Turntable: Technics 1500C or 1200GR or Pro-ject Debut Pro

lmlmlm

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
I have been piling up on LP's for a while, but never actually played any of them yet. All vinyls are still in their plastic wraps.

Meanwhile, I've been preparing for the gear acquisition and looking at the models mentioned in the subject :
  • 1500C seems the easiest to play with, with the pickup and phono included. however not sure about the sound quality versus the others listed, also seeing this video showing platter wobble gave me second thoughts . However I am still hopelessly attracted to the minimal design of the 1500C and that it needs less wires and objects to deal with.
  • 1210GR is the "cool" option, but gets more expensive with adding a separate pickup (possibly blue ortofon) and a separate phono
  • now, the Pro-ject Debut Pro really got me thinking after watching Darko's video comparing Pro-ject Debut Pro with the 1210GR, concluding the Debut sound quality and usability is better in many ways versus the 1210GR. Yes, I would still buy a separate phono for the Pro-ject, but it comes with a good pickup included and ultimately adds up to less dollars than the 1210GR setup.
  • also have been looking at the more expensive Pro-ject X2
Ultimately, my aim is for the best possible sound quality out of these, so the questions are :
  • Should I worry about the Pro-jects being belt driven ? Does the belt need any special maintenance ? Not sure why some people seem to avoid belt drives.
  • Should the Pro-ject Phono Box be sufficient for the Pro-ject Debut Pro or X2 ?
  • Is the wobble shown in the 1500C video a concern ? Is that normal ? Should I return a 1500C if it wobbles like that ?
thanks

Last edited:

abacus

Type of drive is irrelevant (All types have their pros and cons) so just go to a dealer and try them out with the cartridge you like, and see which you prefer. (No one other than you can make this decision)

As to the video of the 1500 it does seem iffy if new, but if it has had heavy use than bearings do wear out. (You would need a video filmed from above to see what the centre of the platter is doing to be sure of what is going on)

Bill

Reactions: lmlmlm

lmlmlm

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
I looked at some SH 1200's and contacted the sellers, local ads. But I don't know anything about TT's and don't like buying SH when I have no idea what the pitfalls are. I heard some DJ's are modifying their TT's and then run them like crazy on gigs, then they sell them as SH.

Yes, also some local shops already have the 100C available.

Last edited:

lmlmlm

Jan 9, 2021
Visit site
What do you guys think this person means, in the Amazon review below ? Does the volume have anything to do with the actual turntable ?

This Technics SL-100C Direct Drive turntable System works very well ....

Important Note: If you don't hear anything, you should try turning up the volume.

For example, I never use my radio at its maximum because it makes too much noise and it can disturb the neighbours. With this turntable I have to turn the volume up to maximum just to be able to enjoy the music.

Apart from the volume issue, this is 5 stars.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts