Problems with Sony KDL50W829

mlamb64150

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

I've decided to update my living room TV. I've enjoyed my Panasonic TH-42PX70 for 7 years and decided it was time for an upgrade. I was persuing the Panasonic P50GT60 however it's impossible to get anyone to ship it to the Isle of Man where I live and no local stockists have it.

After this week's stellar review of the Sony KDL50, I decided this should be the next set for me. I've even managed to get it for £850 which is quite unusual as IOM vendors are usually more expensive! Anyways, I tested it briefly today and have found it to be quite disappointing.

I first tested it out with my Xbox One and found when playing FIFA 14 the scrolling of the screen from side to side was very slow, kind of like when a cameraman doesn't keep up with the play and over-pans suddenly to catch up in real life. I also tried watching Sky Sports via the Xbox one (via HDMI in) and again whilst watching football found that the action looked jittery, like the ball was almost stuttering in mid-air.

Also no matter how hard I tried I cannot get the colours to look quite right, everything seems overly saturated and lacking detail. Admittedly I'm no expect in calibration so this might well be me.

The sound also seems quite poor. I realise it wouldn't be immense for a set as slim as this and had already planned on getting a soundbar/base, but it really is very poor compared to my much older set!

I haven't yet tried to watch Sky through the TV directly (was using Xbox one as a passthrough) as I'm waiting for a TV stand to be delivery and can't quite get the TV near enough to the box. I'm just wondering if the jitter experience is due to the Xbox passthrough or is this really part of the difference between LED and Plasma? Or is this a case of only using Sky via direct connection to the TV.

If any one other new owners of the set can provide their feedback I'd be very grateful.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Not to sure about this one but try:

Cinema 1

Live Colour Off

Gamma -2

Motion Flow:

True Cinema for Blu Ray

Clear for normal broadcast material. :)

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
The xbone has had a major problem with 50/60hz passthrough with Sky etc. It could only do it at 60hz, where pal is 50/hz. This causes stuttering and other issues, but it can be fixed by taking and installing the latest update which allows you to allocate 50hz for T.V pass through and 60hz for games. This patch went live on wednesday this week I think. This should help.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
There was also a problem with the contrast filter, causing some games to look washed out and overly bright, and the sharpening bodge they used to make up for the fact that most of the games aren't 1080p. These issues have both been addressed and I presume if you connect the xbox to the internet these updates will be implemented.

mlamb64150

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, Roundhead. I'll put it through it's paces more when more TV stand and Soundbar arrive (Philips HTL5120). I don't intend on using it for gaming as I prefer to play through a monitor (50 inch is just too big!) so it'll be purely for Television/Blu-Ray use.

I'll give it a fairer assesment as soon as possible. Thanks for your replies.

TRENDING THREADS