Loudspeakers that sound great even at lower volumes

anshu

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I've read reviews which declare that a particular speaker sounds great when the volume is cranked up. Any speaker recommendations for speakers that dont need to be driven too loud to sound very refined and where the individual instruments can be picked out? I usually listen to Jazz and classical and am looking to spend about 1000-1500 for a pair of speakers and another 700-1000 quid for an amplifier. Is there a particular characteristic or a technical parameter (maybe speakers with higher sensitivity?) that require a speaker to be driven at higher (louder) volumes to showcase its abilities? Or maybe I should be asking what speakers that do well even when paired with low power tube amps? My room size is approximately 18 by 14.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
In my experience speakers with higher sensitivity tend to sound a bit more "alive" at lower volumes. Good example, JMR Bliss silver standmounts. Sensitivity of 89db. Excellent at low volume.

I would take reviews with a pinch of salt though. Just because a speaker is said to sound better at higher volumes doesn't mean it'll sound bad at low volumes. My current PMC twenty.21s do sound better at higher volumes true, but they also sound better than anything else I've had at lower volume too, with maybe the exception of the above mentioned JMRs.

jjbomber

anshu said:
I usually listen to Jazz and classical and am looking to spend about 1000-1500 for a pair of speakers and another 700-1000 quid for an amplifier. Is there a particular characteristic ....

Other way round and a Heed Obelisk amp with Kef LS50 speakers. Same overall budget.

Only one characteristic is important and that is how it sounds TO YOU. I have heard that system and it sounded perfect for what you want. However, it sounded perfect to me. I would definitely audition them, and see if they are right FOR YOU.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
There are speakers which will sound superb at low volumes, there are amps which will sound superb at low volumes. The trick is matching them up as one to give you the sound you want. What I mean is that a detailed amp at low volume can make a pair of 'poor' low-volume speakers shine, and vise-versa. I discovered the low-volume quality of valve amps through advice on this forum for which I'll be eternally grateful as to grasp any detail the volume had to go up, combined with 'party time' volume level induced cutout; the hybrid I bought solved both problems. I also discovered that numbers can be used but only as a guideline, they don't give the whole picture so listen to as much kit as you can. In the main you'll be bitterly disappointed, but one day you'll be amazed and that's the day to get your money out. Good luck!

I agree with Chris about the pmc twenty 21's being pretty decent at lower volume.I have read in the past that the transmission line helps ....but you'll need a very good amp to get anywhere near to what they're capable of....they do thrive on amps with a decent power supply.Think Abrahamsen,Leema,,Naim and other brands in that kind of class or above and that really goes for any speaker in the £1000-£1500 price range.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
@ Mark Rose Smith:

I can't imagine that 'party volume' goes together with attention/listening to details. So, i have a B&W Zeppelin for parties, and that can go even louder than my main (valve) system (more slam). Mostly i listen to medium sound levels, but sometimes by force of circumstance (housemates/neighbours) to low volumes. Excellent with valve-amp, and good speakers too of course! No wishes left at all for better sound then.

Although i agree with you about the combination of amp/speakers that gives details etc. at low volumes!

In detail there is no better amp than a good valve-amp! A hybrid is no match considering detail, spacious/fluent sound, voices etc..

Gray

ChrisIRL said:
In my experience speakers with higher sensitivity tend to sound a bit more "alive" at lower volumes. Good example, JMR Bliss silver standmounts. Sensitivity of 89db. Excellent at low volume.

I would take reviews with a pinch of salt though. Just because a speaker is said to sound better at higher volumes doesn't mean it'll sound bad at low volumes. My current PMC twenty.21s do sound better at higher volumes true, but they also sound better than anything else I've had at lower volume too, with maybe the exception of the above mentioned JMRs.

I've owned quite a few (always English brand) speakers and currently own PMC twenty 21s.

If you went by the WHF review, you'd probably avoid them if low level performance was important. But I must say that I agree entirely with the above comments on the 21s.

gasolin

Dynaudio emit m10/20

Don't forget that high sensitive speakers might tricker the channel unbalance that many amps have at low setting/volume, low sensitivity speakers you might go past the setting of the volume where there isn't any channel unbalance, when the volume is loud/low enough

From the review of the Emit 10's (last comment in the review)

If you want volume, you’ve got that too. You don’t need it, however – the sense of energy is always there, even at lower volumes.

http://www.whathifi.com/dynaudio/emit-m10/review?oq=emit%20m10&src="textfield&aq=emit%20m10&type=review&pos=top"

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Rethep said:
A hybrid is no match considering detail, spacious/fluent sound, voices etc..

I want it all... detail etc etc, but when it's party time I want power. Hybrid gives you exactly that; OK I'm 'limited' to 10W+10W A class pure valve. After that its up to 250W+250W but still using valve pre-amp. I could simply say valve is no match for power, and that's the way the two sciences work; but I love both and I want both. Up to 10+10W I don't see why a hybrid is no match. Considering I'm running pretty big transmission lines, I wouldn't expect valves to burn my ears off without spending a helluva lot of money. 2X45W valve is very desirable, but it ain't gonna float my boat even if you theoretically double it to 90/90. Sometimes I want it loud. Under £1800 for my Vincent? No-brainer.

Rethep said:
@ Mark Rose Smith:

I can't imagine that 'party volume' goes together with attention/listening to details. So, i have a B&W Zeppelin for parties, and that can go even louder than my main (valve) system (more slam). Mostly i listen to medium sound levels, but sometimes by force of circumstance (housemates/neighbours) to low volumes. Excellent with valve-amp, and good speakers too of course! No wishes left at all for better sound then.

Although i agree with you about the combination of amp/speakers that gives details etc. at low volumes!

In detail there is no better amp than a good valve-amp! A hybrid is no match considering detail, spacious/fluent sound, voices etc..

I take it you've never heard any Tom Evans Audio Design kit then. ;-)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind buying used equipment then these PMC TB2S A11 powered speakers will do exactly what you want.

These are a bargain !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PMC-TB2S-AII-active-Speakers-mastering-grade-/122167607226?hash=item1c71c1bfba:g:pxEAAOSwpLNX9UAe

http://pmc-speakers.com/products/archive/archive/tb2s-aii

You will need to add a pre amp to control the volume and add inputs and you will have plenty of money left over for one of these, or alternatively a good quality passive preamp.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/abrahamsen-v30-pre-amplifier?gclid=CJfq-7nu9MgCFSoEwwodtMEDOQ

They are on special offer for £599 at the moment *smile*

Another alternative would be a pair of used PMC TB2i and add an Abrahamsen V2.0 UP integrated amp or a similar top quality amplifier.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/abrahamsen-v20up-intergrated-amplifier?gclid=CJfq-7nu9MgCFSoEwwodtMEDOQ

http://pmc-speakers.com/products/archive/archive/tb2i

The TB2's in any form are superb at low volume and when the wick is turned up the sound remains the same but just louder, they are very efficient and easy to drive.

An explanation video .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=683FoCDilOE

Electro said:
If you don't mind buying used equipment then these PMC TB2S A11 powered speakers will do exactly what you want.

These are a bargain !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PMC-TB2S-AII-active-Speakers-mastering-grade-/122167607226?hash=item1c71c1bfba:g:pxEAAOSwpLNX9UAe

http://pmc-speakers.com/products/archive/archive/tb2s-aii

You will need to add a pre amp to control the volume and add inputs and you will have plenty of money left over for one of these, or alternatively a good quality passive preamp.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/abrahamsen-v30-pre-amplifier?gclid=CJfq-7nu9MgCFSoEwwodtMEDOQ

They are on special offer for £599 at the moment *smile*

Another alternative would be a pair of used PMC TB2i and add an Abrahamsen V2.0 UP integrated amp or a similar top quality amplifier.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/abrahamsen-v20up-intergrated-amplifier?gclid=CJfq-7nu9MgCFSoEwwodtMEDOQ

http://pmc-speakers.com/products/archive/archive/tb2i

The TB2's in any form are superb at low volume and when the wick is turned up the sound remains the same but just louder, they are very efficient and easy to drive.

An explanation video .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=683FoCDilOE

Those actives are a bargain if you happen to live in Portugal. ;-)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I empathise with the OP.

I too, most of the time, listen to what most probably would deem very low volume. It enables me to relax and get 'into' the music rather than being pummeled by it.

