Uniti Star, or not Uniti Star!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
You will find that many products are built in China to a manufacture’s spec, design and QC, often ones you thought were of British, U.S. or other origin.
Our Volvo car is built in China and trimmed in Norway, for example.
Regarding Acoustic Energy, when we lived in rural Gloucestershire a few years ago, I drove past their head office every day. But most of their speakers are assembled overseas.
If you want British designed and built it narrows the field dramatically, but the likes of ATC and Harbeth are built in England even if a few components might be from overseas.

Oh I know it narrows the field a lot. But that is part of the fun. I check up on these things beforehand.
Although admittedly there are more than I realised. I'd forgotten ATC and Spendor were in this country. So it isn't too difficult.
It is more expensive than it is difficult. But considering I already have speakers, then there is no point in buying more unless they are better (which usually means more expensive).

It isn't just British made though. It is more a company that remembers where it is from. So a chinese company making their products in china would comply (still wouldn't buy it though as I wouldn't trust it!!!!)
So Focals built in France (half and half I think), DALIs made in Denmark (it has been 5yrs before I realised my cheapo Zensors are probably chinese made!!)
Amphions made in Finland.

My parents wondered what had gone wrong with me when I chose Veissmann for my new boiler. But the boiler is made in the right place. Plus reports suggest they are better than anything we would find from the UK.
My Stressless. Made in the right place.

Your Volvo is interesting. I know they are owned by the chinese now, but thought they were still built in Sweden. Going to have to look up on that one. I have a friend who has just purchased one, and I jokingly said he was buying a chinese car. Perhaps I was closer to the truth.

What is more annoying though, is these companies that get chinese 3rd parties to do the work. I argue that these have very little to do with the brand who stick their name all over it. So when I am being picky, they are the first lot off my list.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Leema. Actually you could have a streamer, amp and speakers from the UK.

Not heard of Leema.
It actually isn't that difficult to find everything you could want though.
Excluding speakers, I can think of the following firms doing HiFi electronics:
Rega
Meridian
Naim (apart from the Muso)
Linn
Cyrus (one or two of their lower priced items made elsewhere).

With Rega, you go quite low down in the price spectrum as well. It isn't just high end, high prices.

In fact, when I first started looking into Hifi gear 5 Plus Years ago, it was a breath of fresh air. I suddenly realised it wasn't dominated by the Japanese, and actually, the UK isn't quite as stupid as some people would have you believe. Not only is a large percentage of the best stuff designed and engineered in the UK, but we can actually make it as well if we want.

Mentioning this to my car loving, Volvo owning friend, it sparked the question-
What model do you have?
His Volvo is made in Sweden.
Here it is from the horse’s mouth...

We had a V90 for over two years and now have a V60. I’m not fickle, but I lease these days! I think the V60 is Belgian. They all have Swedish flags sewn into the seats.

What is more annoying though, is these companies that get chinese 3rd parties to do the work. I argue that these have very little to do with the brand who stick their name all over it. So when I am being picky, they are the first lot off my list.
I had an interesting chat with one of Primare’s senior folk. Most of their assembly is in PRC. Every item comes to Sweden after build and is checked by their Chief Engineer before shipping. Understandably, perhaps, they stress that the working relationship is very close, and QC strong, down to the number of twists of a particular internal wire.

To be fair to them, and also AE who we mentioned above, there is no way these are badge-engineered 3rd party products. All the design and development is done at home, and only manufacture is carried out overseas.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Here it is from the horse’s mouth...

We had a V90 for over two years and now have a V60. I’m not fickle, but I lease these days! I think the V60 is Belgian. They all have Swedish flags sewn into the seats.

Ta for the info. My friend has a V90.
Made at a plant in Sweden. Torslanda.

As regards our Hifi manufacturers. I say they are half and half. They design the gear yes. They check it, yes. But a 3rd party makes it and sticks the respective badge on.
On the line next door, they will be making the cheapest CD players known to man, and sticking some unheard of chinese name on it.

Unless they have exclusivity with their 3rd party, but I doubt it.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Well maybe mine wasn’t Chinese after all?!

More investigating to be done me thinks!
Either way, Volvos aren't for me.

Back onto Uniti Stars and speakers, I think I have the following speaker shortlist:

Rega RX1
Rega RX3
Neat Motive SX3
ATC SCM7
Spendor A1

Outsiders, which depend on just how good they really are, and whether any ex demos etc can be found:
Harbeth P3ESR (Harbeth speakers do look quite special)

I haven't yet checked the Focals.
Kudos are seemingly there to bankrupt me!!!
Amphion don't seem to be very easy to get hold of.

Any comments on the above?

D

Deleted member 108165

Do you still have the same positioning requirements, e.g., close proximity to a wall/on a self? RX1 and SX3 are both rear ported so not ideal. Front ported would be better, sealed box better still.

Harbeth have marmite looks with exposed screw heads, personally I find them very appealing, but £2.5K is not so appealing; grilles are meant to stay on. PMC could also work, I've previously owned DB1's, apparently the TB2's are a step-up; not sure about the newer models as I've not heard any.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Do you still have the same positioning requirements, e.g., close proximity to a wall/on a self? RX1 and SX3 are both rear ported so not ideal. Front ported would be better, sealed box better still.

Harbeth have marmite looks with exposed screw heads, personally I find them very appealing, but £2.5K is not so appealing; grilles are meant to stay on. PMC could also work, I've previously owned DB1's, apparently the TB2's are a step-up; not sure about the newer models as I've not heard any.
Yes, I've been thinking sealed box may work better.
But once I've rearranged my room, I shall see how far the speakers can sit from the wall. I expect I will be able to take them a bit further off.
How far is recommended for rear ported speakers? Bare in mind my Zensor 1s are I believe rear ported? They sit ok nearish to the wall.

The Harbeths have a solid look. Nice veneer look. Lovely grilles.
The only visible screws are at the back, where you will hardly be looking. Front ones covered by the grille. I don't intend on taking the grille off. Why would you, such a nice looking thing on the Harbeths.

Cost is a lot, hence it would have to be ex demo or something like that.

D

Deleted member 108165

In the case of the Harbeth P3 speakers.
Anyone know what the difference is between:
ESR and ESR XD?

Ie what is the XD?
Wot Al said, plus there's about a grand difference in price between them. You would really need to hear them together to see if you thought the extra expense is worth it... some say it is, others say it's not.

Last edited by a moderator:

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Again, ta muchly.
The fact some say it isn't worth it, makes me think it may be difficult to tell the difference. We shall see.
The price difference between them is £550.
£1945 for the cheapo, £2495 for the XD.

D

Deleted member 108165

Again, ta muchly.
The fact some say it isn't worth it, makes me think it may be difficult to tell the difference. We shall see.
The price difference between them is £550.
£1945 for the cheapo, £2495 for the XD.
RRP difference is indeed £500 but there are some deals around where you can get the P3ESR for £1495, as long as you don't want a custom colour.

Reactions: Al ears

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
RRP difference is indeed £500 but there are some deals around where you can get the P3ESR for £1495, as long as you don't want a custom colour.

The £1495 I saw was a graded item. Ie not 100% perfect boxwork I gather.
Haven't seen any others at that price.
Always a nice option though.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

Looking at another thread from earlier last year, looks like we have both been looking at the same deal for these P3ESRs.
You purchased a pair?
In which case, can you explain what they mean by 'graded'? Certainly that's what it says next to them when I look.

D

Deleted member 108165

Looking at another thread from earlier last year, looks like we have both been looking at the same deal for these P3ESRs.
You purchased a pair?
In which case, can you explain what they mean by 'graded'? Certainly that's what it says next to them when I look.
Indeed I did purchase a pair from HiFi Corner via their eBay store, however, mine were not listed as "graded". As far as I can gather "graded" appears to cover many bases, from refurbished to a returned item.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Another 'out of the box' option:
Linn Majik 109 or 140.
The floorstanding 140 costs about the same as the 'seconds' P3ESR XD

Anyone any experience of Linn?
Even the Majik Network player- Cheaper than the Star. More Amp power. Doesn't have a CD part, but does have a Phono stage.
I could connect my Marantz CD player, and overall cheaper than the Uniti Star.

Anything I am missing? Can the Majik Network player accept FLAC recordings from USB?
It has HDMI for the TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts