I seek... the ultimate UI for playing your music/media: kinda Sooloos without the price tag

superchiwawa

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a streamlined, sleak touchscreen solution to play my media - music especially - stored on my htpc. Side options could include browsing photos, maybe videos, display widget stuff like weather, news, whatever is useful/nice to have.

Now the tricky bit: having used Apple stuff for many years, I'm picky about interfaces. Basically it's down to enjoying your music and not have to hassle with some average GUI. It does after all make a world of difference - after many years of tweaking with various semi-solutions incl xbmc plex boxee sqeezecenter... I just want something that just works, AND is a joy to use.

I currently use my TV as my main display, but I got to admit it's rather cumbersome. If I wanna play a song, I gotta switch on a big screen pick up (find) keyboard pick up (find also) mouse sit on sofa in front of screen balance keyboard on lap, fight the cat, clear a useable space for the mouse open itunes pick song/artist whatever, and changing tunes is the same thing all over. I'd like to be able to just walk up to a device, instant power on, browse (rediscover) my music - artwork plays a big part here - through artist genre etc with the flexibilty itunes gives you incl enqueue etc- hit play and go about my business. The backend - whatever the kind - has to be invisible.

I've looked into remotes, android iphone/phone interfaces squeezebox server, but nothing really fits the bill. The closest example I've come across is the Sooloos Control 15, but I don't need the built in computer hw , the design is clunky IMO, and the price tag is well, oooouuch!

So, what have you guys come up with or have any ideas, that could fit the bill ?

Current considerations include:

- Touchscreen, capacitive (those resistive things are horrible - it's all about reactivity), but then it's down to the right software. And I'd rather avoid windows for obvious reasons (viruses/stability etc). I currently run a hackintosh so that opens up a few options box wise (passively cooled with choice of hw and graphics - for a fully near zero tweaking necessary check out projectq if u're into that kinda thing)

- Ipad on a stand - which media center app? apple remote? MPD? I'd like ideally to just to be able touch the screen/hit a button, it lights up bam straight to my music/frontend, pick what i want, no limitations, and enjoy sweet rockin sounds, no delay (thinking of you itunes remote - wait to connect - lost connection - connecting - browse). Same goes for android phone remote => wake phone, wait for wifi to connect - open app -> browse in a different manner - where's the song list/ my compilations are listed differently etc etc)

- Some other standalone option - UI style sooloos / Olive One (close - but I think the angle of the device is wrong for comfortable use - why shoud you be staring down at something?) without the internals ...on the cheap basically

Yeah I know I'm a bit of a dreamer... help? :p :pray:

Cheers

S.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
What about a Sonos with an iPad or an Android tablet? I love its UI.

Beat me to it.

A big +1

If mainly for music, I'd go for the iPad mini. Any reason you don't want to use iTunes? That would be a doddle and not need the Sonos.

Edit: or another small Android tablet that has the 'remote' app available.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd say xbmc if you want it cross platform. You can run it on a jailbroken apple tv2 if that's your thing, or you can just get a low powered pc you leave on all the time of have set to sleep. You can get remotes for ios and android and it works with those remotes how you describe you want it to.

I know you've said you've tried it, but maybe you just didn't set it up right as it does everything on your want list.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
I'd say xbmc if you want it cross platform. You can run it on a jailbroken apple tv2 if that's your thing, or you can just get a low powered pc you leave on all the time of have set to sleep. You can get remotes for ios and android and it works with those remotes how you describe you want it to.

I know you've said you've tried it, but maybe you just didn't set it up right as it does everything on your want list.

I think the OP wants a turnkey solution.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
cheeseboy said:

the op asks for a lot. XBMC is probably the only thing that will do it. If they already have a HTPC, it's not really an issue. look here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.leetzone.android.yatsewidgetfree

cheeseboy said:
Overdose said:
cheeseboy said:

the op asks for a lot. XBMC is probably the only thing that will do it. If they already have a HTPC, it's not really an issue. look here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.leetzone.android.yatsewidgetfree

The OP has tried XMBC & didn't like it. Even I find it to be cumbersome. Besides, a used Apple TV 2 is available for £200 upwards on eBay, as the latest Apple TV hasn't been successfully jail broken yet. I don't think it's worth that much amount. What's wrong with Sonos?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
The OP has tried XMBC & didn't like it. Even I find it to be cumbersome. Besides, a used Apple TV 2 is available for £200 upwards on eBay, as the latest Apple TV hasn't been successfully jail broken yet. I don't think it's worth that much amount. What's wrong with Sonos?

don't recall the op saying that they didn't like it? Just that they had tried it. I'm just saying that if it's set up properly it's going to do everything they ask. I don't find it cumbersome at all.

Either way, it still fits the bill. Just because i'm not joining the big sonos love in doesn't meant that what I'm suggesting isn't fit for what the op wants. It's a cheap option (just needs a cheapo tablet - much cheaper than a sonos and will link in with their current htpc). Not sure why what I'm suggesting is suddenly deemed as "wrong". We can all give options and the op can go and have a lookse and make their mind up can't they?

cheeseboy said:
bigboss said:

don't recall the op saying that they didn't like it? Just that they had tried it. I'm just saying that if it's set up properly it's going to do everything they ask. I don't find it cumbersome at all.

Either way, it still fits the bill. Just because i'm not joining the big sonos love in doesn't meant that what I'm suggesting isn't fit for what the op wants. It's a cheap option (just needs a cheapo tablet - much cheaper than a sonos and will link in with their current htpc). Not sure why what I'm suggesting is suddenly deemed as "wrong". We can all give options and the op can go and have a lookse and make their mind up can't they?

Nothing wrong with suggesting. I was just responding to your comment that "the op asks for a lot, and XBMC is probably the only solution", hence my question of Sonos to you. The OP says he didn't find XBMC a joy to use....which means he didn't like it.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
XBMC is not a turnky product, period.

It is very good if you want a widely configurable media player, but I've tried it on a few platforms and it needs fiddling with.

Sonos is a true plug and play device, as are the Apple products. These two options offer the only viable solutions as far as I can see.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Here is what I use for control:

- iPad with Remote app. this gives me access to all music, playlists as well as airplay to other rooms. All the normal iPad bells and whistles of cause.

- An advanced IR universal remote with touchscreen (PhilipsTSU9400). This gives me a one-touch operation for the whole set-up. e.g. when I want to play music, I press one button and the remote switches the right boxes on, selects the right inputs, pre-sets volume etc.

So all I have to do to paly a track is press one button on the remote and then browse and start the music on the ipad.

Works well, certainly cheaper than Sooloos.

There are also iPhone/iPad apps which connect via wifi to a IR blaster, but hen you will have to switch between the blater app and the remote app.

If only the ipad had an IR blinker!!!

superchiwawa

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys thanks for the replies :)

Sonos - yeah nice device and UI, but I live in a flat and htpc is right next to (future) amp. Seems kinda redundant, and I limit my choice of connectivity, transport, and bitrate (if i read correctly), and it seems they're fussy with dacs too... I was gonna go for a USB spdif interface with ultra low jitter such as the Audiophelio 2, straight to amp, then maybe external DAC in the future. Multiroom would be nice for the future though....airplay is also an option. I feel like the cash spent and not used could be better put elsewhere. Sorry :roll: I'll keep it in mind though cos that UI looks pretty sweet.

Plex is buggy (like i want to have to reboot the damn server each time I wanna play a tune - hell no!), xbmc is decent but IMO a taped together buiscuit, (no disrespect - awesome work for an open source project) and as a music player not there yet. You always get that feeling that it's yeah pretty good, but somethings missing. Metadata implementation is very nice though. Connecting to networked fileshares not such a pleasureable expererience (grrr windows file shares)

Hey I wouldn't be posting here if I wasn't asking a lot. :p

And yeah, bang on, a turnkey solution would be perfect (though the odd simple efficient reliable setup would not be a problem - tired of pulling my hair out when things don't do as they're supposed to)

The philips remote is a nice idea, but that UI looks clunky to be fair, told you I was picky! Here's an IR blaster for iphone/ipad though http://store.griffintechnology.com/beacon :)

Actually iTunes is my main source, and I like the flexibilty it gives you in browsing your music. My only current grimpe is that you cant shuffle your 'Up Next' queue. I'd like the same but with a nice touchscreen UI. Even better if it adds access to other media. I've got Remote for iTunes on my android phone. Yeah it does the Job. But the UI is just not consistent with the flexibilty I'm used to. That thing called transparency and consistency. For me it's an important part of Interface Ergonomics. Why should you have to adjust to multiple UIs for the same tool? It's kinda clunky. That and the network droppouts are a pain in the ass. And I can't create a playlist (say drag and drop, 10 sec, bam). Similar comment for iTunes remote (well to be fair I only got a first gen iPod Touch which cant be upgraded to IOS 4+, so i'm f****d for the latest version. Damn u programmed obsolensce!!) though the UI is much cleaner

You know one of the nicest things about playing a CD or a vinyl on your hifi gear (material satisfactions aside)? You just open the box, put the disc on, close tray, hit play, enjoy. It's simple. It does just that. You're not drilling through layers, peripheral and vertical, of stuff whether apps or whatever else, to do what you want. I seek that simplistic feeling again, but with digital media. We get these devices that can do all kinds of great things, but in the end this device becomes just that, a generic slut of a device, that dables more or less proficientlty but does not excel as a master component as part of your Audio kingdom of master componenents.

OK that - today - may be asking for a lot. So an Ipad may be the path to go, at least in terms of UI philosophy.

But I challenge you to find an App that has the ergonomics of iTunes Remote or likewise, the bonuses of Sonos like spotify web streaming etc, drag and drop UI simplicity, and the SAME browsing and sorting experience of itunes with the ability to CREATE content, that is a front end for your main tools and automatically replicates this in itunes (optionally should it go so far your photo/video library etc), and that's as versatile as it is simple as it is powerful as it is sweeet to use.

Hey maybe I missed something :)

Keep those ideas coming! :type:

S. the "OP" :p

superchiwawa

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, well that was my experience at least with the latest version but on OS X... and originally it's a mac port of xbmc. What happenend there??? :?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts