UK house room design and the way it spoils HiFi and TV experience.

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
Why is it that the majority of UK living room designs sucks for HiFi and TV enthusiasts?
If I look at the layout of both old and new living rooms, they are all focused about sitting around a fire place, that in generally no one needs as most homes are centrally heated. I always see TV's tucked away somewhere in the corner, where many sit twisted and uncomfortable to view. The same for HiFi.
For the first new home I bought at the build stage, I was able to stop them fitting a fireplace and had the opening covered so I could place my TV where it should be and the speakers either side.
My current home has some stylish flush wood burning thing, that I will never ever use, so the TV sits right infront of it, speakers either side, with as good as it gets watching and listening position. It also allows a larger sized TV which would be difficult for a corner position. If the house had one of those large open fireplaces, I would simply never have bought the house.
The last few week I have been look at potential future homes in case we decide to move and in most cases the living room layout would limit how I would want to watch my TV and listen to my music. It really limits any future house I would buy.
Sorry, I just don't get why almost every new house has to have a feature fireplace. It's 2022, we have central heating, underfloor heating and absolutely no need for a 17th century fireplace in a new build.
Is it just me or are there others here that feel the same way and any house architects or developer here that would like to comment and get with the future?
Rant over

Friesiansam

I see two ways to fix this. Either be fortunate enough to be able have a house designed and built to match your requirements exactly or, be like me. I don’t care much about TV so have no need to accommodate a large one and, I exclusively listen to music on headphones.

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
A good rant. When we extended, I had the room built around where HC & hifi would go, dedicated mains spur, 7.1 wiring in the walls - and no fireplace.
Few of us have that as an option sadly.
Just that for almost all developers, it's build a house and stick in as big a fireplace as possible.
Maybe in time as emissions get stricter, developers may realise that a fireplace is not actually needed as most of the heat goes up the chimney

A nice job, but if the fireplace was not there you could have the TV at a less elevated view.
There is also some thinking that a TV should not be fixed above a heat source, assuming a fire is used.
The fireplace mantle height was reduced, fireplace capped off and the sofas were designed such that the TV naturally came within the viewing angle without straining the neck.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I have never lived in a dwelling suitable for stereo placement and had speaker wires trailing around rooms. Our first house the hi-fi under the open stairs and our current abode has been extended so makes the fireplace not central in the living room. I suppose it makes a case for ceiling speakers which can be installed anywhere.

abacus

It’s what people want, ask any estate agent and they will tell you that a fireplace (Even if not used) makes the house easier to sell. (Plus as has been mentioned we are a minute minority so are of little interest to builders)

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts