Unison Research Unico or Primare i30 to drive AVI Neutron IV?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I currently us an Audiolab 8000A with AVI speakers (and an SW150 sub), but after 30 min, the sound is a little tiring, maybe even annoying. I was hoping to pair these speakers with a warmer amplifier and was advised to try one from Unison Research.

The UR Unico seems to be the most affordable. Has anyone tried it with these speakers?

How would it compare with the Primare I30? Is the Primare's sound also warm?

I listen to classical music, jazz and accoustic reccordings, although some pop and dance would also make it on several occasions.

Also, which one of these two amps would work best with Leema Xero speakers?

Many thanks

Alex

macipod

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have the lemma Xero speakers great by the way connected to an icon audio valve amp,and they work great together.

Hope this helps.....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You have short listed two very nice amps.

The UR should prove warmer and excel with voices and chamber music. A very natural, musical listen. Tube life may be a factor if buying 2nd hand.

The I30 should be more detailed and give a cleaner sound and probably more dynamic. Though not as warm as the UR, it could not be described as bright.
It has more power (100w vs 80w) and has no problem playing loud. IMO it sounds better than its Class D replacement.
The owners of this amp may be able to give more insight.

I have no idea how either amp would work with Leema.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
haven't heard the unico, but i don't think i would call the primare 'warm'. maybe see if you can find a moon i3rs? slightly warm, very natural sounding amp that i can't see ever being fatigueing. i think i sold mine for £900 on ebay about a year ago.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
The UR Unico is a superb amp with a warm yet detailed sound. The midrange is truly outstanding having a very natural and real presence. The sound never becomes tiring over long listening sessions. Highly recommended.

A

Anonymous

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> macipod, CnoEvil, Craig M., Sabby,

Many thanks for your responses. All these have been very useful, and although I am still searching, I wanted to let you know where I was now:

I managed to buy a Primare second hand and since I have received it, I have to say that the sound is absolutely AMAZING.

Music now just comes out of the AVIs. It is effortless. As you said, it is not warm, but it is very natural. The controled power is so pleasing, that I rediscovered some songs which I got tired from listening.

As my understanding is that the Moon is similar to the Primare, I am hoping to grab a good deal and buy the Unison Research Unico P in the coming weeks. I would also try the Leema Xero, to see whether the sound quality improves further.

By the way, there is a store in Liverpool which currently sells the Moon for around £990 new. Seems like a very accessible dream.

Will keep you posted.

Alex

G_alex2004 said:
Hi

I currently us an Audiolab 8000A with AVI speakers (and an SW150 sub), but after 30 min, the sound is a little tiring, maybe even annoying. I was hoping to pair these speakers with a warmer amplifier and was advised to try one from Unison Research.

The UR Unico seems to be the most affordable. Has anyone tried it with these speakers?

How would it compare with the Primare I30? Is the Primare's sound also warm?

I listen to classical music, jazz and accoustic reccordings, although some pop and dance would also make it on several occasions.

Also, which one of these two amps would work best with Leema Xero speakers?

Many thanks

Alex

The only positive thing I can add, having not heard either amps, is that Mr. John Duncan used to run his Primare A30 (I think) with AVIs and loved it.

The only Primare I've heard was the entry-level jobbie I21 with MAs and it sounded fine, with good detail and punchy bass. However, to my ear, it didn't hang together as I'd hoped, but the last paragraph has no relevence except the Primare sounded full-bodied.

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I will vouch for the Unison Research Unico, fantastic sounding Amp and stupidly good value, sold mine a few years ago and replaced it with a Pathos Logos , costly mistake, would not say it sounded better .

You can listen to it for hours with no fatigue or harshness, i did not realise just how good it was until i had sold it and sampled a few much more costlier amps.

If you can get a mint one second hand then you will be laughing.

All the best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts