Turntable Upgrade - The Concept of Rega

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Canguino Purlat

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I've seen a new Planar 3 in gloss white, here in Barcelona. Playing Neil Young's "Prairie Wind". Awesome looking, nice sounding. Tempted by price drop of the old RP3, but still too much for me...

NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
paul darwin said:
Given that we have not yet sent any of the new Planar 3 turntables to our dealers or distributors worldwide, and therefore you could not have listened to one, I am not sure how you can be so certain that it will not offer any improvement over the Project

I'm not fluent in the english language, but "not that much of an improvement" and "not at all" seems two different meanings for me. I hope a Shakespearian will help me out there, but I believe it's the word I choose and wrote down. And I was speaking about the RP3, that was sent to your dealers because, effectively, you have not sent any of those new panars to your clients for the moment. So, if a forum member ask about the actual Rega 3, we know, we could only speak about the RP3.

paul darwin said:
and the Clearaudio is 0.65% does that not mean that the RP3 is over 5 times better and not "clearly inferior" as you suggest.

You are absolutely right. This was a tiping error. I wanted to tip 0.065%. Thank you for that, I will edit my post.

paul darwin said:
...and also provide the measurements you quote.

You are welcome.

Rega RP3 without TTPSU

Gleichlaufton = synchronisation tone

Speed variations vs time

rumble

And RP3 with TTPSU

Mesures are property of the "WEKA Verlag" and are used for educational purpose only.

paul darwin said:
I would hope and encourage everyone to be free to compare all available turntables and make their choice on the basis of what sounds best to them.

And I can't agree more with you.
Interesting graphs, which I believe show the typical Rega practice of running a little fast. Never sure if they slow down with age, or if this is to make them sound more lively. Does anyone know?

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that (barring any delivery issues) all UK dealers will have the new Planar 3 by tomorrow Thuirsday 14th April, on schedule.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
+1 for me, too, TSP. Most unlikely to want to change, but I'd like the opportunity to do a B2B with the RP3, at the dealers. Have to take some vinyl to be cleaned.

Have to make an appointment, methinks, but one of the benefits of retirement is flexibility (but not in my joints)

friendly_ghost said:
Nopiano, just as a matter of interest as I would like to audition a Tecnodec. What tonearm and cart do you use with yours?

Looking at his signature it is an older Rega, I am guessing an RB250 but it's only a guess, along with some sort of Grado cartridge (cannot remember which one). Perhaps he will respond later to clear things up.

Al ears said:
friendly_ghost said:
Nopiano, just as a matter of interest as I would like to audition a Tecnodec. What tonearm and cart do you use with yours?

Looking at his signature it is an older Rega, I am guessing an RB250 but it's only a guess, along with some sort of Grado cartridge (cannot remember which one). Perhaps he will respond later to clear things up.
Much later, as I'd not seen this thread for a while - sorry!

Yes, as Al guessed, it's a standard Rega RB250 arm I believe. It's currently fitted with a Grado Black1, their most modest cartridge, which the supplying dealer (from Devon) had fitted as a demo. It's remarkably good for not much money, though on the mellow side of neutral. I've a new Shure M97xe awaiting fitting, and am also tempted to remove an old Goldring 1006 from an old Dual turntable, and update it with a 1042 stylus, as it has a decent sound.

If you can afford it, try a TecnoArm, which is a heavily modified Rega and allegedly very good.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
A very good alternative to the Rega arm is the Origin live arms, The Alliance at arround £250 and the Silver at arround £650.

They are not modified Rega arms as such although the design is a nod in that direction and the Alliance got an award for excellence. However, your going to be hard pushed to get a better performance than the new Planar 3 for similar money or even more and the new Rega arm will easily accomodate much more expensive cartridges which IMHO is the area you get the best up grade in sound. Don't forget, the further you go up the turntable ladder the old deminishing return kicks in and its only your ears and pocket that will decide for you. At whatever point you reach is where you should start listening to the music not the componants.

Pete

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
BigH,

Not really wanting to contradict but Rega is not available at HiFi Corner, our dealers in Scotland are Loud and Clear Edinburgh and Glasgow, Glasgow Audio, James Morrow in Edinburgh, Holburn HiFi In Aberdeen and Robert Ritchie in Montrose. All of whom can demonstrate the range of Rega turntables.

PD

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
paul darwin said:
BigH,

Not really wanting to contradict but Rega is not available at HiFi Corner, our dealers in Scotland are Loud and Clear Edinburgh and Glasgow, Glasgow Audio, James Morrow in Edinburgh, Holburn HiFi In Aberdeen and Robert Ritchie in Montrose. All of whom can demonstrate the range of Rega turntables.

PD

Ahh, Mr Darwin, glad I caught you. Can you please indicate whether or not there is to be a Planar 6? I promise I won't tell *biggrin*

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks nopiano! Just seen tour response and once I gind a job again after our recent trip, I'll start auditioning some turntable. Now at least I know the combo with RB250 is decent. Thanks!
Would you feel an upgrade to a higher up Grado cart is worth it or are other manufacturers a better fit?

friendly_ghost said:
Thanks nopiano! Just seen tour response and once I gind a job again after our recent trip, I'll start auditioning some turntable. Now at least I know the combo with RB250 is decent. Thanks! Would you feel an upgrade to a higher up Grado cart is worth it or are other manufacturers a better fit?
If you can audition any Grado it's worth a listen. They have a family sound and the arm will cope with them all. They come in pairs - not two in a box - but adjacent models have hand-picked superior versions. That said, I personally think their lower-cost ones are the best value, hence I'd consider the Shure M97xe, or Goldring 1000 series, maybe Denon 110 or 103 (moving coil step-up needed, and arm probably needs some added mass too) and others if budget permitted. Others favour Nagaoka, but I've tended to find them a bit bland in the past, though the engineering is excellent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts