TV as secondary purpose

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I have my speakers on stands left and right of my tv. I am not a major tv watcher but enjoy the odd novie and series. My tv has no optical out.

If I plugged the RCA sound out cables to my amp, would this be a good way to get a better sound when watching movies. I have zero interest in adding a sub and obviously there is no centre channel. Just wondering is this a way that it can be done, thanks

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
The simple answer is yes, should sound much better as your hi-fi speakers will be much better than the tiny puny speakers in any TV. I always play my TV's sound through my Hi-Fi.

Yes, as already stated. I did exactly that at our last house, and enjoyed way better sound than poxy home cinema pods that I once used. Sadly no longer possible since moving, but a nice Canton sound-base does a sterling job.

shadders

Hi,

I have been doing this ever since I had a Nicam video recorder since 1990, and it is a much better sound. Problem is, sometimes things on the TV sound like events in your surroundings, and sometimes I end up investigating something or other.

Regards,

Shadders.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
shadders said:
Hi,

I have been doing this ever since I had a Nicam video recorder since 1990, and it is a much better sound. Problem is, sometimes things on the TV sound like events in your surroundings, and sometimes I end up investigating something or other.

Regards,

Shadders.

Like doorbells? Dogs barking and that man behind the door :)

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
One word of caution - and of course it could be that no-one else has had this issue... But, I tend to find that on Blu-ray discs, and in some HD broadcasts (particularly movies), the speech track has a lower volume than the others, and it can get lost in 2.0 configuration meaning the volume needs to be turned up more than I'd like. I've had some movies that are pretty much unwatchable unless in 5.1 because of it.

That said, I'm in agreement with the others - it'll sound way better in general use.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
One word of caution - and of course it could be that no-one else has had this issue... But, I tend to find that on Blu-ray discs, and in some HD broadcasts (particularly movies), the speech track has a lower volume than the others, and it can get lost in 2.0 configuration meaning the volume needs to be turned up more than I'd like. I've had some movies that are pretty much unwatchable unless in 5.1 because of it.

That said, I'm in agreement with the others - it'll sound way better in general use.

I have not tried it yet, but this was actually the problem that I was wondering about. I'll try it the weekend and see. I have a bit of pulling and dragging to set it up, but if I don't like it I can keep it connected, just not use the amp, so nothing to lose by giving it a go

Samd

chris_bates1974 said:

I had always thought that this was because I have 'dialogue' at increased level which is fine at 5.1 but cannot be picked up in stereo - must experiement! Planet Earth 2 really suffers from this for me. Diabolical that the Beeb tx'd this in stereo!

TRENDING THREADS