Speaker match Accuphase E-211?

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I just LOVE my combo of Accuphase E-350 and (heavily modified) Sonus Faber Grand Piano. After years and years of going back and forth with all kinds of eqpt, this turned out to be the magic combo for me. Couldn't be happier. The set is placed in my 8 x 4m party room/amateur home studio. I mainly listen to 70s/80s bass driven music (JA, UK based) - producers such as Lee Perry, Adrian Sherwood and Bill Laswell are amongst my faves. This music has many layers, so positioning and placement is important to get the most out of it. Also, bass should be equally deep and clear (not boomy).

Now, I've been looking to get a 2nd set in order to create a similar listening experience in my smaller living room, but having tried, this combo is just too much for my 3,60 x 3,40 metres 'listening part' of the room. Therefore, I would like to ask some help...

Room specs: Distance from wall to couch is 2,5 metres. On the left hand side there's a wall; an 'empty' (20 square metre) space is on the right hand side. I have a 1,5 metre TV cabinet in the middle of the 3,40m wall.

I have now purchased an Accuphase E-211 and I'm looking for a good (compact) speaker match. They should be pretty insensitive in terms of placement, given the room specs.

I got a feeling for the KEF LS-50, but do have doubts over whether I'm gonna be able to get the best out of those given my circumstances. Any suggestions would be much appreciated ;-)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Patrick Dokter said:
Hi all,

I just LOVE my combo of Accuphase E-350 and (heavily modified) Sonus Faber Grand Piano. After years and years of going back and forth with all kinds of eqpt, this turned out to be the magic combo for me. Couldn't be happier. The set is placed in my 8 x 4m party room/amateur home studio. I mainly listen to 70s/80s bass driven music (JA, UK based) - producers such as Lee Perry, Adrian Sherwood and Bill Laswell are amongst my faves. This music has many layers, so positioning and placement is important to get the most out of it. Also, bass should be equally deep and clear (not boomy).

Now, I've been looking to get a 2nd set in order to create a similar listening experience in my smaller living room, but having tried, this combo is just too much for my 3,60 x 3,40 metres 'listening part' of the room. Therefore, I would like to ask some help...

Room specs: Distance from wall to couch is 2,5 metres. On the left hand side there's a wall; an 'empty' (20 square metre) space is on the right hand side. I have a 1,5 metre TV cabinet in the middle of the 3,40m wall.

I have now purchased an Accuphase E-211 and I'm looking for a good (compact) speaker match. They should be pretty insensitive in terms of placement, given the room specs.

I got a feeling for the KEF LS-50, but do have doubts over whether I'm gonna be able to get the best out of those given my circumstances. Any suggestions would be much appreciated ;-)

Hi,

Good to find a fellow E350 owner... the best amp I've ever owned.

Well as you will see from my sig, I use Harbeth SHL5+ and have very small listening room 5m by 3 and the combo is sublime. If you feel they would be too big for your needs definitely look at other models in the Harbeth line up.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Thx Mac,

I've read about Harbeth as well, especially the SHL5+ have been praised as a 'man & wife' combo with the E-350... Unfortunately at this moment they are above my budget... Or maybe a smaller model to match my E-211?

How sensitive are they to placement not too far from the back wall? Or translated into your environment: are you also facing the 'long' wall and how far did you position them from that wall?

Thx again for taking the effort to inform ;-) much appreciated!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Patrick Dokter said:
Thx - i've actually tested these for about a week before bumping into the Sonus Fabers. Liked the overall sound, although they were lacking some punch & dynamics for my ears.

If I had a pure Class A amp like Accuphase or Luxman, in my list would also be Wilson Benesch Arc or the cheaper Square One. Heard both with a Bryston kit. Excellent SQ.

Not wishing to nitpick PP, but The E211 nor the E350 is a pure class A amp, class A/B

Patrick,

My listening positioning is facing the long wall so would be considered near field listening. The speakers are approx 6ft apart one is in a corner, not tight in as where it's towed init leaves a nice gap at the back and the other also towed in, but this one is at the open end of the room.

So as you can see not ideal conditions, but the combo really does work... perhaps the Harbeth 30.1 or P3ESR?

Is there any chance of having a home demo where you are?

Mac

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Macspur said:
Patrick,

My listening positioning is facing the long wall so would be considered near field listening. The speakers are approx 6ft apart one is in a corner, not tight in as where it's towed init leaves a nice gap at the back and the other also towed in, but this one is at the open end of the room.

So as you can see not ideal conditions, but the combo really does work... perhaps the Harbeth 30.1 or P3ESR?

Mac

Hi Mac,

Thx again...

So your listening position is about similar to mine...

Home auditioning would have to be on "internet sales = 14-30 days return right" - depending on the country where I buy.

There's a shop in Germany that sells Harbeth HL Compact and HL-P3 NOS. He also has a pair of used Monitor 30. Do you know of these??? They are all within a £150 price bracket (£1100 - £1250) - would have to stretch my budget for that but if I sell some studio gear it won't be a problem. Will just have to be patient for a couple of weeks.

Also been looking at those Wilson Benesch Square One - also seems interesting - but impossible to audition...

Guess I will send the German dealer an email and explain my situation. See what he comes up with for advice...

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Patrick Dokter said:
Macspur said:
Patrick,

Mac

Hi Mac,

Thx again...

So your listening position is about similar to mine...

Home auditioning would have to be on "internet sales = 14-30 days return right" - depending on the country where I buy.

There's a shop in Germany that sells Harbeth HL Compact and HL-P3 NOS. He also has a pair of used Monitor 30. Do you know of these??? They are all within a £150 price bracket (£1100 - £1250) - would have to stretch my budget for that but if I sell some studio gear it won't be a problem. Will just have to be patient for a couple of weeks.

Also been looking at those Wilson Benesch Square One - also seems interesting - but impossible to audition...

Guess I will send the German dealer an email and explain my situation. See what he comes up with for advice...

No probs.

I demoed some Compact 7's and didn't like them at all and I've only heard the 30.1 model which were used with a sub and did sound very nice indeed.

Not heard the little P3ESR though, but everything I read about them is positive...

Another brand that is supposed to go well with Accuphase is Focal... would be quite a different sound from SF or Harbeth though.

Definitely worth contacting the dealer... if you were in the UK you would have been welcome to come and have a listen to my set up.

Keep us posted how you get on.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts