Turntable

Natalie

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
[font="ProximaNova-Semibold, arial, verdana, sans-serif"]Hi, my 19yr old son has asked for a turntable for Christmas, he has just started collecting vinyl. I don't really want to spend over £200, but I have no idea what I'm looking for on the internet.. please help! [/font]

Natalie

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Natalie said:
Hi, my 19yr old son has asked for a turntable for Christmas, he has just started collecting vinyl. I don't really want to spend over £200, but I have no idea what I'm looking for on the internet.. please help!

As Steve asks, it is important to know you are buying the appropriate product. Some turntables come complete with special amplifiers. I've no recent experience with budget models, but these reviews are up to date (link below).

It isn't quite such a surprise, but if he is well read on the subject, maybe he should do the choosing, while you set the budget?

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi/best-budget-turntables

Natalie

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Yes and we have speakers, want something will good sound that doesn't look plastic/cheap... I don't understand all the jargon, just want something to plug into speakers.. Thanks

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Natalie what is the make / models of speakers and amplifier ??

We need to know this so we can suggest the way to go - what is the reason you son wants a turntable ? I presume he has just started collecting records due to the recent popularity in the format.

it would be helpful to give as much info as possible as it's quite difficult to get good results from vinyl at this end of your budget - this could leave him very disappointed with the experience

Natalie

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Ok.. The speakers are Technics , 3way direct drive speaker system ( actually my old hi if system that I haven't used for years) it's a technics RSI-HDA710

His amp is one he uses for his guitar, it's a Ashton .. As I said I have no idea about any of this.. Need help badly!!!

Natalie

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I've been looking at the pro-ject essential II I see it won best turntable and its within budget and looks smart not cheap.. Sorry for the ignorance, but in not sure whether it plugs straight into speakers.. Totally lost!! .. Any thoughts on this model? .. Thank you in advance

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Ok it looks like it has an input ( red/white ) for DVD or MD ? If so then you will have to buy a phono stage which amplifies the signal from the turntable up to the sane level as - say, a CD player.

These start at about £80 for decent one a anything less then it's not worth buying a turntable as the results will be poor.

you will be able to use your existing technics system & speakers but the result are going to be quite average but it can be done.

Sadly a vinyl system cannot be done on the cheap - the turntable you mention would be ok as would the budget Rega decks, it can be done but the results will not do those turntables justice.

i feel you need to triple the budget and buy a dedicated 2 channel amp & dedicated speakers - not speakers from a midi system.

Natalie

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Ok, thank you so much for your help! .. You have cleared up a lot of questions for me.. If I start from scratch, which system would you recommend? My son is very into his music and I don't want to buy something he won't use because the sound is poor.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The heart of a nice system is the amp

maybe something like a Marantz PM6005 - seen them for £179 this has a built in phono stage

for speakers something like Dali Zensor for £159

my advice is go to your local Richer sounds or Super-fi and talk to them and listen to some budget amps and speakers rather than but online

coops

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Would you be interested in 2nd hand equipment? If so and you stay anywhere near Glasgow then I have a 1 year old Project Essential II turntable that I am about to sell.

That's good advice.

go see some budget turntables in action, with a budget amp and speakers.

you may find you need to buy more than you were initially thinking.

Richer sounds often have reduced items for sale on their website, it may be worth looking through their bargains, once you know what you are looking for.

200 quid is a very tight budget but with a bit of luck, you may just get your son up and running.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Without patronising the OP - a vinyl system cannot be done 'cheaply'

£200 is the minimum on a turntable

Rega Planar 2 with the Carbon Cartridge is where I would go at £249

Hi Natalie..this is probably going to be a bit daunting for you.....If you can go online and go to richersounds. com ......scroll down to systems .......hi-fi systems....hi-fi system deals.....view all ..and then scroll down until you come across systems with the turntable,amplifier and speakers....there are some savings to be had but are still well over your original £200 budget,but does give some pointers as to what you should be looking for....amplifiers from marantz,onkyo,....speakers from Q acoustics,wharferdale,dali and the pro-ject,rega or audio technica turntables,should put you on the right track....and please don't connect the electric guitar to the hi-fi system.lol.

D

Deleted member 108165

Yeah, I know i lambaste them but I'll offer a curved ball option, how about:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATLP120USBC-Turntable-Black/dp/B00RYVUZEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479771449&sr=8-1&keywords=atlp120

Has a built-in phono stage and sounds reasonable. If you shop around can be had for as little as £230. Not the be-all and end-all in hi-fi but it's a start.

Really need to talk this over with your son as it's gonna be his turntable *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts