TV vs Projector picture quality

ibl0010

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Has any one with tv and a projector compare the picture quality of both and which one gives better picture quality.This question is more to those that have both a tv and projector as I cant decide if to buy a tv or projector.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
depends what you want to use it for.

Watching tv etc on a pj is a waste really as the bulb life is finite and expensive to replace, plus depending on the light you may have to close the curtains etc in order to see it properly.

ibl0010

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
cheeseboy said:

Watching tv etc on a pj is a waste really as the bulb life is finite and expensive to replace, plus depending on the light you may have to close the curtains etc in order to see it properly.

Oh forgot to say that if i go the pj route it will only be used at weekend occasionally for football, movie and hd (i will have a smaller tv for new and boring programes). I can control sun light from outside but the room is white ceiling and magnolia wall. To me picture quality and the expense of bulb replacement is the reason i can't decide if to just buy a bigger tv now or a small tv with a projector.

ibl0010

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
cheeseboy said:

Oh forgot to say that if i go the pj route it will only be used at weekend occasionally for football, movie and hd (i will have a smaller tv for new and boring programes). I can control sun light from outside but the room is white ceiling and magnolia wall. To me picture quality and the expense of bulb replacement is the reason i can't decide if to just buy a bigger tv now or a small tv with a projector.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ibl0010 said:

I'll be honest, it's a tricky one. If you've got full surround already and stuff like that, then I don't think you can really beat a projector for that cinema/big match feel. And that kind of trumps picture quality in that respect if it makes sense?

ibl0010

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
ibl0010 said:

I'll be honest, it's a tricky one. If you've got full surround already and stuff like that, then I don't think you can really beat a projector for that cinema/big match feel. And that kind of trumps picture quality in that respect if it makes sense?

'And that kind of trumps picture quality in that respect if it makes sense' are you saying that because of the large image size a projector can produce that one is likely not to pay attention to picture quality. Yes i have already have a surround 5.1. In my mind am thinking if a projector is likely not to give equal picture quality to a tv and the cost of bulb replacement every few year add up after a while then is it not better to get a 55 to 60 inches without the need to replace any bulb.

ibl0010

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
ibl0010 said:

'And that kind of trumps picture quality in that respect if it makes sense' are you saying that because of the large image size a projector can produce that one is likely not to pay attention to picture quality. Yes i have already have a surround 5.1. In my mind am thinking if a projector is likely not to give equal picture quality to a tv and the cost of bulb replacement every few year add up after a while then is it not better to get a 55 to 60 inches without the need to replace any bulb.

abacus

I have been using a PJ and TV for over 10 years now and there is no way I would have one or the other on its own.

TVs are great for general viewing, but personally I find anything less than 65” is complete waste of space for watching films etc. (You just don’t get a cinematic experience with them)

PJ work best in a darkened room which is always a pain for general viewing (Not as convenient as a TV).

Typical lamp life is 4-5000 hours these days so if you use it like you envisage then by the time the lamp needs changing, you will probably be looking at buying a new 4K projector, as HD projectors will have gone the way of HD TV. (4K will be the norm by the time you come to change)

One more thing to remember, projectors don’t come with smart features, therefore if you use the TV for streaming films then a PJ may not be for you. However as pretty much every other connected device can stream films it’s not really that much o problem unless you steadfastly refuse to use anything else but your TV for streaming.

Picture quality wise, if you get the right projector (Use the same principles as when you buy a TV) then you will not lose out to a TV. (To be quite honest once you view a good projector, you will wonder why you ever bothered watching films on a TV)

Hope this helps

Bill

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You can have a Projector Calibrated the same as a TV.

I would expect this to make more of a difference on a PJ and should be high on the list of investments once purchased

BowserWilkens

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a 42" plasma for tv & gaming & the cheapo Benq w1070 for movies.

I was in the same quandary about a year ago, before I took the plunge & bought the Benq.

Haven't looked back since - a 110" screen & 3D make the projector unbeatable for movies.

Get yourself a motorised screen (as big as possible) and you'll find the pleasure in watching tv casually but when it comes to movies, it's a real feeling of event. The lights go down, the screen lowers, you settle in & forget everything except what you're watching. 3D is nowhere near as effective and engrossing on a 55" tv.

My first movie on the projector was The Dark Knight Rises & I grinned for whole film. Size does matter, & with calibration or even online guides to setting up the picture on your projector, you can achieve picture quality that rivals or trumps big screen tv's that cost more.

ibl0010

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
i should imagin that with 5 hours useage every weekend that should give me about 4 years on a 5,000 lamp.

Screen wise i might actually for a 65 to 84 inches screen. Would a 65 inches screen give a cinema like experience.

Is there any truth in this 'smaller screen < 92 diagonal you do better to get a higher contrast / low resolution projector and that Bigger screen > 92 diagonal you do better to get a higher resolution projector

BowserWilkens

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I would say that if you're considering a 65" projector screen, just buy a 65" tv.

It's not only the picture quality but also the scale that is important with a projection screen.

Anything over 90" is just so much more imposing and dramatic - any loss in PQ is quickly forgiven, not that there should be much loss if you set up your projector diligently.

ibl0010

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
BowserWilkens said:
I would say that if you're considering a 65" projector screen, just buy a 65" tv.

It's not only the picture quality but also the scale that is important with a projection screen.

Anything over 90" is just so much more imposing and dramatic - any loss in PQ is quickly forgiven, not that there should be much loss if you set up your projector diligently.

i meant 75 to 84 inches. i typed 6 instead of 7.

BowserWilkens

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
oh 75"?

Nonetheless, I'd go for a projector & the biggest screen possible if I were you.

You can always buy a new tv later (I'm assuming you already have a tv in use) & you'll get a much bigger wow factor from the larger image.

Plus you won't feel so guilty about splashing out your money when you clap eyes on your favourite movie on an enormous screen.

You'll think "Yes, this was worth it!!" :cheer:

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
thats a mistake to go for the biggest screen possible

as a guide albeit a very good one you sit at 1.5 width so a 2 mtr width screen you sit at 3 mtrs and so on

sitting too close infront of a very large screen is trerrible

BowserWilkens

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
RE: TV vs Projector picture quality By biggest screen possible I was implying that the OP should go for the largest screen possible based on both the size of their room and their sitting position relative to the screen.

I wasn't suggesting sitting 1 metre away from a 5 metre screen or something.

It's just I'm sure that if they went for a smaller screen that was possible under the conditions mentioned, they might feel, "Damn, it could have been bigger...." if you see what I mean.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ibl0010 said:
Has any one with tv and a projector compare the picture quality of both and which one gives better picture quality.This question is more to those that have both a tv and projector as I cant decide if to buy a tv or projector.

Forget quality comparisons - using a projector for movies is more about the experience.

A good quality TV will generally look sharper than a projector as its 2,073,600 pixels are packed into a smaller area. Some projectors will look sharper than others, particularly better quality ones over budget ones.

ibl0010

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
thanks for all your input guys, i think i will go the small tv and projector route especially since i came across the w1070 for £499 with 5 years warranty and free glasses.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
If you can afford it, might be worth looking at an Epson Pro Cinema 6030UB (USA) / EH-TW9000 (Europe) projector.

This series is designated the "Ultra Black" in the USA (hence the UB after the model number in the US version).

Claimed contrast ratio is a massive 600,000:1 which is around 5 times the contrast ratio on their "normal" projectors.

I haven't seen one of these myself, but know of people who've tested projectors for another application (non cinema) that requires high contrast and ultra black blacks and who've said that this is pretty much the best projector on the market for that purpose even against other projectors 4 or 5 times it's price.

So might be worth a look if your budget stretches to £2,700.

The successor of that Epson is 9200. I've compared that with Sony HW55, and found Sony to be much better, especially with blacks and motion. Sony's cheaper sibling, the Haw40 at £1840 offers similar performance.

Of course, I can see the budget, so this post may be irrelevant to the OP.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Can't say I have any experience with it, but here it says they're pretty comparable for blacks:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/vpl-hw55es-image-quality/#sony-vpl-hw55-es-black-level-performance

..and it looks to be the case in the sample images.

The Sony appears to get the slight nod overall, although very little difference.

The Epson has the edge on claimed brightness 2400 vs 1700 lumen.

Guess it all comes down to budget!

BTW above, in my post above, I meant it was the best of those tested (they tested quite a few but not everyone on the market!). I tried to alter it last night, but a sp4m filter wouldn't allow me to edit the post.

TRENDING THREADS