Tough hypothetical question....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
I have not heard the complete set up but I am pretty sure that I can swap to Pathos Ethos (with DAC) along with Vivid Audio B1 or V1.5 speakers.

I can see how this would sound musical and exciting.....unusual choice of speaker.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Wouldn't bother with another full-blown kit. I'd probably buy a decent midi and one of these

7163330894_f9cc8aab85_n.jpg

A Midi and a Maxi.....sort of!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Hi Cno,

There are 3 amps in my shortlist..

Pathos Inpol

Plinius Hiato

Gamut Di150

Very nice choices, and I look forward to where your journey takes you....Lavardin should probably be in there as well.

I think Pathos and Focal would work very nicely.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I wouldn't want to change my speakers as I love them but, if forced, I'd probably go for Mission MX4s as they shouldn't be too dramatically different sounding to my Wharfedales. I'd quite happily have a Marantz PM6004 amplifier, and for the CD player I'd probably opt for an Audiolab 8200CD.

I think I'd miss the organic quality of my system though. I can't imagine the Audiolab/Marantz/Mission set-up having quite the same natural and involving sound and, having had those qualities, I would certainly miss them. I'd also find the Missions difficult aesthetically after the Wharfedales.

Have you heard the Kef Q series, or the Peachtree amp?

matthewpiano

CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:
I wouldn't want to change my speakers as I love them but, if forced, I'd probably go for Mission MX4s as they shouldn't be too dramatically different sounding to my Wharfedales. I'd quite happily have a Marantz PM6004 amplifier, and for the CD player I'd probably opt for an Audiolab 8200CD.

I think I'd miss the organic quality of my system though. I can't imagine the Audiolab/Marantz/Mission set-up having quite the same natural and involving sound and, having had those qualities, I would certainly miss them. I'd also find the Missions difficult aesthetically after the Wharfedales.

Have you heard the Kef Q series, or the Peachtree amp?

I've owned Q300s and wouldn't swap my Diamond 10.4s for them. The Wharfedales are more natural sounding and more even handed across musical styles IMO. The Q300s didn't work that well in my room and sounded a bit exaggerated.

I haven't heard the Peachtree amp and it probably is something I'd investigate if I was looking, although if I was going to go up the pecking order with the amp I think the Roksan K2 amp or the NAD C375BEE would take some beating for me.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I've owned Q300s and wouldn't swap my Diamond 10.4s for them. The Wharfedales are more natural sounding and more even handed across musical styles IMO. The Q300s didn't work that well in my room and sounded a bit exaggerated.

I haven't heard the Peachtree amp and it probably is something I'd investigate if I was looking, although if I was going to go up the pecking order with the amp I think the Roksan K2 amp or the NAD C375BEE would take some beating for me.

I agree with you about the Wharfedales....at the current prices, probably the best value range (9s and 10s) out there.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I didn't think you'd approve of my answer! I've heard Focal Chorus 806v and was impressed, tho I think for long listening I would start to find them fatiguing. Obviously these are cheaper than something comparable to my 40s, but I still suspect it's not a swsp I'd want to make.

I've not heard PMC twenties but did hear fact 8s, which cost substantially more than the 40s, and they left me cold. I suspect any differences between the models would not bridge the gap that IMO exists. I've also just looked at some images of the drivers and in engineering terms they bear little comparison with ATC. I've not really been listening to alternatives in recent times, which is why I'd have to guess at something I've not heard before. I'd love to hear some Martin Logan electrostats. :)

I haven't heard either of the brands of electronics you suggest. I hear good things about bel canto and Rick has suggested I listen to Densen. My electronics have to tread a fine line as I like a lot of detail, speed and integration but without becoming too clinical or attacking. Primare treads the line well :)

Your thread has generated some interesting responses but for me it is difficult as it is rather predicated on one *not* owning one's favoured system or there being a very close second. Happily for me, based on what I've heard, that just isn't the case :) That's not to say there isn't price-comparable kit our there that I haven't yet heard which I might prefer, but I'm not planning to do a lot of auditioning in the next few years ;)

The idea of the thread was to be thought provoking, and force honest evaluation of ones' existing kit....not easy, and possibly dangerous.

