toughened glass stands-are they really bad for amp/cd player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I had my kit on wooden shelfs, just moved them to a big toughened glass unit that also houses my 42 plasma, sky box and ps3. read somewhere that toughened glass is a bad base for kit like amp and CD player-not sure why-is this true and would some cork mattting underneath help. any help much appreciatted.

cheers

pedro

scene

Toughened glass stands are not a bad base for kit as they form extremely stable, vibration proof bases. In fact, the current WhatHiFi Best Buy AV rack is a metal and toughened glass one: click

The only trouble you can get if the individual shelves can vibrate, or if you have two items side-by-side on the same shelf. Some kit does vibrate a lot - Sky HD and Virgin V+ boxes are tow notorious cases - these could benefit from putting on cork stands, but just to keep the noise down and to stop other devices getting shaken up.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
You do read reviews were a bright system's sounded brighter on glass and i'm not sure if this rings true.

I had a Henley Designs WR5 which was glass shelfs with oak, never had any problems with it.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Pedej0e:
I had my kit on wooden shelfs, just moved them to a big toughened glass unit that also houses my 42 plasma, sky box and ps3. read somewhere that toughened glass is a bad base for kit like amp and CD player-not sure why-is this true and would some cork mattting underneath help. any help much appreciatted.

cheers

pedro

Does it sound ok to you ?. Yes ?. If yes just enjoy what you have got then. If the review has you a tad concerned then worry ye not. By the end of this thread you will have half a builders merchants and an equatorial rain forest in your lounge.
emotion-5.gif

scene

floyd droid:Pedej0e:

cheers

pedro

Does it sound ok to you ?. Yes ?. If yes just enjoy what you have got then. If the review has you a tad concerned then worry ye not. By the end of this thread you will have half a builders merchants and an equatorial rain forest in your lounge.
emotion-5.gif

+1 on floyd's comment. Sorry, I wasn't quite so succinct
emotion-10.gif
Yes - if it sounds OK to you, go with it. The sound's more likely to be impacted by position of your speakers in the room, or what's on the floor - carpet vs. wood - than what your stand is made of. Unless you can hear an annoying hum from the fan, etc. on a device, I wouldn't get worried. If you do, ESP's suggestion of blu-tak is a very good solution.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I've found that wooden shelves give a slightly more natural sound than glass which can ever so slightly tend to make things brighter.

A

Anonymous

thanks to all for very useful advise--good old blu-tack-I've always loved it, its the friend that keeps getting friendlier.

cheers

pedro

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts