TV reflections. ..like a mirror. Solutions?

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Watching my new TV in the evening is proving to be a challenge. The screen is very reflective, like a mirror, so when the central ceiling light is on you can see yourself reflected back. It is incredibly distracting and especially bad during darker scenes. There are two corner lamps along the tv wall ( tv is low, and wall mounted at seated eye level). As the tv is on the chimney breast the lamps in the room corners sit back a bit behind the tv. However with the lamps on and the main light off it is not bright enough in the room. Has anyone had to deal with reflection problems with their tvs? Any solutions other than sit in the dark?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi SiUK

I have a 55 in Philips tv which has a mirrored like front panel and I too can see myself sometimes, I have started to noticed it a bit more now the nights are drawing in,.

If I am watching a film, I usually do with the lights off, but when watching normal tv or sport, I have small spotlights on the ceiling at the side and behind me which output low level light, this helps a bit but only if I turn the lights out does the problem disappear completely.

Reflections can also be more noticeable depending on things like what colour your walls are, my room also contains a projector so my walls are painted a dark colour so I don't get any light reflection from the walls distracting me when watching a film.

hope this gives you something to think about.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately any light in front of the TV will create a reflection no matter how small.

Only thing that I can suggest is that you buy a 6 or 8 foot rope light and wrap it around the back of your TV (using cable ties) making sure that you can't see any of the light directly, this'll give you a diffused light whilst giving you no reflections.

Also using LED's it's cheap to run

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
macdiddy said:
ope this gives you something to think about.
Thanks macdiddy, yes it has.As you say with the nights drawing in it suddenly becomes more noticeable. My old lcd was matt so didn't suffer from mirror-like reflection problems. Didn't cross my mind as a consideration when purchasing therefore. Buying a tv is a bit of a minefield.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Just change the angle of the TV slightly so the reflection bounces off elsewhere.
Well that was my first thought, bigboss...except I mounted the tv on a flush mount so it can't be angled. Doh! Now I regret it. Although it would be difficult to angle a tv so it was viewable when mounted at seated eye level. Thanks for input though.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
Only

thing that I can suggest is that you buy a 6 or 8 foot rope light and wrap it around the back of your TV (using cable ties) making sure that you can't see any of the light directly, this'll give you a diffused light whilst giving you no reflections.

Also using LED's it's cheap to run
Sounds interesting. Shall look into that. Thanks, skippy.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I've ordered some led 'flexible' self adhesive stuff on a reel of 5 metres. Also ordered a dimmer and a psu. Hopefully I've ordered all the right bits to get it working (and hopefully bright enough). When they arrive I'll stick it to the wall (or maybe even wrap it around the TV mounting bracket) behind the TV and see if it makes any difference.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Set that up last night (the led lights on a strip behind TV). There is a slight improvement, but we still wouldn't be able to have the main light on and watch TV as well due to position of ceiling rose and TV..well films/programmes with many dark scenes are a no no with the light on. With 30w 'warm' lamps on in both the alcove corners and the led light from behind the TV it is much better, and actually looks nice, so money not completely wasted :grin: Very relaxing. The little dimmer I bought can halve and quarter the light output from the leds as well, so if less light is needed the wee remote makes it easy to switch.

Once you notice the reflections it's hard not to focus on them. That said, once I've accepted that another TV probably won't solve the problem, only less light, my 'ignore circuits' will no doubt kick back in and I'll just blot it out...as you do. My old 32" CRT and then the other 32" LCD I got to replace it, were both in a corner of the room, for many years; the chimney breast mounted position is new. I think that this has contirbuted to making the reflections more noticeable, probably because there is an adjacent window which is the width of the room, plus two glass paneled doors. That said, I have always considered it to be a dark room, even with all the glass (hence borrowed lights) but it's just how the light scatters in the room.

I think I need to move into a windowless house, or a house with a windowless basement.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
It's never a good idea to mount a TV on a chimney breast, they almost always end up far too high up for comfortable viewing. Presumably you're not actually using the fireplace?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
It's never a good idea to mount a TV on a chimney breast, they almost always end up far too high up for comfortable viewing. Presumably you're not actually using the fireplace?

also if the tv is mounted that high it makes it easier to see the light etc in it. If the tv is lower down on a stand for instance then you won't see the light in the tv.

glad the lighten strips have helped a little though, a picture of it would be great to see what it looks like now :)

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the TV is mounted at almost original 'stand height' on the chimney breast...maybe a few cms diffrence at most. At seated eye level (I mentioned that in my first post ;-) ) I just mounted it to clear the surface area under the TV for neatness and it looks okay. I really can't abide high mounted TVs. It's a pet hate of mine in fact.

I'll take some snaps later.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
SiUK said:
Actually, the TV is mounted at almost original 'stand height' on the chimney breast...maybe a few cms diffrence at most. At seated eye level (I mentioned that in my first post ;-) ) I just mounted it to clear the surface area under the TV for neatness and it looks okay. I really can't abide high mounted TVs. It's a pet hate of mine in fact.

I'll take some snaps later.

ah sorry :oops:

i read it a few days ago and my memory isn't great! Also it seems strange as does that mean although you have a chimney breast you don't have a fire anymore? That's probably what got me confused (doesn't take much to be fair :rofl: )

picks would be great, cheers

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
No no, sokay, not a problem in any way :)

Yeah, that's right, no fire, just a small box hole where a gas fire used to be (bottom of TV partially covers it). I haven't got around to blocking it off totally (been deprioritised many times) and actually considered opening the fireplace up at one point to fit all the gear inside on shelves....but the shelves would have needed to be deeper than the fireplace as the space isn't deep enough to accomodate full size AV / Hifi components and power cabling. Still a possibility, but It'll only happen when I get around to redoing the downstairs rooms from scratch (gutting it IOW) which will happen only when time and enthusiasm allows. ;)

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
2) Change the TV mount to enable tilting.....

If we are unable to live with it, bigboss, I may well do as you suggest, and get another wall mount with tilt, mount it slightly higher and tilt it down a tadge.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for the atrocious pictures...no flash...well left it off so it didn't bounce off everything and didn't set for long exposures so....horrid, but you get the idea :grin:

As a btw, I had to make a light re/deflector to prevent the light illuminating the box void below the tv (where the gas fire use to be). I used picture mounting board and fixed it to the box void wood surround like a mini shelf. It worked fine. The hole lit up like a massive lamp without it.

LED lights off

9ygq.jpg

LED lights on 100%

vlo5.jpg

LED lights on 50%

b4so.jpg

LED lights on 25%

50xg.jpg

Room angle 1

tkub.jpg

Room angle 2

vg65.jpg

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
SiUK said:
bigboss said:
2) Change the TV mount to enable tilting.....

If we are unable to live with it, bigboss, I may well do as you suggest, and get another wall mount with tilt, mount it slightly higher and tilt it down a tadge.

pics look great, I like the lighting. I see what you mean about a low wall mount as well. Think id have 25% light or pitch black! would depend on what I was watching.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Just had another look, the 100% makes your screen look so much brighter as well! you sure you didn't crank up the contrast and brightness for that one :)

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Shame it didn't help you, but the ambient lighting does look nice.

http://www.displaywindows.com/display_enhancement/coatings.htm May be another solution, but I don't know the cost or how easy it is to apply.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
@rocketrazor

I think it's just the camera. Same settings for all photos. It does make it brighter though, but not quite as bright as appears in the photo...well it doesn't seem like it.

We (me and 'er) also decided that it was either 25% or off for films. Started watching a film this evening at 50%, then knocked it to 25% after 30 seconds, but then switched it off altogether, which we both found was better, although the blacks seemed blacker with LEDS on 25% if you know what I mean.

For general TV 50% will be fine though (with the side lamps on), but I think 25% will be the most relaxing and all lights off will be best for watching films.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
@skippy

Yeah, it's not bad at all. And it helped a bit, and a bit is better than nothing at all :)

I was looking at coatings and anti glare screens today, but some of them are £250+ .... 'blimey!' So I'll try painting all the windows and walls with blackout paint first ;) (not really of course...well)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts