Turn your iPad / iPhone / Android phone into the best remote in the house!!

Logitech have just announced Harmony Link which available for pre-order in the US for $99.99! This will enable you to use your iPad / iPhone / Android phone as a remote.

iPad feature is especially cool. Harmony Link and the Harmony Link App turn your iPad into the smartest remote in the house. Just select a show from the personalized, in-app TV listings on your iPad and tune to shows with one touch.

Any news on UK release yet?

logitech-harmony-link-600.jpg

Logitech-Harmony-Link-thumb-650x421-31797.jpg

A

Anonymous

Looks cool BB, but I've just got rid of my redeye and replaced with a Harmony 1100, as the lag for it to boot into the app, if you where doing something else with the device was getting to annoying for my wife. I wonder if this would be the same.

This has to be the killer feature (only works with the iPad) :)

Logitech may have shot itself in the foot with this product. While the sales of this product will surge, rest of the Harmony remotes' sales will drop significantly, especially the 1100 (just like Sonos controller).

But then, this is the future. And Logitech did well to come in early to eat into the market. Every iPad user will want one! And there are millions out there!!

markjaspi said:
Looks cool BB, but I've just got rid of my redeye and replaced with a Harmony 1100, as the lag for it to boot into the app, if you where doing something else with the device was getting to annoying for my wife. I wonder if this would be the same.

Logitech has been successful with the PS3 remote. We'll have to wait for the reviews to see if there's a lag or not.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
It certainly does look good and will no doubt be popular. I used to use a Philips Pronto and the two handed approach was a pain to be honest. I much a one handed remote with buttons and a dedicated re-charging dock. In the end, a remote is a tool used to change channels/alter volume/select tracks etc. etc. and not spend an age gawping at screens swishing between modes for the sake of it. I haven't bought a tablet (yet) and don't know if I will as I can't justify it but they do seem to be getting more and more appealing as time goes by.

scene

bigboss said:

One touch Eastenders for Mrs. Scene - she'll love it :roll:

Logitech may have shot itself in the foot with this product. While the sales of this product will surge, rest of the Harmony remotes' sales will drop significantly, especially the 1100(just like Sonos controller).

Yes, this could be an issue - but there are a lot of people there who don't have iPads and an 1100 is £225, whereas a basic iPad + Link's going to be £350-4000...

But then, this is the future. And Logitech did well to come in early to eat into the market. Every iPad user will want one! And there are millions out there!!

Agreed! I'm definitely thinking about this one... :bounce:

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I don't think that it would be a sucess.

I think that for an iPhone, the screen will be too small (if you consider how big the average remote is, and the number of buttons it has), with most people having 2-3 remotes (and people on this forum possibly double those numbers). I just don't see how they'll be able to get the usability required.

An IPad will have the screen space, but I'd say that it's not the form that people would want for controlling their TV (etc). It'd be interesting to see sales figures for the large remotes (e.g. Logitech 1100) - I'd imagine the number would be insignificant compared to more traditional remotes.

I don't think cool looks are enough to guarantee a sucesss.

Shame tho, because I'd love a really good remote that could control all my devices, but I think it'll need mind control. Of couse, I could be completely wrong and it turns out to be fabulous.

PS: And will it do macros? :)

Paul.

bigboss said:
This has to be the killer feature (only works with the iPad) :)

Logitech may have shot itself in the foot with this product. While the sales of this product will surge, rest of the Harmony remotes' sales will drop significantly, especially the 1100 (just like Sonos controller).

According to Logitechs last quarterly financials, the remotes are struggling anyway. Mayby Redeye were stealing their lunch?

I wish this came out a month or two ago. I Bought a Redeye, thought it was not so hot, returned it same day and bought a Harmony One. This sounds ideal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts