Uh oh...

I mentioned this earlier in the thread about the Jitterbug. For me it simply shows that digital is fast becoming the tweaker's paradise that was once reserved for turntables. Bits obviously aren't just bits after all, and if they are, it is all the other carp that make things sound the way they do.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
I mentioned this earlier in the thread about the Jitterbug. For me it simply shows that digital is fast becoming the tweaker's paradise that was once reserved for turntables. Bits obviously aren't just bits after all, and if they are, it is all the other carp that make things sound the way they do.

Yes, the more i read about the innards of DACS, the more it is revealed that many of the differences in output sound, are related to how well the black box deals with electrical noise and RFI that enters the signal chain through power leads, usb cables, headphone cables.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
21st century graphic equalizer. Not in terms of it's function, but in terms of having something expensive - with a myriad of lights - that makes the 'technician' feel all manly (and in control) in a way that hasn't been around since VU meters, tuning scales and recording levels and equalizers. (Ripping is too easy, children do it.)

The old vinyl systems used to present all manner of challenges in setting them up. (Setting tracking force with scales, protractors for the geometry, overhang, compliance matching tables, mirrors for azimuth, anti-skate, VTA adjustment etc. etc.)

The modern system has nothing with which to blind the family with science and keep them from using your s###! (It's all too damned easy.)

This will help you to regain technical prowess again ...

mutec-mc-3_plus_usb_black_persp_fb_rgb.jpg

Whether it works or not is hardly the point. Look at it. A couple of metres of electrified fencing wouldn't be as intimidating. Job done. (Of course most of it's customers won't understand it either but we won't tell.)

manicm

chebby said:
21st century graphic equalizer. Not in terms of it's function, but in terms of having something expensive - with a myriad of lights - that makes the 'technician' feel all manly (and in control) in a way that hasn't been around since VU meters, tuning scales and recording levels and equalizers. (Ripping is too easy, children do it.)

The old vinyl systems used to present all manner of challenges in setting them up. (Setting tracking force with scales, protractors for the geometry, overhang, compliance matching tables, mirrors for azimuth, anti-skate, VTA adjustment etc. etc.)

The modern system has nothing with which to blind the family with science and keep them from using your s###! (It's all too damned easy.)

This will help you to regain technical prowess again ...

Whether it works or not is hardly the point. Look at it. A couple of metres of electrified fencing wouldn't be as intimidating. Job done. (Of course most of it's customers won't understand it either but we won't tell.)

Uh uh, no now. Rega and Linn and Cyrus are equally guilty - look at their standalone phono amplifiers for example. Those will equally make your head spin.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:

'Course, could be that's because it's designed for technicians, according to the linked article (even though I'd take some convincing that it actually does anything at all).

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:

Agree, after 32 years of attempted digital "tweaking".

PS Audio have some innovative ideas - at a price- in their Directstream range. A CD/DVD Transport that saves the bits into solid state memory before transmitting. A DAC that converts PCM into DSD which sits on a power base that is a mains conditioner and isolation platform in one. Won Absolute Sound and Stereophile product of the year.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I mentioned weeks ago on here how good the Mutec unit is.

I said watch this space and here it is.

It's a stunning unit designed for studio work with a tweak of usb input for computer audio.

Realistic in price as a result.

Great unit

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
A fully loaded box with power supply etc that performs seriously stellar as good as or better than the usb inputs of some very high end dacs - for hundreds of pounds. I have been told this not tested it personally.

The windows drivers are flawless and mine has worked perfectly - I only use a very limited feature set for the unit.

Had it been made by a commercial audio company it would have likely been a prettier box and an extra 0 or so added on the price.

However I have been told there is a new unit out in Taiwan that already betters this - however I have not tested it to know for sure but thats how fast this market moves - potential is great and its much cheaper to tweak and upgrade than the traditional hifi upgrade path.

Thousands spent on cables <-------------------------- Guilty

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:

Indeed, of course bits are just bits, but clock jitter is something else entirely.

Since only a fraction of the posters on here understand digital sampling, the chance that sample clock jitter is a subject they are familiar with is pretty small. This makes it an ideal field for bluffers, chancers and sellers of dubious products.

The place to fix jitter is in the design of the DAC. An async DAC, with a well designed clock is the ideal solution. Everything else is just a compromise.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
andyjm said:
The place to fix jitter is in the design of the DAC. An async DAC, with a well designed clock is the ideal solution. Everything else is just a compromise.

I've never tried free-diving, but I know it's impossible.

andyjm said:
nopiano said:

Indeed, of course bits are just bits, but clock jitter is something else entirely.

Since only a fraction of the posters on here understand digital sampling, the chance that sample clock jitter is a subject they are familiar with is pretty small. This makes it an ideal field for bluffers, chancers and sellers of dubious products.

And noise seems to be an issue too, particularly from Macs which seem to be a popular source for many, whether their regular laptop or a dedicated mini. I guess we shouldn't be surprised, as USB was never intended as an audio standard, was it?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
andyjm said:
nopiano said:

And noise seems to be an issue too, particularly from Macs which seem to be a popular source for many, whether their regular laptop or a dedicated mini. I guess we shouldn't be surprised, as USB was never intended as an audio standard, was it?

Could you post a reference to the noise from Macs please? - I've never heard of this before.

nopiano said:
Infiniteloop said:
nopiano said:
andyjm said:
nopiano said:

Could you post a reference to the noise from Macs please? - I've never heard of this before.
Sure. There was a link in post 12 on this related WHF thread, link below. That took me to Jitterbug measurements. It is a lot to wade through, but it seemed to crop up quite regularly, as if it were well known. Try post no 81 onwards here:-

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18311-AQ-Jitterbug-Measurements/page9

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/audioquest-jitterbug

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts