Renovating a Dual 505 Turntable DIY

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Okay, so, I admit I do litter this forum with random threads far too often, but before undergoing the long and enduring process of saving up for a Rega P2 (lovingly suggested by Chebby, thank you, unfortunatly added to the end of a long long list of purchases) I was thinking I should get my Dual 505 in its best condition to enjoy it before it goes.

So far, I've taken it apart and given everything a good rub and hoover out. I will buy a new drive belt for £8 on Ebay, seems like a good deal from a respected seller.

After that, I think I should replace the dodgy looking rust encrusted Phono leads that come out the back with something proper. These leads are hardwired in to the back so I cant simply unplug them, i was thinking maybe buying a 1m Chord Crimson subwoofer cable off ebay (for £15), chopping it into 2 0.5 metre lengths and soldering the cut end right on to the inside of the turntable where the cables currently come from (after some disassembling first of course). Hopefully this should make quiet a noticable difference?

My cartridge and tone arm is probably set up really, really badly. My dad claims he has set it up 20 years ago and has since forgotten how to do it, and I played with the dials as a kid. However, I have no instruments to set it up correctly, i guess i should buy some of them off the internet?

The needle is only about two years old, however it is a VERY cheap Ortofon VMS3 MkII whatever that means, and it was £5 of Ebay. I am guessing I should replace this, but what is the best sub-£60 needle i could replace it with? Or maybe replace the whole cartridge? Will it come with the appropriate set up instruments to set up the whole player? For some reason the needle distorts a little bit now and the records skip VERY easily, but this may be because of loose floorboards.

Are there any other upgrades worth taking a look at? Or DIY tips to get it to sound better/behave itself and not skip? I don't really want to spend over £100 for the total renovation cost because I am hopefully intending to get a new turntable soon.

Many thanks! 

(oh and P.S., My amp is a ROTEL RA04 with a pair of KEF Celeste IIIs. I use the Rotel's preamp) 

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you register and join Vinyl Engine website they have downloads for the service manual and instructions (english) for the Dual CS-505....

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/cs-505.shtml

I think I could still set one up (new from the box) in my sleep. However that would be 'muscle memory' rather than being explicable in words on the internet.

I would not dare to advise on replacing the arm cable (mine and my friend's and my colleague's and family's CS505s never needed that doing to them.)

My brother still uses a CS505-2 (wooden plinth) that he bought over 20 years ago.

I have a spare (little used) Ortofon/Dual DN-165E cartridge and the transparent plastic alignment 'jig' and even the extra screw-on counterweight mass disc (with screw) for when heavy cartridges are fitted (plus a couple of spare cartridge mounting sub headshell plates with headshell leads attached that used to clamp on using the finger lift as a lever on the original CS-505.

I have one or two other Dual CS-505 bits and bobs that I unearthed recently from a tupperware container at the back of a cupboard but I am keeping them (sorry) in case I ever come across a mint CS-505 myself and decide to set one up for a laugh in a second system.

The CS50 is easy to set-up. Make sure the two transit bolts are flush with the plinth surface and tightened (clockwise) so they don't rattle and make sure the platter 'bounces' nicely.

All the rest is the same for any TT and arm. Fit/align cartridge (with a protractor) and set all dials to zero and balance the arm so the stylus tip 'hovers' a couple of mm from the surface of the mat.

Then 'dial' in the number that corresponds the amount in grammes of recommended tracking force for your cartridge on the arm dial and on the antiskate dial.

Do all this with the TT switched off as you know. (Auto-start on this model is engaged by moving the arm to the record.)

If you are using the original cartridge and stylus then the tracking force (and anti-skate) will be 1.5gms.

Avoid buying heavy replacement cartridges unless you too have the extra counterweight mass attachment.

3585220836_dc3be698c0_o.jpg

Old CS505 bits n bobs, including the excellent alignment/overhang jig which saves faffing with protractors.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Dual trivia...

The same company that became Dual used to make the gyro stabilisation mechanisms for the V1 flying bombs.

The Dual CS505 arm can track with the player upside down. (If you use a record clamp.)

A

Anonymous

chebby:
I would not dare to advise on replacing the arm cable (mine and my friend's and my colleague's and family's CS505s never needed that doing to them.)

Oh sorry I didnt mean the cable in the arm, I meant the RCA/phono leads out the back that go into the amp, it looked like quite a flimsy cable and the RCA jacks look really old and unclean. Cleaning them with alcohol didnt do that much... so i thought i could replace the whole cable with a single Chord Crimson RCA cable cut in half, soldered into the back of the turntable and plugged into the amp, although I am still unsure as to whether this will improve the sound.ÿ

chebby:ÿ

ÿI haveÿa spare (little used) Ortofon/Dual DN-165E cartridge and the transparent plastic alignment 'jig' and even the extra screw-on counterweight mass disc (with screw) for when heavy cartridges are fitted (plus a couple of spare cartridge mounting sub headshell plates with headshell leads attached that used to clamp on using the finger lift as a lever on the original CS-505.

ÿ

ah very nice, wouldnt happen to be selling would you? haha, do cartridges like that normally come with the jig, and does that one count as a "heavy" cartridge?

Anyway, thanks very much for such aÿthorough response! It will come in handy and already has allowed me to set the anti-skating and the other dial to 2, which i checked online was appropriate for my needle (however i also found a lot of hate out there, aparently the VMS3 MkII isnt exactly a well thought of needle!)

Thanks again!ÿ

TRENDING THREADS