Uneven sound level at lower volumes

bigman1976

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi, first post so be kind!

My long-serving Talk Electronics Storm 1 integrated amplifier has developed an issue surrounding the volume level at lower volumes. When playing all sources at lower volumes (reasonable listening volumes), the left channel is noticeably quieter than the right, with a distracting impact on soundstaging and enjoyment. As you increase the volume, you can hear the quieter channel "catching up" and at moderately high levels, the sound levels are identical.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or what I can do to solve the problem?

Many thanks.

bigman1976 said:
Hi, first post so be kind!

My long-serving Talk Electronics Storm 1 integrated amplifier has developed an issue surrounding the volume level at lower volumes. When playing all sources at lower volumes (reasonable listening volumes), the left channel is noticeably quieter than the right, with a distracting impact on soundstaging and enjoyment. As you increase the volume, you can hear the quieter channel "catching up" and at moderately high levels, the sound levels are identical.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or what I can do to solve the problem?

Many thanks.

This has been a problem with many budget amps over the years. Cambridge Audio had an issue issues with one channel at lower levels.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
With my old roksan k2
It also was only at lower volume but also annoyed me. Cheap componants. Obce you have a well engineered amp you will not have these issues.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I think some people only read a select few words of a post. The OP clearly stated this is a recent issue, not a long-standing problem caused by some kind of inherrent substandard design. Sounds to me like a fault.

bigman1976

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I think it is an issue with the volume control. I have contacted Talk Electronics and they have said that they'd sort it for me for £50 and replace the dodgy mute button at the same time. I'm happy with their reply, after all, it's done 15 years of good service without any maintenance. I don't feel that it was a poor quality item or cheap components.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts