TUBE / VALVE Amp - In search of...

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Dear All

I am in search of a tube amp to hear this ' special valve sound' but unfortunately the more i read the more i get confused. My budget is between GBP 1000-1500 but can be extended a bit.

1. Should i buy a full valve amp (pre /amp)
2. Should i buy a hybrid one (valve pre / ss amp)
3. Should i buy only pre valve amp and use my current amp HK990 for the extra omph
4. Are there any 'better' valves than others especially in pre-amp stage but also amp stage?
5. Lastly and more important which valve amps you believe i should be looking/what is your experience-suggestions

Many Thanks

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
a few watts per channel output, your existing ProAc speakers have fairly low sensitivity so your new valve amp may struggle to drive them properly, so if you want to go down the pure valve route then you may need new speakers as well.

*music2*

ps. by the way my experience of listening to valve amps comes from going to hifi shows, best sound I heard was from Audio Note but your budget would have to multiply several times over to purchase the amp I saw.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You could look at something like Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk 3 6AS7

I would ring Icon Audio and discuss your situation re Valves / Power / Price etc

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Primaluna high power integrated might be of interest.

Seems to tick all the right boxes for a first time valve amp owner.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks eilsdj. Will have a look at Primaluna but i jeed not just a valve amp but a very yood amp (reviee wiae). So you jave a specific model no?

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
In general i would recommend you not to use seperate pre/power-amps.

The 'oomph' you could be looking for will not come from any valve-amp.

Use only a total valve-amp, as some purity of valve-sound is lost by using a hybrid.

Cayin A55T, i had one myself, could be your thing as well as some mentioned Prima Luna. You could best look for reviews yourself.

In the end: have a good listen/demo before you buy! Valve-sound is not for everyone.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It's horses for courses.

I like SET valve amps a lot. They are the flat-track bullies of the amplifier world. Give them an amplification task where: a lot of power, high damping factor, ability to cope with low impedance loads are not required and they sound better - more transparent and realistic to my ears - than any other type of amplifier.

Give them a relatively difficult amplification task, eg your Proac speakers, and I'd rather have a decent solid state amplifier.

L00k_C said:
From the response i got it seems that nobody deals with tube.. so ss rules as i understand it...
The two brands you mentioned earlier I've scarcely heard of, let alone heard. Not a tube user but there are quite a few brands that have a following in the UK, several already mentioned above.

Is anything stopping you visiting a dealer yourself?

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
feeding a solid state integrated give that tube sound. Or will it be lost in translation. Sorry to encroach with a different query.

I will be china for a week soon, was planning on checking out the local hifi gear there. They seem to be making lots of tubed cd players. So just wanted to know if it is of any use getting one. As I don't want to change my SS amp. Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
newlash09 said:
feeding a solid state integrated give that tube sound. Or will it be lost in translation. Sorry to encroach with a different query.

I will be china for a week soon, was planning on checking out the local hifi gear there. They seem to be making lots of tubed cd players. So just wanted to know if it is of any use getting one. As I don't want to change my SS amp. Thanks.

It will not make a SS amp sound like a Valve amp...but should give a small taste of one.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
That sounds good to go. Some of the models I saw online, have a tube out + transistor out + digital out. So thought I had enough backup options if I were to decide that the tube sound was not for me or if the internal dac was not upto it. And also felt that depending on the type of music I could just switch inputs on my amp to get the best match. So just wanted to know that the tube out would make a difference if I wanted. Thanks :)

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
newlash09 said:

I would say give Unison amps a listen if you can. Best of both worlds.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I cannot visit a local store as i live in Cyprus..... Thats why i like personnal feedback..

I know and agree that you need to hear them but.....

There is a lot of confusion (at least for me) and few literature on tube amps.. let alone the tubes themselves kt88 vs kt77, el34 etc...

@cnoevil
No havent contact anyone..yet. expected some feedbaxk from you first...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
L00k_C said:
@cnoevil No havent contact anyone..yet. expected some feedbaxk from you first...

I'm not sure what feedback you are looking for.

I am not familiar with the Valve Amp you named, or your speakers.....and I don't use a Valve amp in my system.

The best I could do, was list an Icon Audio Model and suggest you ring them for further info...other than that, I'm a little out of options.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Maxprocrj said:
Line magnetic 216 Is on of the best option in this budget

I have read some interesting reviews about it. Seems to be very good, rather expensive and runs very hot. Could be your choice. As i don't like the heat in my (small) room, this one is not for me. My current one is not a SET but a very good PP which still produces some heat, as tubes never run cold.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts