admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,can anyone tell me if i can use a phono amp for my pioneer pl340 turntable.i connected a nad pp1 to my turntable then 2 an aux. on my yamaha dspax 757se surround amp and sound was distorted. i bought pp1 for £20 on ebay so dont know if thats faulty or not but was going 2 buy better one anyway but want 2 know if a pre phono amp would work?

A

Anonymous

Not familiar with the deck but a quick check suggests it doesn't have built in phono stage or anything, and connecting it to the aux on the amp via a phono stage is the correct thing to do, assuming no phono stage/input on the amp.

Could you get the phono stage and checked out by a local friendly dealer?

I'm presuming you're reasonably confident that the deck is okay, but you could try the deck without the phono stage as well - it'll just be quiet and a tiny bit tinny - but it might give you a feel for whether the problem lies there?

Just thoughts, hopefully somebody else will have a more useful suggestion to offer.

A

Anonymous

Oh and you got the phone stage set as moving magnet (mm) not moving coil (mc) or are using the appropriate inputs on it?

A

Anonymous

theres a phono stage on amp but ave read using a seperate phono stage improves sound.was going to invest in a newer phono stage if it would work,as far as i can see the nad pp1 only takes moving magnet.turntable works ok when connected 2 amps phono just ave 2 turn volume up quite a bit

A

Anonymous

Big post - sorry Thiaman :) (But please read and respond)

Not sure I can add much more to what I said already, but I've checked out the deck you have very very briefly - it's kind of old and I've never ever heard it in action - all third hand knowledge. While it's perfectly fine within its context - significantly better than the rubbish you'd likely get on top of your average midi-system - I'm not sure it warrants a significant outlay in an outboard phono-stage. From your original post I get the feeling you thought of the Nad as a stepping stone to check out the water for spending more on a phono stage - and I'm assuming you mean 50 quid or so. My gut feeling says that the 50 quid would be better spent by saving it and waiting a little longer and buying a new record deck - I'm sure that Andrew or Clare would be more than happy to suggest what. I believe the deck that you have originally sold for about 50-100 quid about 30 years ago. That makes it a real record deck, but a budget one.

Maybe... get your phono stage checked out in your local hi-fi shop - don't put it in for service - ask to listen to it with a budget deck (they should certainly be able to set it up correctly!). If the shop is worth spending money at they will indulge you a bit in the hope of future business - if they won't indulge you walk away and find somewhere else. You can help them a bit by trying to turn up off peak of course :)

But if it turns out there's a problem with the phono stage do not feel pressured to buy something right there and then. A decent shop will even let you take your own (AV) amp in, or provide a similar equivalent to check out some options. You really might find that spending 100-150 quid on a new deck yields greater results than spending it on a phono stage. And it might be worth waiting to save that money up if it's a big deal rather than spending 50 quid on a phono stage right now.

I don't know if all of what I've just said is likely to be what you want to hear. And I may be way off the mark, but I really wouldn't want to see you spend any more of your hard earned cash without getting some worthwhile results. The phono stage in your Yamaha amp will not be the best phono stage in the world for sure, but then unless you've got a seriously high end deck you don't actually need the best phono stage - I run my kind of serious record deck through the phono stage in my fairly modest integrated amp and while I'm completely sure I could get benefits from a seperate phono stage, I don't think it's even close to my next upgrade.

Andrew? Clare? Others? Please come in and save the original poster if I'm way off the mark. And if I'm not please suggest possible ways he might like to go forward.

Your comments would be welcome I'm sure.

A

Anonymous

thxs...thats anawered a few of my queries.does anyone know of a upgrade i can make to the cartridge or any other slight upgrade to the pioneer pl340 turntable to improve sound quality

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Given that the amp already has a perfectly good onboard phono stage, at least you can tell that the PP1 is faulty. I'd suggest that rather than spending £30 or so on a cartridge, you'd do better to save a bit and buy one of these

A

Anonymous

also.. would a dual cs505 mk2 turntable be an improvement on my pioneer.. i would like to add that my equipment has all been bought end of line etc so i would like to keep my budget low and thru experience i know it can be done

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
JImmy....long post but a good one mate. If I am a single guy without any young children I will have the LP12 in my system. If you never heard a deck in that class my advise is "DON'T" find out how good the sound is unless you willing to buy one. The sound will stick in your mind forever which causing many upgrade try to make your cd player sound as good as TT.....in fact Linn made a cd player that sound like LP12, call CD12.....and if you can afford one then you are not a married man with young children (and "love to spend" wife) anyway.

A

Anonymous

would the pro-ject genie be an improvement in my systems cause where i live getting a demo would be difficult

A

Anonymous

Thaiman - I am a married man with two children, and could never dream of buying a Sondek now. There was once a time, however, when I was single, and I got lucky and picked one up second hand for 200quid. It's had some money trickled into it over the years and might one day get a proper power supply, but it might have to wait until the little ones have left home (so about 30 years from now if current trends continue).

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jimwall"]when I was single, and I got lucky and picked one up second hand for 200quid.[/quote]

Jimmy, the best example I saw a while back would set you back nearly 2 grand!....it just too much effort (and money) to buy the whole music collection in big, horrible looking black disc! and my little daughter would have break the needle off as fast as you can say "stopped!" May be when I retired I could have one!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts