Tube Pin Ups - your pics.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Revolutions

Update after many hours of YT video busting and I noticed I had 20% discount bonus vouchers from AliExpress from previous purchases, this was enough for me to be swayed (believe it doesn't take much!). I went ahead and purchased the TA-66 at a very reasonable £183 including VAT and delivery. Nice :)

I'll run the cables directly from the Matrix Streamer DAC output into the tube amp. The Focal Elegia will end DAP duties and assigned permanently to the bedroom HiFi, yeah I was getting some weird looks from unsavoury members of the Wood Green community. My commuting journeys will be better served from now on, using my KZ earphones!

I think if you were thinking about tubes but don't wish to uproot your system. A tube headphone amp is the best option. It's like having vinyl without the scratches and interruption.

Harmonic Distortion Baby, gimme some! :)

View: https://youtu.be/fUPRP4O_a0Y?si=m6hstO544UE4NT-O
That looks really cool. Keep us updated when it arrives, would love to know how you get on with it

Reactions: Jasonovich

Revolutions

Apologies, a couple of little solid state amps crept into this photo

IMG-5508.jpg

Jasonovich

That looks really cool. Keep us updated when it arrives, would love to know how you get on with it
Sure will. It's nice to have a tube option for certain kinds of music.
This will be the closest I get to vinyl.
Who would have thought harmonic distortion is a feature. Both Marantz SACD player and Attol amp have 🎧 headphone sockets, and I will compare between the tube amp and solid states.
Probably not a fair comparison as one is a dedicated tube amp.

Reactions: Revolutions

Jasonovich

It looks like I'm going to have to sell the Focal Elegia's on eBay, I thought I done the due diligence and checked the ohms output on the TA-66, I think I may have looked at another brand 32-600 ohms, yep tick the box and had in my head these belong to the XDUOO. I think these might have been the specs of Little Dot MKII?

When I downloaded the technical manual and looked at the specs again, 60-600ohms! Ssssh...kite. School boy error.
The Focals have 35 Ohms and these will massively distort when I plug them into TA-66 headphone socket.
That's a terrible shame, I really loved the sound of these dynamic headphones but not as much as I love the Planars.

I see the benefits of both dynamic and planar head phones, the former is more busy, more exciting and the planars more open, wider soundstage. The planars seem dull by comparison, the best analogy to draw, the dynamic headphones are like HDR, lots of unnatural colours. The planars have more natural colours and because there's less saturation, you see more details. Good thing, bad thing, it is all subjective, one man's meat is another man's poison.

I will say this about the Focals, these are of excellent build quality, second to none and the sound either matches it's peers or exceeds but yeah, I need to look for a pair of cans, that have high ohms input such as Senheisers HD600 (300ohms) or possibly the Beyers XT 900 Pro, these vary from 80 ohms up to 600 ohms. Open designs will be better for home use.
If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

TRENDING THREADS