Law of diminishing returns 2 :)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The last thread was locked but I wanted to give my perspective on it as someone who has gone from a £20 5.1 set to owning some stuff which cant really be bettered without huge outlay within 2 years.

First set of speakers were terrible, and I mean really bad. When the "subwoofer" of the set was 3 inches I think this gives your some idea...

After that I got a pair of wharfedale valdus 500's and a tangent amp 50. Whole new class of sound, the difference was a bit like the graphical difference between gameboy colour vs a ps3. Upgraded the tangent to an arcam alpha 9, difference was again massive, forget tiny discrepincies you need a computer to measure...you could physically see the difference the amp had on tracks like bass I love you, the tangent seemed to jerk the cones around whereas the arcam smoothly moved them from one position to another. I am a believer that amps make a difference. Can't comment on higher end amps than the alpha 9 though.

Then I got a pair of active studio monitors which retailed for £2000 for £600, big difference, but wouldnt describe it as night and day. Apart from bass they did crank a fair bit louder though.

When I said I had some stuff which couldn't be bettered easily I was referring to the subs I built. Bought 2 fi q 18's for £50 each from a friend. Power them with a 1500w rms a side pro amp (8 ohms) from ebay (£120). They retail at £300 for each cone and are the sound quality reference line of the company. With a peak to peak of 3 inches they are monsters. Originally installed them in sealed encloures but was tempted to install pr's after a week or so. intalled 2 18inc pr's in each sub, excursion is slightly greater than the fi's. The bass is monsterous, at the time I auditioned a friends a svs ultra but the output wasn't even close. To say the subs outgun a £8000 jl gotham would be a bit like saying blu ray is better than black and white.

After using a graphic equiliser I get a flat response (within 2db) from 10-150hz at 115db. If im doing a party I eq down to 20hz and run everything on max. Can easily get well over 130 db in room from 25hz and up.

So my point is for subs at the difference (for me at least) between budget (warfedale sw 150, sounded like a fart box to be honest, port noise constrains it and it makes so much noise not related to bass I struggle to see how it got 5 stars, but who am I to judge?) and what I have now is huge. I would even say the difference is as big as between the computer 5.1 set and the first seperates set I owned. However between the valdus speakers which generally considered low end boom boxes and the active monitors the difference wasn't nearly as great. The difference was however still significant, and to me worth the money.

Having heard a b and w 802 while my parents were at a hifi shop I can safely say I won't be spending £30000 on a hifi system any time soon.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading, I would disagree with regards to bass at least (I cerainly don't feel that I have enough experience to comment on other frquencies) that a £600 setup (+ say £200 for a sub) will get to 90% of a higher end setup...PS my hearing is fine (for the moment at least) can hear to 21khz (in my right ear), 17 in my left...I blame the ipod, will never use headphones again...

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
You're welcome, and I also enjoyed reading peoples opinions on that thread.

I eagerly await 'Diminishing Returns III', 'Diminishing Returns Strikes Back', and the inevitable 'The Return of Diminishing Returns'

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree with the notion that a 1000 pound set up buys you 90 ish percent of high end. However whether differences can be heard and whether they are worth the extra outlay is very subjective. I for one feel that the hi fi industry is full of snake oil and should be navigated with caution especially when it comes to hi end and cables etc.

Having said that I have had a similar experience to the op with my hi fi and have gone all the way from a £150 pound set up to a £9000 pound set up. The differences were monumental between my first and last set up. However whether the price justifies the difference is up to the buyer. I have recently downgraded and even though i get 95% of what my previous set up gave me I really dont enjoy my music as much and this is the key point. If i could afford to get my old system back i would as that 5% difference is having a much greater affect on my enjoyment of music and thats what its all about.

idc

You are welcome StevenKay.

Running123, it is interesting your experience is that speakers make the biggest difference.

Before I switched to head-fi I had an Arcam CDP, Rega amp and B&W DM302 speakers. the speakers being the bottom of the B&W range and a third of the price of the CDP and amp. However, those speakers were tried at an audition for a new amp on the end of £10,000 worth of Naim kit and sang. They were also auditioned against 5 other speakers when a shop called Hifi Corner was just next to Central Station in Glasgow, and they had a wall of speakers that were attached to one source and could be switched instantly. Again the B&W were the clear winners.

So, as far as diminshing returns were concerned, for me then anything over my £110 speakers had very little marginal utility. (By that I mean improvement to the sound quality)

With regards to amps, the audition where I used the B&Ws (the shop did not stock them) was for either Rega Mira, Roksan Kandy, Rega Brio or NAD something. That was sighted listening and I and my wife were sure we hear differences. In fact we definitely heard differences. I picked the Rega Mira as it sounded the best with each tester track we played. It was about £400.

As far as diminishing returns were concerned, the Mira was still a stepping stone as I was sure its performance could be improved, particularly having heard the Naim and other reference kit in the shop. So back then I thought other amps would have worthwhile marginal utility. (Bring better sound quality).

Now the bit Andrew hates (and despite my best attempts does not understand). Since reading about ABX testing of amps, my mind has changed about their importance and I do not think that a more expensive amp would have had any marginal utility over the Rega. Having read about ABX tests of speakers, I now think that other speakers would have had far greater marginal utility over the B&Ws. So, my view has reversed.

As a result of that, I will not change my headphone amp ever, as other amps will have no marginal utility. But I will keep on getting headphones as they do. I would now also recommend speakers way over amps as the main way to improve sound in all sytems and have a sound, measured reaaon as to why that is.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
idc said:
Now the bit Andrew hates (and despite my best attempts does not understand). Since reading about ABX testing of amps, my mind has changed about their importance and I do not think that a more expensive amp would have had any marginal utility over the Rega. Having read about ABX tests of speakers, I now think that other speakers would have had far greater marginal utility over the B&Ws. So, my view has reversed.

As a result of that, I will not change my headphone amp ever, as other amps will have no marginal utility. But I will keep on getting headphones as they do. I would now also recommend speakers way over amps as the main way to improve sound in all sytems and have a sound, measured reaaon as to why that is.

Andrew doesn't hate anything; he merely gets bored with the same old ground being retrod over and over again. But I can understand why you get so excited about 'marginal utility': it must be what I've been missing about hi-fi all these years.
smiley-wink.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I think if I could be happy forever with a budget - mid range set up then I would but in my experience I couldn't, so there.

The most common comparison when talking highend hifi is just like buying car, if you think Ford Focus can give you the same driving feeling of Aston Martin DB9 then it would be wasting time of any more debate.

idc

Andrew, hate, bored however it is put, I meant it as I know you do not 'enjoy' this type of debate.

I hope that I am putting forward an interesting and alternative point of view with regards to hifi performance, particularly the need people feel to constantly upgrade in search of better sound. (And in this context how that relates to diminishing utility).

Since it can be shown that various parts of the hifi chain either do not perform at all (cables) or only perform to a very limited extent (amps) in improving sound quality, then people have more information to base their decisions on.

Car analogies do not work for me here as it can be shown and proven that a Ford is different to an Aston Martin. What I am saying is a situation where despite claims to the contrary, if you measured a Ford and an Aston Martin they turned out to be exactly the same.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
idc said:
Andrew, hate, bored however it is put, I meant it as I know you do not 'enjoy' this type of debate.

Again you claim to know how I think: I'm more perturbed that you are repeatedly hijacking threads in order to put forward your personal obsession. Could you stop now, please?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
idc said:

What debate? It's just you saying the same thing over and over again.

Car analogies do not work for me here as it can be shown and proven that a Ford is different to an Aston Martin.

You can say exactly the same thing about amps though, if they provide different power ratings, use differing components etc etc.

What I am saying is a situation where despite claims to the contrary, if you measured a Ford and an Aston Martin they turned out to be exactly the same.

Measure what? Those magazines that provided the endlessly tedious strings of numbers to go along with equipment reviews (I'm talking about hi-fi again here, not cars...) seem to suggest that different amps provide different measurable values, if every amp tested the same I imagine someone would have noticed by now.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
idc.

Are you just beating us down until we submit and agree with you?

It is not a new point - or even your point - and anyone who has been interested in hifi anytime in the last 40 - 50 years knows about it. (Since Peter Walker made similar arguments about what any good amp should do way back around the time I was born I think.)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Cyberman: We have been upgraded.
The Doctor: Into what?
Cyberman: The next level of mankind. We are human-point-2. Every citizen will receive a free upgrade. You will become like us.
The President: I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for what's been done to you. But listen! This experiment... ends tonight!
Cyberman: Upgrading is compulsory.
The President: And if I refuse?
The Doctor: Don't.
The President: What happens if I refuse?
The Doctor: I'm telling you, don't!
The President: [With more authority] What happens if I refuse?
Cyberman: Then you are not compatible.
The President: What happens then?
Cyberman: You will be deleted.

idc

Apologies to all.

I was trying to empathise with you Andrew and show understanding about your feelings towards such threads. I did not see this as a hijack as I think it is relevant to the topic and the other threads where I mentioned the subject. This is not an obsession, I post significantly more on Scandinavian prog rock, post rock, headphones and general topics and I do so in the relevant threads.

Chebby I am not claiming this a something new, it is an old topic. However, it will be new to many.

The_Lhc, if I sold you an Aston Martin for £100,000 claiming it was better than a Ford and then someone showed you that a Ford which cost £10,000 had the same top speed, acceleration, space inside, levels of quietness etc, would you not think to ask a few questions of me and my claims? That is the point about amps and other hifi components that I am making. They are presented as having different sounds, but then when tested do not. So greatly affecting diminshing returns.

(My last post here on the subject)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
idc said:
The_Lhc, if I sold you an Aston Martin for £100,000 claiming it was better than a Ford and then someone showed you that a Ford which cost £10,000 had the same top speed, acceleration, space inside, levels of quietness etc, would you not think to ask a few questions of me and my claims? That is the point about amps and other hifi components that I am making. They are presented as having different sounds, but then when tested do not.

but that's my point, the magazines that nobody reads that actually measure the outputs of amps do NOT show them as all measuring the same.

TRENDING THREADS