Focal (imo) need a little warmth with the amplification...then I think you'd like them (though they are a little too forward for me).

I think you might like the Kef Refs with appropriate amplification (Classe, Plinius or Electrocompaniet)....so if the chance arises, go listen.

It's good to dream

Cno

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
tino said:
For the same money as my everyday system, I wouldn't change the speakers but I would go for a compact streamer + integrated amp with decent UI/control interface ... probably something like the Cyrus Streamline.

For the purpose of this exercise, "yer speakers 'av been nicked mate", and there are no more available...now what to do.

Right you are officer Cno ;) ... my vote goes to Triangle Color floorstanders in fire engine red!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Hi Cno,

Have you heard the Pathos Inpol? I'm quite interested..:)

I know I am not Cno but there are very few times I can chip in and that is with Pathos Inpol2. I guess I had the amp for about an year. Beautiful sound. Amazing with classical, vocals, jazz.. Blacks are great and everything is wonderful.. May be a bit slow than a regular Class A/B but it is worth it just for the beautiful voices it can make..

However, I will not be able to get into Class A again due to various other reasons.. They are very inefficient, long start-up times and most of them are a bit slow.. just like Sonus Faber.. great speakers but they do not rock as musch as they do vocals!

I find it to be a bit crazy to spend on the inefficiencies of Class A as a bargain to the SQ they offer.. Again this is more like been there..., kind of thing for me.. but for many who are for pure magic (might not be the fastest) the mix of tubes in pre and Class A in Power is definetly worth it !!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
WishTree said:
I have not heard the complete set up but I am pretty sure that I can swap to Pathos Ethos (with DAC) along with Vivid Audio B1 or V1.5 speakers.

At the expense of being shameless, Cno.. You missed out commenting on my Parallel World ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
WishTree said:

At the expense of being shameless, Cno.. You missed out commenting on my Parallel World ;)

As if I would (post 7 on the previous page).....unsurprisingly, you missed it in the sea of my responses.

CnoEvil said:
WishTree said:
WishTree said:

As if I would (post 7 on the previous page).....unsurprisingly, you missed it in the sea of my responses.

Thought I saw smoke coming from a westerly direction :type:

D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
gel said:
Tricky one, probably something like this:

Monitor Audio Shadow or Apex

Samsung Plasma

Yamaha Amp

Cambridge Audio 751 Blu ray player or the £1000 Oppo

Hmmm, the Yamaha would sound quite different. It's quite hard to change from a sound you like.

I know
smiley-smile.gif
It is quite a unique sound I've got. I often wonder if I had the chance again would I buy the same system again, and if I did go a different route it would probably be something like this:

Pioneer 500a

Pioneer bdp-lx91

Pioneer Vsx-lx70

B&W MT30

That is the route I nearly took, also:

Mission Elegante e82 speakers with a Pioneer amp but decided it would not work, if I had the chance again possibly would go for them again, but not sure which amp.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I can see how this would sound musical and exciting.....unusual choice of speaker.

Now.. I got it!!

1. Checking WHF forum after Too much beer at a very lound concert is not such a good idea

2. Still, Live music, amazes me! No matter how much upgrades I do at home, the magic of several thousand watts flowing through and beating to the crowd's pulse is amazing !!

3. Mostly I enjoy the live shows with out much complaining. But today me and my wife, we both felt that the mixing enginner messed up with the tone of the singers! Which also means that the HiFi hobby is translating into appreciating / commenting some thing else where!!

4. Electronics are important but after a while I guess it is 0.0001 or 0.00002 but speakers on the other hand are very large strokes of the painting. I wish I have the energy and patience to audition all the types and possiblities that exist :)

5. Cno.. apologies for missing to read your response in the first place!

Has anybody heard Vivid speakers? What are they like??

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:

Thought I saw smoke coming from a westerly direction :type:

Honesty is my best option here.. I wish I know what Westerly direction means to appreciate / enjoy the comment :quest:

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Only just read this thread Cno. Can I clarify, is it the original list price of the kit I currently own, or what I actually paid for it?

Just wanna get my moneys worth ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gregvet said:
Only just read this thread Cno. Can I clarify, is it the original list price of the kit I currently own, or what I actually paid for it?

It's the full retail price, which then goes towards getting new kit (to the same value).

Knock yourself out!

iceman16

WishTree said:
iceman16 said:
Hi Cno,

I know I am not Cno but there are very few times I can chip in and that is with Pathos Inpol2. I guess I had the amp for about an year. Beautiful sound. Amazing with classical, vocals, jazz.. Blacks are great and everything is wonderful.. May be a bit slow than a regular Class A/B but it is worth it just for the beautiful voices it can make..

However, I will not be able to get into Class A again due to various other reasons.. They are very inefficient, long start-up times and most of them are a bit slow.. just like Sonus Faber.. great speakers but they do not rock as musch as they do vocals!

I find it to be a bit crazy to spend on the inefficiencies of Class A as a bargain to the SQ they offer.. Again this is more like been there..., kind of thing for me.. but for many who are for pure magic (might not be the fastest) the mix of tubes in pre and Class A in Power is definetly worth it !!

Thanks WishTree..another food for thought.:)

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
iceman16 said:
WishTree said:
iceman16 said:
Hi Cno,

Thanks WishTree..another food for thought.:)

also WHF seem to be quite taken by Inpol technology as well. they've reviewed three of those amps so far: Inpol2, Inpol Remix and Adrenalin monos, and each of them got 5 star rating and quite glowing review.

I myself am very interested in an Inpol amp, most likely a TT RR or anniversary. it's hard to find a bad word about this amp on the net. makes you wonder... :?

Paul.

CnoEvil said:
gregvet said:

It's the full retail price, which then goes towards getting new kit (to the same value).

Knock yourself out!

****** me, it adds up quick doesn't it? You add things on over time and don't really apreciate how much it all costs?

I would be tempted to go for a more modest satellite av setup in the living room (can't take advantage of its power in my flat anyway) and spend the diference replacing the yamaha micro/mission setup in the bedroom with some neat iotas and maybe one of those marantz all in one streamy-mobobs (CR603?). Not replacing the unused PS3 with an Xbox 360 should leave me a tidy sum for a bedroom turntable as well. Hollie won the PS3 at work and gave it to me for my birthday (60gb fat). This was at release, the exorbitant PS3 release price should get me a half decent TT :)

Not being allowed an ATV though, controversial! How else can I use my tv as a mirror of my laptop screen wirelessly?

Is all this alowed?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Its tricky because im not exactly sure how much the Arcam AV9/P7 would have retailed for orignially. I would almost certainly end up with Kef R series speakers (not sure if it would be R300s, R500s or R700s, so would need to demo), although for similar money I could go for reference 201/2s at the front at least, which would be tempting. These would be paired with either a Yamaha AV amp or the Audiolab processor/power amp, potentially with a separate stereo amp feeding the front pair if funds allow. Maybe a creek, not really sure which one I would go with.

Source would propably be a Squeezebox, going to a dac, maybe the Rega or musical fidelity.

If I have to do the same to my music only system, I would consider trying the AVI ADM9's with a squeezebox or airport express. I would rather have the B&W PM1's but I dont think the money would stretch to a suitable amp, unfortunately. Unless the Leema Integrated with Dac is man enought for the job, in which case I would go for that!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
From this:

macmini/mouse/keyboard - 650

benchmark dac1 hdr - 1,800

speakes atc 50atsl - 11,000

remote - 800

(14,250)

I would go to:

nas - 500

sb touch - 200

adm40 - 3,750

two subs, dunno which ones - 4,000

ipad and an IR blaster as a universal remote - 800

this would leave me 5 grand spare so I would get a nice new camera and take a holiday. or two. maybe a pair of top headphones.

easy to dream.

TRENDING THREADS