As always, the problem is that at those low levels, the ear is less sensitive to the frequency extremes hence the old loudness feature of amplifiers old. This is made worse by the natural decline of high frequency hearing in older age.

One way of counter acting this is to choose a speaker with a somewhat V shaped response and a dynamic sounding amplifier.

The other is to choose a headphone system and for the OP's budget, he'd get something very serious which is probably impossible to emulate with a conventional set up.

drummerman said:
I empathise with the OP.

I too, most of the time, listen to what most probably would deem very low volume. It enables me to relax and get 'into' the music rather than being pummeled by it.

As always, the problem is that at those low levels, the ear is less sensitive to the frequency extremes hence the old loudness feature of amplifiers old. This is made worse by the natural decline of high frequency hearing in older age.

One way of counter acting this is to choose a speaker with a somewhat V shaped response and a dynamic sounding amplifier.

The other is to choose a headphone system and for the OP's budget, he'd get something very serious which is probably impossible to emulate with a conventional set up.

Brave man. I was going to bring up headphones but thought better of it. It is, indeed, the best way to get around frequency response and low noise levels that I know of. Keep the speakers for when higher volume levels are acceptable.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
To some extent, how well a speaker/system will sound at low volumes will depend on the level of background noise in the room. If the background noise is too high, you'll be turning the system up to drown that out. This level is surprising sometimes.

I agree that generally, higher sensitivity speakers will sound more lively at lower volumes, but then you have to take into acocunt they may sound a little strident at higher volumes. The end result will also rely on the performance of the amplifier too.

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I did a similar search for speakers that sound good at low volumes, and found various opinions, such as http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=44939&start=15: "Not knowing your other requirements, I offer the following brand/models as sounding good to me at lower volume: Reference 3a speakers (all models); Trenner & Friedl Art and Dizzy model; DeVore speakers; Totem speakers; Harbeth speakers, Spendor classic line speakers; Quad (electrostatic and dynamic speakers); and Synthesis Debut model."

See furthermore http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/speakers-that-hit-the-sweet-spot-at-low-volume-levels.485627/.

Also Amphion have been reported to sound good (i.e. detailed, not muffled but only quieter) at low levels; I personally do agree, owning the cheapest model, Amphion Ions, which should be in the price range you stated.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
For your room size save your self some money and get a Q acoustics 3050 speakers. The 3050's sound brilliant at even very low volume. These speakers placed in the right room & space are a real bargain. Actually playing at low volume level is one of the strongest play point of the 3050's. At the same time detailed & non fatiguing.

I Got a pair in a second room with a Quad Vena and it lays out all the detail with Jazz music, which I just happen to listen to at night time. Also the 3050's are very easy to drive & very musical.

anshu

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Wow, this was my first post here and this community has truly risen to the task! Thank you for all those responses!
My room size is about 18 by 14 and I should be able to place the speakers about 20-30 cm in. I have mostly CDs, a few LPs played off a Project Carbon Debut and some occasional streaming as well. I mostly play jazz, some classical, some Indian classical but also the occasional Dire Straits, Dylan, Clapton, Fairport Convention, Springsteen etc.
I do have a pair of Sennheiser HD600 as my go-to headphones for most of my personal listening. The reason I’m looking for speakers is that I plan to do most of my listening at lower or moderate levels. I like the warmth that tube amps (or even some hybrids?!) give off so am looking to pair speakers with such amps. I was planning to audition the LS50s but read somewhere that they sound a bit clinical and are very forward sounding which might make them fatiguing for longer sessions. The Harbeths and Quads seem to be quite popular for what I'm considering so will try and audition those as well. Of course, I guess pairing up a matching amp would be most important as well.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
How do the 3050s compare to your IPL speakers? - generally that is - not just at low listening levels.

cheers tonky

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
tonky said:
How do the 3050s compare to your IPL speakers? - generally that is - not just at low listening levels.

cheers tonky
The IPL's are much better speakers, but much difficult to drive than the 3050's. The IPL's needs real top notch amplification. I have listened to a lot of speakers before settling for the IPL acoustics, believe the IPL's can out perform speakers costing up to 3 to 4k.. Yes the 3050's are very good but not in the level performance of the IPL's. Even now my main system sounds real good, but it's crying out for an Arcam 850 which I hope to add on very soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts