TT recommendations

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I had a Pro-Ject Genie 3 until I sold it 6 months ago. I'd like to get a replacement TT at some point in the near future. Although I've got quite a few LPs, vinyl is never going to be a primary source for me, so I want to keep expenditure to a minimum.

Rather than get a new Genie, Debut or a Rega RP1, I've been thinking about getting a deck secondhand. Having looked on ebay and read a few of the threads on this forum and elsewhere, I've been thinking about getting an old Thorens or a Technics SL1200. Any opinions on which would be the better purchase, or indeed any other suggestions?

I don't want to spend more than £200 on a secondhand TT, less if possible. I do like the idea of being able to upgrade and make tweaks to the TT in the future - i.e. treat it as a bit of a project and spend money upgrading when I've got a few spare pounds. This is part of the reason that the Technics appeals to me (I know that there has been some healthy debate on this site and elsewhere about whether or not the Technics should be counted as 'hi fi'...)

Any opinions?

Oh the Technics could be counted as a piece of hi-fi gear alright its just they were very popular as DJ decks and as such have been pretty well abused. It your budget is as you say then I would steer clear of Technics (at that price because they are cheap for a reason!) and look for a good quality Thorens or other make. These are much more likely to have been looked after.

A

Anonymous

Good point Alears. Often it's hard to tell how much/what kind of use a TT has had on ebay.

Anybody got any comments on Thorens TTs? There seem to be hundreds of different models, all a bit confusing.

A

Anonymous

I have thought about it. The RPM6 you mention is too far beyond budget, but I'm sure you're right in saying that I could get something better than the genie for a good price. I wasn't really very impressed by the genie, though I'm sure that the more expensive decks are a lot better.

Tbh, I quite like the idea of having a vintage deck and treating it as a bit of a project (rather than a pro-ject) i.e. being able to tweak it endlessly!

Still hoping that someone might have some comments on the many different Thorens decks available - there seems to be hundreds!

Henry said:
I have thought about it. The RPM6 you mention is too far beyond budget, but I'm sure you're right in saying that I could get something better than the genie for a good price. I wasn't really very impressed by the genie, though I'm sure that the more expensive decks are a lot better.

Tbh, I quite like the idea of having a vintage deck and treating it as a bit of a project (rather than a pro-ject) i.e. being able to tweak it endlessly!

Still hoping that someone might have some comments on the many different Thorens decks available - there seems to be hundreds!

Gotcha!
Personally I do not think you will get much for your budget if going the route you intend. A vintage deck and long term tweaking will cost you dear in the long run, but that is just my opinion.
Anyway I wish you luck and as I know very little about the Thorens range I will leave this thread for someone more knowledgeable to hopefully continue. ;)

A

Anonymous

I think you are probably right! The budget limitation is temporary, I may well end up spending a decent amount on a new better/TT in the not too distant future. Thanks for your input anyway mate.

So, anyone got any experience/advice on vintage Thorens decks?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
If vinyl is not going to be your primary source why not another Genie 3, they are easily upgradable but a better cartridge is probably the cheapest way to go and they can be upgraded with acrylic platters, heavier counterweights and so forth or even a better felt mat whch is a cheap cost effective upgrade. As to Thorens decks, great as they are they need careful setting up and dont come as cheap as they once did. i used to knock Project decks until i had a Genie 3 i also sold mine to fund another project, no pun intended but it's my birthday soon and on my wish list is the Genie.

A

Anonymous

Pretty sure I'm not going to get another Genie. It was ok - I had some cheap plastic, Technics-copy DJ decks previously and, unsurprisingly, the Genie was a huge improvement on those - but I didn't think it had a particularly great sound and was always very staticky (even after anti-static brushing etc).

If I were to get a new (rather than secondhand) budget TT I'd probably go for a Rega or a different Pro-Ject for the sake of trying something new as much as anything else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts