Turntable repairs London

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for some help with finding and fixing an earth hum problem. My turntable is a Pink Triangle LPT VX with a Funk Firm FXR tonearm. I use it with a Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage. Very occasionally I get an earth hum problem when I turn on my Arcam amp. Sometimes a jiggle of the earth wire (which screws to the rear of the phono stage) fixes it. Sometimes it needs more than a jiggle; unscrewing and screwing back, giving the wire a shake... I guess the fault could be: the earthing post on the phono stage, the turntable end of things, the tonearm wiring, a fault in the earth wire itself. I'd like to have it looked at and tested by someone who knows their stuff. Any suggestions for turntable repairs in or around (east) London?

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
OK, thx. Like I said, this is a very occasional issue, a lot of the time there's no problem. But I've noticed it can happen when I touch or shift the phono stage, so I assumed the problem could be caused by slight movement of the earth wire. I'd still be interested in finding a turntable boffin in my area though, if anyone knows of one.

Cannot help you there but other hifi publications list repair people in the back pages.
Just thinking that your tonearm is a heavily modified Rega arm and they might have done what Rega do and the earth is taken through the left negative cartridge wire so by connecting to the phono preamp you are in fact doubling the earths.
Hope this helps

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I tried the Graham Slee phono stage on their loan scheme and had a night and day moment. It's a well-worn cliche but suddenly I was rediscovering my record collection and hearing stuff I'd never heard before. More of everything - soundstage, detail, bass, blah blah blah. The Reflex M took listening to another level.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts