Uncompressed PCM STEREO HDMI ARC audio

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
I have a Sony BDV-E4100 hometheater with HDMI ARC audio. However I have a small collection of 4K Ultra HD Blu Rays. So, everytime I watch a movie in the 4K player (Panasonic UB320) , it decodes de audio internaly to Stereo PCM (HDMI audio out). Then my hometheater receives the audio and uses DTS NEO 6 or Dolby Pro Logic to recreate surround. My question, is there a loss of quality in this process? I notice some movie's volume were a little bit low, but in other movies was the same. I did some research, but I don't understand what audio bandwith is.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Make sure the audio output from your UB320 is set to a surround format e.g. bitstream/Dolby Digital/ DTS. That‘s probably your problem.

Check the audio setup of your 4k player thoroughly.
My receiver doesn't support HDMI eARC, so it would only be DTS and Dolby Core. I'm trying to get the best quality possible.

manicm

My receiver doesn't support HDMI eARC, so it would only be DTS and Dolby Core. I'm trying to get the best quality possible.

Your receiver doesn’t need to support eARC - unless you want to watch Dolby Atmos content. It just needs normal HDMI ARC support.

Again check the audio output settings on your 4K player.

Also give me your TV details.

Last edited:

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a Sony BDV-E4100 hometheater with HDMI ARC audio. However I have a small collection of 4K Ultra HD Blu Rays. So, everytime I watch a movie in the 4K player (Panasonic UB320) , it decodes de audio internaly to Stereo PCM (HDMI audio out). Then my hometheater receives the audio and uses DTS NEO 6 or Dolby Pro Logic to recreate surround. My question, is there a loss of quality in this process? I notice some movie's volume were a little bit low, but in other movies was the same. I did some research, but I don't understand what audio bandwith is.

Hello sir :)

I would suspect that the Sony bdv does not natively support the audio format on the 4k disc. If iam permitted to delve a little deeper. A 11.1 channel system is 12 channels of linear pcm. However due to band width restrictions. Same is encoded into different formats like dolby or dts. So that the 4k disc has enough space for ultra high resolution video as well as 12 channels of audio.

So if the 4k player detects that the Sony bdv does not have the required audio codes to decode the dolby or dts audio stream. Then the 4k player will decode the audio format, and will stream down stream as linear pcm to the sony bdv as you are receiving now.

But there should be no drop in audio quality or volume, unless you are using the volume control on the 4k player. As it will start chopping off bits to reduce the volume, so please put your 4k at full volume. And then adjust the volume as required on the sony bdv.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Your receiver doesn’t need to support eARC - unless you want to watch Dolby Atmos content. It just needs normal HDMI ARC support.

Sony X806E 2017. It only supports HDMI ARC, and not HDMI eARC.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Hello sir :)

I would suspect that the Sony bdv does not natively support the audio format on the 4k disc. If iam permitted to delve a little deeper. A 11.1 channel system is 12 channels of linear pcm. However due to band width restrictions. Same is encoded into different formats like dolby or dts. So that the 4k disc has enough space for ultra high resolution video as well as 12 channels of audio.

So if the 4k player detects that the Sony bdv does not have the required audio codes to decode the dolby or dts audio stream. Then the 4k player will decode the audio format, and will stream down stream as linear pcm to the sony bdv as you are receiving now.

But there should be no drop in audio quality or volume, unless you are using the volume control on the 4k player. As it will start chopping off bits to reduce the volume, so please put your 4k at full volume. And then adjust the volume as required on the sony bdv.
I could choose either PCM Stereo or Bitstream. My questions is which one would provide a better experience with my hometheater BDV-E4100.

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site

So according to you, HDMI ARC can handle DTS HD Master audio and Dolby True HD? I don't want DTS X or Dolby Atmos.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts