Unbalance vs Balanced

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Revolutions

From an audibility standpoint, yes in most cases. From a technological standpoint, no.

Surely the measurements are backing up your position and not "meaningless"?
Ok, but what is the actual benefit to the listener?

100% with @Gray & @podknocker on this one.

Even in the music world, people will tell you not to run 5m guitar cables without additional buffers etc. I’ve never noticed a difference when playing big stages & needed long 1/4” cabling for guitar > pedalboard > amp.

ToppingSMSL

Oct 10, 2024
Visit site
Ok, but what is the actual benefit to the listener?

100% with @Gray & @podknocker on this one.

Even in the music world, people will tell you not to run 5m guitar cables without additional buffers etc. I’ve never noticed a difference when playing big stages & needed long 1/4” cabling for guitar > pedalboard > amp.
Well clearly there is no benefit in most situations. But they do measure better, unlike expensive Audioquest cables. that's all I'm saying. There is proven science in balanced cable design.

Reactions: Revolutions

Gray

There is proven science in balanced cable design.
There certainly is.
And the video below shows that the starquad cable geometry gives about as much immunity to interference as you can get.
Immunity to interference that can otherwise clearly be measured and heard.

OK, he's placing interference sources right on the cables - and he's working at mic level voltages. Line level hi-fi is never going to be as susceptible, due to its much higher signal to noise ratio - so it can easily be argued that starquad / balanced is overkill.

But, with electromagnetic interference increasingly all around - it's certainly not doing your signal any good - why not minimise it?

A couple of metres of Van Damme Starquad and 4 Neutrik XLR connectors are what your soldering iron was made for....and will be a darn site cheaper than many ready-made RCA cables.
So, once again I say that, given the choice it would always be balanced for me.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuGaA46kHfM

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts