TXNR717 onkyo- good or prone to reliability issues

Aled Clayton

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi<

Thinking about chaning my old yamaha dspX??? reciever (pre dates HDMI).

Medium sized room, driving AE evo3 front, centre and evo1 surrounds.

Need a pre-out from the reciever for my stereo (arcam a9 integrated).

Tempted by the onkyo- lots of features; but is the sound any good ? and I heared these things can cook your breakfast and overheat and fail- is this true ?

Advise me please< or perhaps suggest alternatives for £300-400. NB pre-outs needed limit the choice a bit.

ta

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
we've had our Onkyo TX-NR717 on the go since Chrimbo, and although it doesn't get used daily, we've had no problems with it. Certainly it hasn't burned the house down yet. Surround sound is good to excellent, not mind blowing, and hifi playback okay, but that could be down to our speakers (Klipsch Reference-IIs but small ones) as much as anything else.

It was the 616 model that allegedly had a spate of catching fire problems.

All-in-all I'd say the Onkyo 717 represents good value for money but if you can stretch to the 818 go for that one.

The only niggle I have is that the FM antenna connection isn't a standard RCA screw-on or a push-fit coax but a screw-on in a size unique to Onkyo. And I've put the cheap Onkyo antenna in the attic in the box (I hope) or lost it unpacking (more likely).

T

the record spot

I went for the 818 and am delighted with it. Great sound quality and as good as any stereo integrated I've had. Sound is detailed without being soulless, ample power, network connectivity (as per the 717). Better spec though, so if you can go to the £599 Richer Sounds are asking for it, then that'd be my suggestion, but the 717 will be a good amp. See what you can find for user reviews on the web; often a very good guide I think.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have an Onkyo 905 and even with the hot weather its been fine and is fantastic through my B&W 605 Theatre and I do like it loud sometimes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts