TV sizing/sitting to close question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi There and a Happy NY to you all!

I want to upgrade my current 32" CRT Sony to something bigger and better.

I watch equally; SD freeview, have a PS3 and watch movies from a laptop (usually SD quality).

I have read the sticky in this forum and know that a 46" screen will be too big if i only sit 3m from it.

But will it really look wrong? is the recomendation "conservative" for distances? Does anyone have a screen of that size and sit about 3m or less away?

Also, i have narrowed my choice of TV to either a 40w3000 Sony or 46" version, or possibly the Panasonic 42PZ70? Perhaps the Panasonic should be my 1st choice given the reviews,

Thanks

Martin

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Martin - and a Happy New Year to you!

Re sizing - yes, they are conservative (I sit 4m from an 80in screen!), but for good reason in situations exactly like yours. You're going to be watching predominately SD content on a Full HD resolution set that's significantly bigger than your current, SD set. Sit too close and even on the best sets (with the best upscaling) you're going to be stretching SD content to (and most likely beyond) its limits - meaning you'll see pixellation and more.

If you were watching mostly HD content, you could sit closer.

But hey - 3m is a decent distance, and all the sets you've mentioned are good ones, so with a good TV signal and a well-calibrated set you could be OK. This is why we say to try before you buy!

A

Anonymous

Thanks to both of you, Claire and Andrew. Your comments are most welcome.

Having read some more posts, it seems the Pioneer 4280XD should really be at the top of my list over the PZ70B? Even though its not full HD (which the PS3 can output) , I'm right i thinking that i probably wont notice the difference?

but it is £300 more, so its a tough one!

M

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yes, the Pioneer is fab, but you won't be disappointed with the Panasonic and frankly the lack of Full HD resolution is barely perceptible - any apparent drop in detail is nigh-on negligible.

For the record, I sit 3m from my Sony 40in Bravia LCD and it's no problem at all.

A

Anonymous

I'm pretty much set on the Pioneer then, now, thanks to everyone's advice on this thread and others....

Lat question though (if thats OK?)

4280XD or 428XD model? is the calibration and auto dimming thingy worth it? (PiP doesnt hold much appeal)

Thanks

Martin

A

Anonymous

Update... Just in case anyone's interested, I eventually went for the 42PZ70B. Mainly because the Pioneer was £500 (£1309 v £809) more and I could really see that much difference.Its a superb piece of kit, well build and solid.The picture with COD 4 on the PS3 is amazing, very detailed. Standard freview looks fine with the higher quality channels (ie not Dave which seems to use a higher compression than others)Hope that helps.M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts