True 24fps compatability

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am very confused that in the magazine recently quite a few televisions being reviewed such as the Panasonic TX-32LXD700, Sony 32D3000 or Panasonic TH-42PX70 have been referred to as being compatible with, or able to accept or display 24fps. However I do not see how these televisions can accurately display the 24fps format as, unlike Pioneer's 8th generation "Kuro" televisions which have a 72hz mode, they all run at either 50 or 100hz.What makes it more confusing is that in the case of the Sony 32D3000, Sony has made a point of advertising the model as having "24p True Cinema" yet, as the set runs at 100hz, it must speed up 24fps material by 4 per cent (or apply some sort of messy 3:2 pulldown conversion) to display it, just as was the case with dvds (except with dvds the material was sped up before being encoded onto disc). Surely this completely defeats the object? Or is there something that I don't know?

I would be very greatful if someome with a greater knowledge than me could clear this up?

A

Anonymous

OK nobody has answered me yet so i'll simplify what I was asking. Unlike the Pioneer PDP-428XD or PDP-508XD which have a 72hz mode to display 24fps material at the correct speed without messy 3:2 pulldown, sets such as the Panasonic TX-32LXD700 or Sony 32D3000 run at 100hz (or 50hz in other examples), yet it is still claimed that they can 'handle' 24fps. How can this be so?

An answer from Andrew or anyone able to put me right on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Answer from the WHF review crew is that the sets you mention may run at 100Hz max., but they are also able to run at other rates, including multiples of 24Hz such as 48Hz, 72Hz or 96Hz, to handle 24fps material. In other words, they adjust their scanning rate to suit the input signal.

Of course I knew all that and just asked the reviewers to make sure I got it right...
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

Thankyou very much Andrew for clearing that up for me.

I was also wondering if a 24fps signal that was run through say, an av reciever or an Arcam Solo, would still be 24fps when it came out the other end? And is the Arcam Solo capable of switching 1080p signals?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Any receiver or piece of equipment with a properly designed HDMI section should just pass through whatever it's fed, taking out whatever bits (if you'll pardon the pun) it needs. And that should apply to the Solo as much as any receiver - the most important thing is that the sending device and display can do 24fps.

A

Anonymous

Hi does anyone know if the Sony KDL40W2000 LCD TV can display 24 fps. I have asked around and no one knows!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I can answer that for you, no, the 40w2000 can't handle 24fps.... as I was looking at buying it, but discounted it for that very reason..... If I see judder after spending £1000, I will scream... lol

the new 40w3000 on the other hand does support 24fps, but that's £1500....

A

Anonymous

I will have to live with it then! Bought the set (which is excellent) a couple of months ago. I totally love films (sad git) and this would have been nice....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts