Tube Pin Ups - your pics.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Revolutions

Update after many hours of YT video busting and I noticed I had 20% discount bonus vouchers from AliExpress from previous purchases, this was enough for me to be swayed (believe it doesn't take much!). I went ahead and purchased the TA-66 at a very reasonable £183 including VAT and delivery. Nice :)

I'll run the cables directly from the Matrix Streamer DAC output into the tube amp. The Focal Elegia will end DAP duties and assigned permanently to the bedroom HiFi, yeah I was getting some weird looks from unsavoury members of the Wood Green community. My commuting journeys will be better served from now on, using my KZ earphones!

I think if you were thinking about tubes but don't wish to uproot your system. A tube headphone amp is the best option. It's like having vinyl without the scratches and interruption.

Harmonic Distortion Baby, gimme some! :)

View: https://youtu.be/fUPRP4O_a0Y?si=m6hstO544UE4NT-O
That looks really cool. Keep us updated when it arrives, would love to know how you get on with it

Reactions: Jasonovich

Revolutions

Apologies, a couple of little solid state amps crept into this photo

IMG-5508.jpg

Jasonovich

That looks really cool. Keep us updated when it arrives, would love to know how you get on with it
Sure will. It's nice to have a tube option for certain kinds of music.
This will be the closest I get to vinyl.
Who would have thought harmonic distortion is a feature. Both Marantz SACD player and Attol amp have 🎧 headphone sockets, and I will compare between the tube amp and solid states.
Probably not a fair comparison as one is a dedicated tube amp.

Reactions: Revolutions

Jasonovich

It looks like I'm going to have to sell the Focal Elegia's on eBay, I thought I done the due diligence and checked the ohms output on the TA-66, I think I may have looked at another brand 32-600 ohms, yep tick the box and had in my head these belong to the XDUOO. I think these might have been the specs of Little Dot MKII?

When I downloaded the technical manual and looked at the specs again, 60-600ohms! Ssssh...kite. School boy error.
The Focals have 35 Ohms and these will massively distort when I plug them into TA-66 headphone socket.
That's a terrible shame, I really loved the sound of these dynamic headphones but not as much as I love the Planars.

I see the benefits of both dynamic and planar head phones, the former is more busy, more exciting and the planars more open, wider soundstage. The planars seem dull by comparison, the best analogy to draw, the dynamic headphones are like HDR, lots of unnatural colours. The planars have more natural colours and because there's less saturation, you see more details. Good thing, bad thing, it is all subjective, one man's meat is another man's poison.

I will say this about the Focals, these are of excellent build quality, second to none and the sound either matches it's peers or exceeds but yeah, I need to look for a pair of cans, that have high ohms input such as Senheisers HD600 (300ohms) or possibly the Beyers XT 900 Pro, these vary from 80 ohms up to 600 ohms. Open designs will be better for home use.
If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Jasonovich

Really nice Juzzie, separate pre and power amp. love those cage shutters.
Have you done any tube rolling yet?

I think people who don't own tubes because they've invested too much into solid state amplification, don't really need to give up what they already have, a good tube headphone amp allows you to step into the threshold without great costs, in the same way, people can always add a turntable to their existing system without disrupting the eco-system.

Tubes give a different interpretation of the music and it's great asset to have this working in tandem with your existing system. :)

Juzzie Wuzzie

Really nice Juzzie, separate pre and power amp. love those cage shutters.
Have you done any tube rolling yet?

I think people who don't own tubes because they've invested too much into solid state amplification, don't really need to give up what they already have, a good tube headphone amp allows you to step into the threshold without great costs, in the same way, people can always add a turntable to their existing system without disrupting the eco-system.

Tubes give a different interpretation of the music and it's great asset to have this working in tandem with your existing system. :)
In a "perfect world" the PrimaLuna system would be a second system in an office / library (no-TV) type set up. If I moved it there, I'd go one-box as my day-to-day system, something as simple as the WiiM Amp or, more likely, from the Hegel or Lyngdorf range.

I've not tube rolled or anything ... just listened. My current topics for debate are: a) do my Dali's produce enough base; and b) can I really hear an improvement with Tidal over Spotify.

Jasonovich

My XDUOO TA-66 arrived today from AliExpress, thankfully everything intact. I have to mention the vendors excellent packaging.

Though I do need to highlight one oversight, the voltage selector was set at 110V, that's fine if you live in the US but for the UK, it's 220-230V. Thankfully it is something I always check when ordering goods from abroad.
It's just a simple flip of the switch to select the correct voltage. Yes that could have been very costly!
If you're thinking of ordering the same, ALWAYS CHECK the voltage before plugging into the mains.
I don't know how the vendor made that mistake since it arrived with a UK plug, how bizarre?

I was also shocked by the weight of this thing, it is very heavy!

I am suppose to be working from home :ROFLMAO: . I quickly unpacked and now have it setup. Looks mighty nice, fitting the tubes in require careful alignment.

Oh BTW, the volume control on the TA-66 is quality, it clicks as you turn, and the blue LED doesn't distract, nice. XDUOO is doing a Fosi in tube amps. Initial listening and it hasn't even run in yet; is very favourable.
If you want the sound of analogue from your DAC, this is a very good option.

I'm sure many would disagree but this is my personal opinion, why waste money on a turntable when you can get the same thing from a tube head amp? Look at that, no not look, hear all that lovely harmonic distortion!
Or, if I flip it over, if you like the sound of your vinyl and you want your digitised music to sound the same, run it through a tube head amp. Yeah marsh mellows on an open fire!
I love the precision, the transparency and stability of Solid State but sometimes you want the vapour, the liquidity that you only find in tubes, especially vocals and yes now I have an option to switch between the two.
I don't think one is essentially better than the other, they're different, in the same way, high res digital is not the same as vinyl, in terms of signature and tonality.

Anyway, moving forward; I tested the Focal Elegia headphones and these were problematic, the volume on the Matrix streamer had to be set at 30 degrees and even lower on TA-66's volume control, any thing higher ran into distortion.

It is as I suspected, that is why I ordered in anticipation from eBay Ex-demo Beyerdynamic Amiron open headphones, these were rated at 250ohms and worked like a dream.

It's also a coincidence the Amiron's sound like the Focal's, beautiful open sound, maybe the Beyer's were a touch drier in the mid-range. The Elegia's are already on eBay, got six watchers in a space of an hour and one cheeky offer from potential buyer but it looks like a fast sale.

Here's some photo's :)

1727097686358.png
1727097829546.png
1727097896830.png
1727098021545.png
1727098063964.png
1727098148617.png

Last edited:
Jasonovich, it's good that you have found a combination of amp and headphones that gives you what you want. Pathos amps, even my solid state Converto mk2, give a slightly warmer sound, whilst this one also gives me the energy and punch I want when listening to prog rock.

For me Converto mk2 and Elegias are a great match. Based on things I have read here and elsewhere, Focal Elegias seem to need careful matching with amplification so, maybe I was just lucky. I plugged them into my Chord Mojo once and, they sounded dull and lifeless.

Reactions: Jasonovich

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts