Ability to play FLAC files from USB. I don't have many, but at present my Marantz can't accept FLAC.
Easy connection to the TV through HDMI- allows the TV to hopefully sound better.

Still, I need an improvement in CD player and amp to make the outlay easier to swallow. Will I see this from the Star? In this forums opinion (I know I need to test it first, but this forum is in the enviable position of deciding whether I even bother going to test it!!)

Next is speakers.
Assuming I have the Star, you have a few options.
Keep the Zensor 1s
Rega RX 1s
Neat Iota
Neat Motive SX3
Neat Ministra (think these might be going a little too expensive though).
ATC SCM7
ATC SCM11 (again, might be pushing it price wise).

The speakers will be sitting on a shelf, and not stand mounted. So they need to be capable of this (I will check make sure they fit on the shelf when I get home, as I know some have a largish footprint.
They will sit about 10 to 15cm from a wall behind.
The room size? Good question. About 4.5x 5.5m. Ish. Give or take!!!

What is the clever folks opinions?

Bit late to this particular party.

This is where I stand with Naim stuff: They can sound great with the correct speakers, or underwhelming with the wrong monitors. Why are you limiting yourself to Naim?

If you want an all singing all dancing amp, why not Leema Quasar? It's around the same price as the Naim Star and it's less fussy than a Naim, if it mirrors my Pulse; lovely organic, agile and taut presentation.

Only a suggestion but it's worth short listing. If you don't like it sling it back to the dealer.

Clickety

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

This is where I stand with Naim stuff: They can sound great with the correct speakers, or underwhelming with the wrong monitors. Why are you limiting yourself to Naim?

If you want an all singing all dancing amp, why not Leema Quasar? It's around the same price as the Naim Star and it's less fussy than a Naim, if it mirrors my Pulse; lovely organic, agile and taut presentation.

Only a suggestion but it's worth short listing. If you don't like it sling it back to the dealer.

Clickety

The whole point of the Uniti Star to start with, was it saved me a shelf (it does everything). Therefore allowing me to keep my RP1 permanently plugged in. It basically does every I needed, plus had some extra benefits thrown in for good measure.
The Leema doesn't do everything I need- No CD player.
It also doesn't have the range of extra benefits- Radio, and HDMI ARC.
It also has a downside- USB on the rear, not the front.
It's only plus is the increased power.

So I don't need an all singing all dancing amp as such. I needed a combined amp and CD player, which had some extra benefits. Let's call it a friend with benefits!!!!
This was the thing with the Star. It seems like the best all rounder. All it is missing is a Fono stage. But Rega do cheap small ones.
The Leema isn't a friend (no CD player), and only offers tlaverage benefits!!! Which would you choose?!!!!

Since then, I've decided that with a bit of messing around with my shelves, I may not need an all in one. I may be able to make space for the RP1 (That isn't confirmed yet though).
In that case, if I did do anything, i could broaden my horizon, and the whole point would be more about an upgrade, but with certain requirements- Needs to accept FLAC recordings from USB.
Hence why I have now suddenly mentioned the Saturn R and Elicit R. This doesn't have the range of benefits of the Naim, but I can work around that (Ie tv via conventional optical inputs, and forgoing the radio). It does arguably have a better CD player and amp though. Plus a combined Fono stage. The price is also similar to the Naim.
So I have a really good friend, with average benefits (A wife???!!!)

Now if the aim of the exercise became more about an upgrade, then yes, the Leema could be an option. But- You've already virtually reached The price of the Uniti Star, and that's without a CD player. By the time I add a decent CD player, I have what? An expensive wife?!!!

If I was to keep my current CD player, I may as well keep my full system as is, and do nothing.
I will look at other Leema options though.
Ie CD player and amp seperates.
Will see what they offer.

However, for the time being, until I can be sure otherwise, the priority is the combined CD player/ amp to save me some space.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

Clickety

So having searched through the Leema offerings in a bit more detail.
As an all in one, one stop shop offering, they don't have anything that I can see. The Uniti Star still seems like the one to beat.

If however, as previously mentioned, I can get away without the 'one stop shop', then as far as an Amp goes, the Pulse would probably be the best bet.
Analogue and digital inputs. Phono stage. Bluetooth. USB, which I think can take FLAC recordings.
Tv can be hooked up to the digital inputs hopefully.

CD player would probably have to be the Elements player.
But..... The price comes to over £3800.
£500 More than the Rega pairing mentioned.
Yes it has the benefit of Bluetooth, but the Rega packs 105 watts into 8 ohms. Compared to 80 watts on the Pulse.

Changing Amp to the Quasar, yes adds the benefit of streaming (Which I may never end up using), and adds plenty of punch. But it also adds plenty of pounds sterling as well!! Oh, and I've lost the Phono stage.

They are certainly possibilities if sticking with seperates is an option. However I'm preferring the less expensive wife called Rega in this case!!
Rega gets some storming reviews for her CD player as well!

As an all in one, one stop shop offering, they don't have anything that I can see. The Uniti Star still seems like the one to beat.

If however, as previously mentioned, I can get away without the 'one stop shop', then as far as an Amp goes, the Pulse would probably be the best bet.
Analogue and digital inputs. Phono stage. Bluetooth. USB, which I think can take FLAC recordings.

Yes it has the benefit of Bluetooth, but the Rega packs 105 watts into 8 ohms. Compared to 80 watts on the Pulse.

Changing Amp to the Quasar, yes adds the benefit of streaming (Which I may never end up using), and adds plenty of punch. But it also adds plenty of pounds sterling as well!! Oh, and I've lost the Phono stage.

They are certainly possibilities if sticking with seperates is an option. However I'm preferring the less expensive wife called Rega in this case!!

Totally understand where you're coming from. But if you're going, now, the separate route this will kick the Rega Elicit-R into touch. IMHO it is in the same ballpark as a Accuphase or a Luxman. It's staggering piece of kit and for around the price of a brand new Rega Elex-R. Like the Pulse it's flexible with speakers: I've tried mine with PMC, Spendor, Wharfedale, Harbeth, Focal, Monitor Audio...

Clickety

Last edited:

rainsoothe

Forget about counting watts, that Rega 106 vs the Leema 80 only means that the Rega will (or should) go something like 0.76ish decibels louder at full volume. That's it. But no matter what you do, try to audition before committing.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Forget about counting watts, that Rega 106 vs the Leema 80 only means that the Rega will (or should) go something like 0.76ish decibels louder at full volume. That's it. But no matter what you do, try to audition before committing.

I will always be auditioning before buying.
As for loudness. That isn't my aim. But the increased wattage may mean it controls speakers a little better.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Totally understand where you're coming from. But if you're going, now, the separate route this will kick the Rega Elicit-R into touch. IMHO it is in the same ballpark as a Accuphase or a Luxman. It's staggering piece of kit and for around the price of a brand new Rega Elex-R. Like the Pulse it's flexible with speakers: I've tried mine with PMC, Spendor, Wharfedale, Harbeth, Focal, Monitor Audio...

Clickety

I applaud your perseverance, and as a Leema Salesman I'm sure the owners are very happy with your performance!!!
Unfortunately as I have gotten older, I have learnt to question everything.
So, let's see how good a salesman you really are!
1- How does it kick the Rega into touch, and how is it staggering? Are you saying it is a straight wire with gain control? Ie it does not import it's own signature onto the sound the artist was trying to convey? Has it been tested to confirm this?
If not, then how is it staggering? Does your claim take into account different people's hearing?

2- If we are looking 2nd hand, it is only fair to compare against 2nd hand Rega gear. Now what is the price difference?
I'm sure we both know what these things cost brand new, hence your politicians link, and comparing apples with pears!

3- When comparing prices, have you factored in the fact I now need to purchase a Phono stage, and a DAC (for USB)? My, you've made a Trump speech look truthful ;) .

4- Assuming I can go seperates now. Well, you've just blown that right out the water with the need for a Phono stage and DAC!!
Or were you intending me to use one of Rega's combined CD/ DAC with the Leema amp? Which company is giving you the highest commission?!!

5- As you are trying to sell this 2nd hand amp. Can you confirm it hasn't been used and abused?

Any comments Mr Salesman?

Don't take any of that the wrong way. It was just a bit of banter! I hope I haven't wrecked your chances of becoming a Leema Salesman lol.

If I was willing to spend loads more money, and I had plenty of space, then a Tucana Mk2 I'm sure would be a very serious contender.
In my situation though, the Pulse would seem the best bet out of the Leema range.
If only the price for the amp and CD player was more in line with what I want to pay.
Even the Uniti Star grates a bit!

I do really like the look of the Leema stuff though. The units have an interesting aesthetic. Like the Rega stuff, but in a very different way.

I applaud your perseverance, and as a Leema Salesman I'm sure the owners are very happy with your performance!!!
Unfortunately as I have gotten older, I have learnt to question everything.
So, let's see how good a salesman you really are!
1- How does it kick the Rega into touch, and how is it staggering? Are you saying it is a straight wire with gain control? Ie it does not import it's own signature onto the sound the artist was trying to convey? Has it been tested to confirm this?
If not, then how is it staggering? Does your claim take into account different people's hearing?

2- If we are looking 2nd hand, it is only fair to compare against 2nd hand Rega gear. Now what is the price difference?
I'm sure we both know what these things cost brand new, hence your politicians link, and comparing apples with pears!

3- When comparing prices, have you factored in the fact I now need to purchase a Phono stage, and a DAC (for USB)? My, you've made a Trump speech look truthful ;) .

4- Assuming I can go seperates now. Well, you've just blown that right out the water with the need for a Phono stage and DAC!!
Or were you intending me to use one of Rega's combined CD/ DAC with the Leema amp? Which company is giving you the highest commission?!!

5- As you are trying to sell this 2nd hand amp. Can you confirm it hasn't been used and abused?

Any comments Mr Salesman?

Don't take any of that the wrong way. It was just a bit of banter! I hope I haven't wrecked your chances of becoming a Leema Salesman lol.

If I was willing to spend loads more money, and I had plenty of space, then a Tucana Mk2 I'm sure would be a very serious contender.
In my situation though, the Pulse would seem the best bet out of the Leema range.
If only the price for the amp and CD player was more in line with what I want to pay.
Even the Uniti Star grates a bit!

I do really like the look of the Leema stuff though. The units have an interesting aesthetic. Like the Rega stuff, but in a very different way.
Yup, you are absolutely right, I've worked in sales. Selling Lithographic Print, engineering, office equipment/stationary and the past 10 years built up my own business from nothing until the pandemic hit (never in the hi-fi industry)... it's now on hold until it's safe for the family to reignite the business.

The other day you said I've never recommended a Leema before, so I'm trying to fill that void with you.

Having owned the Pulse MK1 for 11 years and the Tucana MK2 for 18 months I've had plenty of time to hear different speakers, sources and amps, including Rega's midrange amps (Elex-R and Elicit-E). Original retail price of 4k, I wouldn't expect those Regas to be anywhere near as good as the Tucana, as the demos proved.

In some respects, Rega and Leema share similar traits: Both are have very taut bass, both very musical, flexible when it comes to partnering and non-fatiguing.

When it comes to digital sources, I've owned Arcam CDP, Electrocompaniet, Naim CD 5i and now Exposure. I've demoed others such as Rega (original Apollo) but didn't plump for the Rega purely because my rack is stacking and Rega CDPs are top openers.

At £1700 for the Elicit-R it's worth the money., no question. The Tucana, which you'd probably get for about £1100 if you put in a cheeky offer, is a no-brainer, even allowing £200 for a phono stage. You can get s/hand Regas of the above models but they are few and far between.

When I first purchased the Pulse 3-4 people on here purchased the Pulse on my recommendation. They either kept the Pulse or upgraded to a Tucana.

My biggest hi-fi regret was selling the Tucana, but it wasn't for hi-fi reasons.

For another amp with the same all-round ability as the Tucana you are looking at Luxman, Accuphase, Sugden Masterclass.... and they aren't available for £1300.

Hope that's answered some of your questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Yup, you are absolutely right, I've worked in sales. Selling Lithographic Print, engineering, office equipment/stationary and the past 10 years built up my own business from nothing until the pandemic hit (never in the hi-fi industry)... it's now on hold until it's safe for the family to reignite the business.

The other day you said I've never recommended a Leema before, so I'm trying to fill that void with you.

Having owned the Pulse MK1 for 11 years and the Tucana MK2 for 18 months I've had plenty of time to hear different speakers, sources and amps, including Rega's midrange amps (Elex-R and Elicit-E). Original retail price of 4k, I wouldn't expect those Regas to be anywhere near as good as the Tucana, as the demos proved.

In some respects, Rega and Leema share similar traits: Both are have very taut bass, both very musical, flexible when it comes to partnering and non-fatiguing.

When it comes to digital sources, I've owned Arcam CDP, Electrocompaniet, Naim CD 5i and now Exposure. I've demoed others such as Rega (original Apollo) but didn't plump for the Rega purely because my rack is stacking and Rega CDPs are top openers.

At £1700 for the Elicit-R it's worth the money., no question. The Tucana, which you'd probably get for about £1100 if you put in a cheeky offer, is a no-brainer, even allowing £200 for a phono stage. You can get s/hand Regas of the above models but they are few and far between.

When I first purchased the Pulse 3-4 people on here purchased the Pulse on my recommendation. They either kept the Pulse or upgraded to a Tucana.

My biggest hi-fi regret was selling the Tucana, but it wasn't for hi-fi reasons.

For another amp with the same all-round ability as the Tucana you are looking at Luxman, Accuphase, Sugden Masterclass.... and they aren't available for £1300.

Hope that's answered some of your questions.

Some, sort of!! But I question if you are trying to sell a Leema or a Rega?!

You've now lowered the price of the Tucana even more, just to fit in a £200 Phono stage (Did you work for Bojo?)
That's without confirming the unit hasn't been used and abused for years.
Now what about the DAC? Are you lowering the price of the Tucana again, just to squeeze in a DAC?!!!
This says to me the unit is not worth £1300, and they are desperate to sell (broken!!)

Now size? How do I fit in a seperates Phono stage and DAC?
Because right now, with your insistence on a Tucana (Which wouldn't fit because of the extras), you have actually pushed me back to Naim or Rega!

Now to what it sounds like. You have just said the Rega has a similar sound, and with the Rega more in my budget!!! You get the picture.
Plus you admitted the Rega is worth the money, whereas you make it sound like your 2nd hand Tucana is broken!
How long were you a salesman for? Because Leema aren't too happy with you right now!

What did I say, the hard sell rarely works on me now!

Now being slightly more serious:

I wouldn't trust 2nd hand for such items. Brand new with warranty only.

But I shall do you a deal. Supply me with guaranteed winning lottery numbers, and I will purchase the Tucana Mk2! Can't ask fairer than that!

rainsoothe

Some, sort of!! But I question if you are trying to sell a Leema or a Rega?!

You've now lowered the price of the Tucana even more, just to fit in a £200 Phono stage (Did you work for Bojo?)
That's without confirming the unit hasn't been used and abused for years.
Now what about the DAC? Are you lowering the price of the Tucana again, just to squeeze in a DAC?!!!
This says to me the unit is not worth £1300, and they are desperate to sell (broken!!)

Now size? How do I fit in a seperates Phono stage and DAC?
Because right now, with your insistence on a Tucana (Which wouldn't fit because of the extras), you have actually pushed me back to Naim or Rega!

Now to what it sounds like. You have just said the Rega has a similar sound, and with the Rega more in my budget!!! You get the picture.
Plus you admitted the Rega is worth the money, whereas you make it sound like your 2nd hand Tucana is broken!
How long were you a salesman for? Because Leema aren't too happy with you right now!

What did I say, the hard sell rarely works on me now!

Now being slightly more serious:

I wouldn't trust 2nd hand for such items. Brand new with warranty only.

But I shall do you a deal. Supply me with guaranteed winning lottery numbers, and I will purchase the Tucana Mk2! Can't ask fairer than that!
WT actual F?

TRENDING THREADS