TV viewing distance

pantechnicon

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Just curious as to whether the TV viewing distances quoted in the magazine (1.3m for a 32" upto 2.1m for a 50") are what people actually use everyday?

I sit 3m from a 32" and, whilst I appreciate I'm getting far from an immersive experience, at 1.3m I'd be more worried about square eyes!

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
pantechnicon said:
Hi,

Just curious as to whether the TV viewing distances quoted in the magazine (1.3m for a 32" upto 2.1m for a 50") are what people actually use everyday?

I sit 3m from a 32" and, whilst I appreciate I'm getting far from an immersive experience, at 1.3m I'd be more worried about square eyes!
Hi I sit approx 3.5 mtrs from my 50 inch panasonic no reason it just feels about right:) :) :)

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
It's purely subjective and a personal choice. My wife and I sit about 3 metres from a 20" screen (with good surround sound) and it feels absolutely normal. I've asked her whether we need a larger TV and she replies an emphatic NO !

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

bob.g said:
My wife and I sit about 3 metres from a 20" screen

"Dad, can we get a bigger tv?"

"Sorry son, I've asked your mum, and she says no"

iStock_000002030695XSmall_boy_binoculars.jpg

D

Deleted member 2457

pantechnicon said:
Hi,

I have always used it as a buying guide, and have always been happy.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
1.3m from a 50" sounds a bit daft. Some of the specs seem to overdo it and assume you're a 'front of the cinema' person.

For TVs I think a lot of it depends on preference and usage, whereas for projectors people do want to have more immersion in films, and so tend to sit closer to big screens. Some want a small unobtrusive TV.

I watch a 26" TV from about 2.8m, and it's fine, (plus I can also see the HD difference, (even though it's HD ready 768 rather than 1080), which if you look at the figures the experts reckon I can't). This was bought before we moved, and though it's fine, I think if I bought for the current room I'd go 32" perhaps.

I have to add though that this is in additon to a projector, so I'm not film wathcing on this. The projector I now sit aqbout 2.6m from a 1.6m wide screen, (72" diagonal approx), and this is good. I'm a towrd the rear kind of cinema person, so this is a good balance of immersion and seeing the whole picture for me. I have tried slightly bigger at that distance, (about 180cm wide), which was good, (no better really though), but not as convenient, and much bigger, (about 2m wide at 2.9m at previous home).

Even the 2m wide wasn't too overbearing, and it certainly gave a big cinema feel, but wasn't a goer in the current room, and though I dind't find scanning an issue, I think it was maybe a bit too wide; I get more of a sense of the whole scene with the current set up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts