Question Turntables, grounding issues, hifi setup

Burroughs70

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
Good evening, guys, and thanks for accepting me in this forum.
A few days ago I decided to buy, after many, many years, a new turntable, so the Pro-Ject Primary E Phono was my choice.
The hi-fi setup in my living room is as follows:

- Naim Muso Qb (first generation);
- Schiit Magni (headphone amplifier).

Once all the connections were completed, I realised that the turntable was suffering from a very annoying humming (or grounding) issue, this because nor the Muso or the Schiit Magni have a screw to hang the earth cable on to.
As I don't want to return the item, that is working well, I was thinking to disable the phono stage on the Pro-Ject turntable, connect it to this phono stage and then connect the Edwards Apprentice to the Schiit Magni headphone amplifier.
This should be the scheme:

1) Pro-Ject Primary E Phono, from Line Output (2 RCA) to Edwards Apprentice Input (2 RCA);
2) Edwards Apprentice, from Output (2 RCA) to Schiit Magni Input (2 RCA).

In case I wanted to use the Muso speaker:
- From Edwards Output (2 RCA) to Muso Qb (3.5 mm. jacket).

Is everything correct, according to you???

Thank you very much.

Good evening, guys, and thanks for accepting me in this forum.
A few days ago I decided to buy, after many, many years, a new turntable, so the Pro-Ject Primary E Phono was my choice.
The hi-fi setup in my living room is as follows:

- Naim Muso Qb (first generation);
- Schiit Magni (headphone amplifier).

Once all the connections were completed, I realised that the turntable was suffering from a very annoying humming (or grounding) issue, this because nor the Muso or the Schiit Magni have a screw to hang the earth cable on to.
As I don't want to return the item, that is working well, I was thinking to disable the phono stage on the Pro-Ject turntable, connect it to this phono stage and then connect the Edwards Apprentice to the Schiit Magni headphone amplifier.
This should be the scheme:

1) Pro-Ject Primary E Phono, from Line Output (2 RCA) to Edwards Apprentice Input (2 RCA);

In case I wanted to use the Muso speaker:
- From Edwards Output (2 RCA) to Muso Qb (3.5 mm. jacket).

Is everything correct, according to you???

Thank you very much.
Welcome to the forum.
It's an odd set-up but your planned connections appear to be sound.

Reactions: Burroughs70

Gray

.....This should be the scheme:

As you probably know, with the turntable's preamp bypassed there won't be a line output.
You will be connecting the cartridge direct to the Apprentice.

Burroughs70

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
Sorry, Gray, I didn't get...
Do you think that by disabling the Phono Out feature I won't be able to connect the table to the external phono stage?
I just want to be sure before spending more money.
Anyway, this is the switch:

Attachments

• pjt-prim-e-phon-blk_l_2.jpg
    pjt-prim-e-phon-blk_l_2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 2

Gray

Sorry, Gray, I didn't get...
Do you think that by disabling the Phono Out feature I won't be able to connect the table to the external phono stage?
I just want to be sure before spending more money.
Anyway, this is the switch:
'Phono out' is where you want the switch to be.
This means that the cartridge will connect directly to the input of the Apprentice.......which is just what you want in your application.
(Note that line out is the output from the turntable's built-in amplifier. You must not use that in your intended setup).

Reactions: Burroughs70
Missed that, Gray is correct.
If you are using a separate phono Preamp like the Apprentice the switch needs to be in the 'Phono' position.

The 'Line' setting is where the output of the cartridge has already been amplified to line-level by the turntables built in phono preamp.

Reactions: Gray

Burroughs70

Sep 12, 2020
Visit site
A brief update, guys: my Edwards Apprentice MM phono-stage has just arrived so I've gone on with my testing.
The audio quality now is good but there's a very annoying hissing, especially on the right channel.
Honestly speaking, the turntable is located very near a lots of other devices, like a fridge, a decoder and other stuff but I'm not quite sure how all of this may affect its way of working...
Any ideas???

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts