Turntable up to 600£

ganjor86

Jun 6, 2016
Hello. I'm new on the forum and i hope that I will spend here a lot of time. I wan't to buy a turntable to my HI-FI CXA60+651p and I will buy a new speakers but not now. I like to listening a jazz and roots reggae. I need a turntable with cover becouse I hawe a cat... TT must hawe wery precision sound, wide scene without eany dominate of low or hihg tones. I think about project xpression 1 but i'm not shure is this will be a good choice. Debut carbon with new better signal cable and stylus bronze will be better ?

ganjor86 said:
Hello. I'm new on the forum and i hope that I will spend here a lot of time. I wan't to buy a turntable to my HI-FI CXA60+651p and I will buy a new speakers but not now. I like to listening a jazz and roots reggae. I need a turntable with cover becouse I hawe a cat... TT must hawe wery precision sound, wide scene without eany dominate of low or hihg tones. I think about project xpression 1 but i'm not shure is this will be a good choice. Debut carbon with new better signal cable and stylus bronze will be better ?
You bought the wrong amp if you want to connect a turntable. You are going to have to budget for a phono preamp as well.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Al ears said:
You bought the wrong amp if you want to connect a turntable. You are going to have to budget for a phono preamp as well.
Or get a turntable with built in phono preamp like the Project Debut Phono...

nopiano

The 651p you listed in your question is your phono preamp, by Cambridge, so I think your post was misread by the two contributors above. Project make a huge, and for me rather confusing, range. I'm delighted with my Michell TecnoDec which I got for around £600 as an exdem model. With arm and cartridge it is nearer £1000 now.

At your budget, however, the obvious choice is the new Rega Planar 3.

http://www.whathifi.com/rega/planar-3elys-2/review

Welcome to the forum!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Pro-ject or Rega RP3 I would be considering. The RP3 is £550 but you will need a cartridge, you can buy with ethe Rega cart for £625 but I would look for a better one. Try to hear both and then decide.

Apologies, I missed the 651p bit and am totally out of line, must change my spectacles.

The Debut Carbon is the better bet unless you go second-hand or can listen to the new Planar 3. I haven't heard it yet, but again buy it without the usual entry level cartridge.

ganjor86

Jun 6, 2016
So 651p with CXA60 is OK ? I hawe AT95e in my old turntable (old polish unitra g8010) is it enough for start with RP3 ? And why RP3 ? RP3 hawe cover in standard ?

ganjor86

Jun 6, 2016
On polish forum someonesomeone was write that projeproject 5.1 is much better than RP3 and I dont now what to think aboabout this.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
ganjor86 said:
So 651p with CXA60 is OK ? I hawe AT95e in my old turntable (old polish unitra g8010) is it enough for start with RP3 ? And why RP3 ? RP3 hawe cover in standard ?
The AT95e is a very budget cart, I would be looking for something a bit better than that. Yes it has dustcover. Is he talking about the new Rega Plannar 3? The Project 5.1 does not have a dust cover.

BigH said:
ganjor86 said:
The AT95e is a very budget cart, I would be looking for something a bit better than that. Yes it has dustcover. Is he talking about the new Rega Plannar 3? The Project 5.1 does not have a dust cover.
Agree, if a lid is essential then Rega wins, the AT95 doesn't.

ganjor86

Jun 6, 2016
I will use AT95e until I will buy new cartridge now i don't now what to buy. And is RP3 is the best for this money.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
ganjor86 said:
I will use AT95e until I will buy new cartridge now i don't now what to buy. And is RP3 is the best for this money.
Depends on your taste and what the prices are.

Can you hear them both together?

ganjor86

Jun 6, 2016
No but in month I will save money for new cartridge, about 300£. I dont now eany place where I could to listen good audio in Leicester so it's a problem. In richersounds everything is for special order and if they will order somethink i will hawe to buy it... its like a buing a car without a test drive :(

ganjor86 said:
No but in month I will save money for new cartridge, about 300£. I dont now eany place where I could to listen good audio in Leicester so it's a problem. In richersounds everything is for special order and if they will order somethink i will hawe to buy it... its like a buing a car without a test drive :(
Then don't buy it there. It is unfortunate that cartridges are the hardest things to get to audition when they actually make the biggest difference to a turntable system. My advice would be to buy the deck without one fitted. You don't need to spend much more on the turntable with cartridge fitted option to get a lot of improvement.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Cymbiosis are a Rega dealer however they moved out of the city centre last year and are located in a rural location now - Rearsby - about 6/7 miles north of the city.

Ask for Wayne he's a helpful chap and enthusiastic

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
ganjor86 said:
P3 is a new version of RP3 or it's somethink diferent ?
As Al Ears says !

IMO its the best Planar 3 to date - looks great great arm glossy plinth - for £550 cant beat it - easy to set up too

stevebrock said:
ganjor86 said:
P3 is a new version of RP3 or it's somethink diferent ?
As Al Ears says !

IMO its the best Planar 3 to date - looks great great arm glossy plinth - for £550 cant beat it - easy to set up too
Although I have not yet heard it, or indeed seen it in the flesh, if the development is as good as they say and the tonearm has also been upgraded and improved, I would say it's a snip at the price ( ex original Planar 3 / RB300 owner talking here :) )

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts