Turntable up to 600£

ganjor86

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello. I'm new on the forum and i hope that I will spend here a lot of time. I wan't to buy a turntable to my HI-FI CXA60+651p and I will buy a new speakers but not now. I like to listening a jazz and roots reggae. I need a turntable with cover becouse I hawe a cat... TT must hawe wery precision sound, wide scene without eany dominate of low or hihg tones. I think about project xpression 1 but i'm not shure is this will be a good choice. Debut carbon with new better signal cable and stylus bronze will be better ?

ganjor86 said:
Hello. I'm new on the forum and i hope that I will spend here a lot of time. I wan't to buy a turntable to my HI-FI CXA60+651p and I will buy a new speakers but not now. I like to listening a jazz and roots reggae. I need a turntable with cover becouse I hawe a cat... TT must hawe wery precision sound, wide scene without eany dominate of low or hihg tones. I think about project xpression 1 but i'm not shure is this will be a good choice. Debut carbon with new better signal cable and stylus bronze will be better ?

You bought the wrong amp if you want to connect a turntable. You are going to have to budget for a phono preamp as well.

The 651p you listed in your question is your phono preamp, by Cambridge, so I think your post was misread by the two contributors above. Project make a huge, and for me rather confusing, range. I'm delighted with my Michell TecnoDec which I got for around £600 as an exdem model. With arm and cartridge it is nearer £1000 now.

At your budget, however, the obvious choice is the new Rega Planar 3.

http://www.whathifi.com/rega/planar-3elys-2/review

Welcome to the forum!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Pro-ject or Rega RP3 I would be considering. The RP3 is £550 but you will need a cartridge, you can buy with ethe Rega cart for £625 but I would look for a better one. Try to hear both and then decide.

Apologies, I missed the 651p bit and am totally out of line, must change my spectacles.

The Debut Carbon is the better bet unless you go second-hand or can listen to the new Planar 3. I haven't heard it yet, but again buy it without the usual entry level cartridge.

ganjor86

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
So 651p with CXA60 is OK ? I hawe AT95e in my old turntable (old polish unitra g8010) is it enough for start with RP3 ? And why RP3 ? RP3 hawe cover in standard ?

ganjor86

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
On polish forum someonesomeone was write that projeproject 5.1 is much better than RP3 and I dont now what to think aboabout this.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ganjor86 said:
So 651p with CXA60 is OK ? I hawe AT95e in my old turntable (old polish unitra g8010) is it enough for start with RP3 ? And why RP3 ? RP3 hawe cover in standard ?

The AT95e is a very budget cart, I would be looking for something a bit better than that. Yes it has dustcover. Is he talking about the new Rega Plannar 3? The Project 5.1 does not have a dust cover.

BigH said:
ganjor86 said:

The AT95e is a very budget cart, I would be looking for something a bit better than that. Yes it has dustcover. Is he talking about the new Rega Plannar 3? The Project 5.1 does not have a dust cover.

Agree, if a lid is essential then Rega wins, the AT95 doesn't.

ganjor86

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
No but in month I will save money for new cartridge, about 300£. I dont now eany place where I could to listen good audio in Leicester so it's a problem. In richersounds everything is for special order and if they will order somethink i will hawe to buy it... its like a buing a car without a test drive :(

ganjor86 said:
No but in month I will save money for new cartridge, about 300£. I dont now eany place where I could to listen good audio in Leicester so it's a problem. In richersounds everything is for special order and if they will order somethink i will hawe to buy it... its like a buing a car without a test drive :(

Then don't buy it there. It is unfortunate that cartridges are the hardest things to get to audition when they actually make the biggest difference to a turntable system. My advice would be to buy the deck without one fitted. You don't need to spend much more on the turntable with cartridge fitted option to get a lot of improvement.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Cymbiosis are a Rega dealer however they moved out of the city centre last year and are located in a rural location now - Rearsby - about 6/7 miles north of the city.

Ask for Wayne he's a helpful chap and enthusiastic

stevebrock said:
ganjor86 said:
P3 is a new version of RP3 or it's somethink diferent ?

As Al Ears says !

IMO its the best Planar 3 to date - looks great great arm glossy plinth - for £550 cant beat it - easy to set up too

Although I have not yet heard it, or indeed seen it in the flesh, if the development is as good as they say and the tonearm has also been upgraded and improved, I would say it's a snip at the price ( ex original Planar 3 / RB300 owner talking here :) )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts