Two sets of audio connected to one set of speakers??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have two different sets, one for hifi and one for surround.

For now i keep on switching my speakercable when i listen to music or watch a film, because i use one set of speakers.

My quistion is can i keep both set's of speakercable in the speaker, without shorting the speakers or others.

I'll use only one set at a time(stereo or surround).

Hifi; Marantz pm 14, Marantz cd 17, Wharfedale EVO 30. Surround; Denon 3805, Denon 3910 and Wharfedale EVO 30.

A

Anonymous

Am I right in thinking that you use one front set of speakers for both surround and stereo duties?

If this is the case the way I would get around this is use the front L&R preouts from the Denon and connect them to a spare set of inputs on the Marantz and connect the speaker cable to the Marantz. This means you can use the your Marantz to power the front speakers in stereo, and when you need them for surround duties you switch the Marantz on, levelling the volume to match the other channels on the denon. I used to do this and so I had the stereo amps volume set to 12 O'clock every time I used it with the AV amp, which matched the levels of the other channels on the AV amp, then the AV amp controls the volume thereafter.

Its a popular configuration for those people who use one set of speakers for both AV an Stereo, I hope this is clear and refers to your dilemma.

A

Anonymous

I use to do this with an other stereo amp, and all was good, now with this Marantz i did this and the sound was not loud.

I had to set the stereo amp open at about 12;15!!

To play the amp this loud, gave me a bad feeling.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
but if have say cheap items with no pre outs ect, surley there is some switcher box out there.

My mate uses 2way lighting switch's with neons so if the switch's are at the neon side its the av amp and down the stero amp the problem is you need to bridge the backs and need a four way,8 if you biwire.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Switches will only be OK if they completely isolate one amp from the speakers before connecting the other. Otherwise there is always the possibility of expensive mistakes.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
you cant short them out, you have a cable in common which is your one going to the speaker, then put av cable in L1 and stereo amp into L2, the problem is you need a 2way switch for each pos/neg then you bridge them so you cant switch one and not the other. my mate sits there with both amps on and listens to music while playing xbox360 and then switch's when he wants the sound from the game. The problem i see is that a domestic switch can not be a good joint.

A

Anonymous

I have, in the past connected 1 set of front speakers (Kef) to 2 amps, 1 A/V Yamaha other Stereo also Yamaha, just by wiring the speakers directly to both amps, only listening to 1 obviously with other switched off. I did not notice any degradation of sound, I am using high quality cable........but as I am about to order some new speakers, EB2, & re-connect both amps, my question is......................

Should/Does this method degrade the sound because of using 2 sets of speaker wires, 1 amp on other off?

If the answer is no, no degradation, why do so many people suggest a 'speaker switch', which in my experience are the very essence of distorting signals.

If the answer is there would be degradation, please explain why.

T

the record spot

Stick a passive switch on, no issues. Anyway, plugging in two lots of audio into the one set of speakers is one of the ingredients in the Great Audio Disasters Pie recipe. Available from Wellitseemedlikeagoodideaatthetime.com at significant expense (just pay after you try).

But don't come back here and say we didn't warn you... :rant:

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I can heartily recommend the Beresford - got myself one a couple of weeks ago. No perceptible loss ofhi-fi SQ (although I didn't do any real comparitive testing), and I have to say the improvement in SQ from the Onkyo AV is just what I was hoping for. Surround sound is far more cohesive, especially across the front sound stage, than using the stereo amp for L/R duties.

And it has certainly made life easier for the rest of the family, who have regularly watched entire movies in my absence without the stereo amp switched on - and hence no front L/R!

The only caveat is that the terminals on the back of the 7220 are positioned quite close, so heavy speaker cables can be a bit of a performance to get connected.

A

Anonymous

lago said:
I have, in the past connected 1 set of front speakers (Kef) to 2 amps, 1 A/V Yamaha other Stereo also Yamaha, just by wiring the speakers directly to both amps, only listening to 1 obviously with other switched off. I did not notice any degradation of sound, I am using high quality cable.......

A very brave and bold move. I guess the output transistors are switched off so the dead amp won't 'fight' the other one in the case you have there. Wiring two amps outputs together is rather risky though - especially when you accidentally switch them on together.

I wouldn't turn up the volume too much either, at some point the dead amp 'will' conduct rather sharply and possible burn out both amps, or at least the output fuses - if fitted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts