Chrisb6kl

Nov 9, 2020
Visit site
Hallo everyone,
Just wanted to share my thoughts on my set up.

I am currently running a Marantz PM 6006 uk with Dali Oberon speakers / qed reference xt cables which is be frankly quite nice.

As my old turntable has gone out of service I am looking into purchasing / upgrading to a new one.

As you can understand in terms of budget, I am around to get Rega Plannar 2 or Pro ject Debut Carbon.

As I was searching and reading review when i came across Yamaha Music cast turntable.

I can understand that maybe in terms of sound will not be the same as the 2 mentioned above but I would like to get your opinion in the Bluetooth receiver function the Yamaha has.
I mean as many music files have been to digital format I can think of buying one of the two Rega or Pro ject + a BT receiver or should I squeeze everything into the Yamaha turntable?

Sorry for the long post.

Please share your thoughts freely.

Thank you!

Chrisb6kl

Nov 9, 2020
Visit site
thanks for your reply.
I will double check on that with the Yamaha turntable.

Bluettoth is needed as i sometimes stream music from other digital sources

camcroft

The turntable will only stream to other devices.....
I think that the concept of Bluetooth is misunderstood by many of what you can do with it. On another forum a guy bought a BT turntable and cant understand why his Bluetooth 4.2 headphones cant connect to his turntable which has Apt x and that his wired headphones cant connect to the Bluetooth.

Reactions: Al ears
I think that the concept of Bluetooth is misunderstood by many of what you can do with it. On another forum a guy bought a BT turntable and cant understand why his Bluetooth 4.2 headphones cant connect to his turntable which has Apt x and that his wired headphones cant connect to the Bluetooth.
I believe many think it is always bi-directional.
All I can say if you can hardwire it then hardwire it........

Vincent Kars

Yamaha Music cast turntable
If this is about the vinyl 500

It is basically a record player with a build in computer.
You connect it to your amp wired.
You can use the 500 to play records but also streaming audio services, DLNA, Airplay and BT.
You simply pair your phone with the 500 and it will play what the phone send to it.
BT is lossy compression (320 kbs using SBC)
Better use the network connection as it is lossless.

If this is about the vinyl 500

It is basically a record player with a build in computer.
You connect it to your amp wired.
You can use the 500 to play records but also streaming audio services, DLNA, Airplay and BT.
You simply pair your phone with the 500 and it will play what the phone send to it.
BT is lossy compression (320 kbs using SBC)
Better use the network connection as it is lossless.
Best avoided then...... :)

Chrisb6kl

Nov 9, 2020
Visit site
Thank you all for the fruitfull discussion.

will avoid aferall these thoughts..

So its down to planar 2 or debut carbon then..

Or if any have eny other suggestions fee free to recommend.

Shadowfax

Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Hallo everyone,
Just wanted to share my thoughts on my set up.

I am currently running a Marantz PM 6006 uk with Dali Oberon speakers / qed reference xt cables which is be frankly quite nice.

As my old turntable has gone out of service I am looking into purchasing / upgrading to a new one.

As you can understand in terms of budget, I am around to get Rega Plannar 2 or Pro ject Debut Carbon.

As I was searching and reading review when i came across Yamaha Music cast turntable.

I can understand that maybe in terms of sound will not be the same as the 2 mentioned above but I would like to get your opinion in the Bluetooth receiver function the Yamaha has.
I mean as many music files have been to digital format I can think of buying one of the two Rega or Pro ject + a BT receiver or should I squeeze everything into the Yamaha turntable?

Sorry for the long post.

Please share your thoughts freely.

Thank you!

I think you answered your own question, and we totally agree. The Rega P2 will sound much better than the Proj-ect, and sound is indeed what we buy all this gear for, no?

Shadowfax

Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I still think the Debut Carbon is the better deck even though it has an Ortofon 2M Red fitted..... that is still better than the Rega Carbon cartridge and it is the cartridge that mainly determines a turntables 'sound'.

Having sold both brands in the store I was fortunate enough to own for a number of years I have a handle on how many "unblind" tests will support the Rega, as well as how many of which come back with defects or complaints. Personally, I wouldn't own either one, but I had to have one or the other it would be the Rega. Blind tests? BS.

Having sold both brands in the store I was fortunate enough to own for a number of years I have a handle on how many "unblind" tests will support the Rega, as well as how many of which come back with defects or complaints. Personally, I wouldn't own either one, but I had to have one or the other it would be the Rega. Blind tests? BS.
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.
I wouldn't own either one either.
If you are still a dealer it is a good idea to post this fact within your signature..... I take it you are no longer?

iMark

One thing to look out for in different record players is the (electronic) speed change switch. AFAIK Rega don't do them. Many ProJect turntables however do have one. We own a ProJect Xpression III Comfort with a speed change switch. Really convenient.

Reactions: Al ears
One thing to look out for in different record players is the (electronic) speed change switch. AFAIK Rega don't do them. Many ProJect turntables however do have one. We own a ProJect Xpression III Comfort with a speed change switch. Really convenient.
The idea that you change speeds by removing the platter and moving the belt onto a different part of the pulley is pretty archaic.
One of my major issues with Rega decks is that they are primative.
Yes they tend to have good tonearms but that's about it.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts