TV newb with some Qs

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys, haven't bought a new TV in 10 years so my knowledge is well out of date ! Do you mind if I ask some Qs?

I note that you more or less can't buy a 1080p TV any more, they are all 4k or 8k
1. But I have lots of 1080p blu-ray discs and an old but good 1080p blu ray player that doesn't upscale to 4k. How will blu rays look on a 4k TV? I am guessing the TV will do some internal upscaling? Is the quality of that highly variable from one TV to another?
2. I also only have Sky Q in 1080p - so same question, what is Sky Q going to look like upscaled to 4k by a current TV?
3. Any 50 inch mid-price TV recommendations bearing in mind those points above about me not having 4k source material ?

Thanks !

My experience is that modern TVs upscale 1080 very well, so I wouldn't worry about that - though if you are able to have a demo before buying , that might help you decide whether you like one particular model more. If yo are UK-based, Richer Sounds would always be my first port of call. Good pricing, happy to let you demo and a six-year warranty (not sure if that applies t all TVs, but it did to mine).

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
My experience is that modern TVs upscale 1080 very well, so I wouldn't worry about that - though if you are able to have a demo before buying , that might help you decide whether you like one particular model more. If yo are UK-based, Richer Sounds would always be my first port of call. Good pricing, happy to let you demo and a six-year warranty (not sure if that applies t all TVs, but it did to mine).
Cheers yes last TV from them at their Guildford branch so might book a visit

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
most modern TVs are 4k and all have 1080P 1080P is gernally all you need as many transmissions are not in 4k at all . Think sport is on Sky. BBC does have 4k but believe not all programs are in 4k Ideal size of TV is 50 inch to 55inch Anymore than that might find the picture is not as good as might think . Yes a huge 70 inch wow but it has its draw backs 1 has to be put on a way 2 look at further than might think 3 expensive ie double of a 55 inch. 4 more expensives models much better than others at above 50 inches Sony and Samsung are best followed by Hisense prices here are stratopheric £1500 to £2500 . Is it worth the money paying treble the price for a 70 inch ,which you can only watch from a wall ? 4 buying an older model be a good idea ie 2023 models can be highly discounted. , as much as £500 off. I did see a 2022 model half price ie a Samsung

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
most modern TVs are 4k and all have 1080P 1080P is gernally all you need as many transmissions are not in 4k at all . Think sport is on Sky. BBC does have 4k but believe not all programs are in 4k Ideal size of TV is 50 inch to 55inch Anymore than that might find the picture is not as good as might think . Yes a huge 70 inch wow but it has its draw backs 1 has to be put on a way 2 look at further than might think 3 expensive ie double of a 55 inch. 4 more expensives models much better than others at above 50 inches Sony and Samsung are best followed by Hisense prices here are stratopheric £1500 to £2500 . Is it worth the money paying treble the price for a 70 inch ,which you can only watch from a wall ? 4 buying an older model be a good idea ie 2023 models can be highly discounted. , as much as £500 off. I did see a 2022 model half price ie a Samsung
adding to that few programs on BBC ITV are in 4k only the player is. Olympics might be. I do remember during the UK Olympics they tried 3 D trial . It was a waste of time and could be dangerous to watch , for any length of time . So they stopped it Thankfully

daveh75

watching a TV close will affect your eyes they do advise you what distance to watch the tv depending on size of it Now the prefect size for watch games . i been told is 65 inches

This is nonsense!

The optimal screen size is related to viewing distance and resolution of the media being viewed etc.

Not some arbitrary figure pulled out of thin air.

Reactions: Revolutions
This is nonsense!

The optimal screen size is related to viewing distance and resolution of the media being viewed etc.

Wonder if this could help me justify a bigger screen...

This is nonsense!

According to that calculator, we should have a 75” TV…

Now that is nonsense!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts