Troblesome Dual 505-2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Dual 505-2 purchased new in the 1980's. It was used lightly for a while then left unused and on start up after a lengthy period (cannot remember how long - a year+?) one channel died. It was repaired by a local Hi-Fi shop for almost half what it cost new! About eight or nine years ago, the fault re-occurred. It has been sat in the box since and through a housemove. I would now like to get it working. Any ideas on what the fault might be? Could it just be a 'dry' joint that I might find and sort with a soldering iron? Does it have a small circuit board and, if so, could a component have failed? Is there a weak point on these decks? I always thought the Dual 505s (all versions) had great reputations.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Dual was a budget classic of its day. The original was launched in 1982 (I think), was engineered to a high standerd, had a good low mass tonearm and gave a smooth if slightly unexciting sound. The CS505-2 was an improvement, though my memory is a bit wooly on this.

I don't recall any particular problems, so it could easily be something you've listed.

Sorry can't be of more help

Cno

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
One way or another, it'll be a wiring problem, But it could be either a short-circuit or a break. To test it you really need a multimeter, which I've found over the years to be an invaluable tool I cannot really live my life without.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Major Fubar and Cnoevil for your attempts at help. The lack of other replies suggest that the Duals are normally extremely reliable and I have been extremely unlucky!

I have a multimeter but really only use it for battery and fuse checking. So, (polite) suggestions, please, as to what I might do with it around the Dual would be a help! ;)

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
I used to have similar problems with my Dual CS601. The headshell contacts were silverplated and tended to tarnish with subsequent loss of signal.

I used to address it by using a cotton bud soaked in Goddards Silver Dip periodically.

Might be worth checking the contacts on the headshell and the tonearm?

A

Anonymous

We sold plenty of these over the years. The most common problems are: Breaks at the white and red phono plugs, where the lead goes into the moulded plugs. cut them off about a centimetre back and solder new ones on. Also when the deck has'nt been used for a few years, the grease in the motor micro-switch sets hard and the deck won't switch on. Earlier models have a special cartridge carrier where the finger lift levers back to release it. Sometimes the contacts need cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and the cartridge tags tightening with pliers to improve contact.

A

Anonymous

We sold plenty of these over the years. The most common problems are: Breaks at the white and red phono plugs, where the lead goes into the moulded plugs. cut them off about a centimetre back and solder new ones on. Also when the deck has'nt been used for a few years, the grease in the motor micro-switch sets hard and the deck won't switch on. Earlier models have a special cartridge carrier where the finger lift levers back to release it. Sometimes the contacts need cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and the cartridge tags tightening with pliers to improve contact.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DougBradyHiFi said:
Earlier models have a special cartridge carrier where the finger lift levers back to release it. Sometimes the contacts need cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and the cartridge tags tightening with pliers to improve contact.

Like this...

4000762241_ffb15e7e16_m.jpg

I still have a couple of these CS-505 cartridge carriers in my little hifi 'museum' (actually a small Tupperware box with some old bits n bobs in it)...

4001429208_93d2b38339_m.jpg

(And some spacers and a CS-505 cartridge setup 'jig' and an add-on weight, for heavier cartridges, and the original Ortofon cartridge).

A

Anonymous

Hi!

Thanks for all the additional advice - more welcome. All being well, this weekend should see some effort made into sorting it out. More news, hopefully, soon.

Now, one more problem to fix - how do I edit out my typo in the original post heading? I can spell troublesome, honetsly, I cna!

Greetings,

Seven of Seven :)

Leo28Du

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi Chebby

I'm bringing my old Dual out of retirement. I've changed the belt and would like to be able to swap and compare cartridges, hence I picked up this thread - do you still have your 'museum' :) of accessories?

Burto

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Firstly as your 505-2 has a regular headshell, I would try another headshell.

If problem is still there you may have an arm wiring issue internal or where connects to the board underneath the table.

I would bet that its a poor connection issue wires to the cartridge. give the wires a wiggle where they join the cartridge. Be careful though they are very thin/fragile on the duals.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts