Totem Speakers?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I was asking about them a while ago, maybe this thread could be of some use to you.

A

Anonymous

I've heard the Totem Mite once, and the Rainmaker a number of times, mostly on the end of Naim gear. They're said to be a good match with Naim, but I have never been enthused by their sound, which to me was a touch lifeless. Mind you, I'd have to say the listening rooms in all cases were hardly ideal.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Guys.

Octopo I'll perhaps join your string.

Tarquinh - having heard the Totems - are you familiar with Cyrus? Do you have a view on how they would sound with Cyrus 8vs2 and cd8se?

jubair

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I auditioned the Staff's and Hawks with cyrus cd6se and 8vs2 and found them both to be very good. Fast, punchy and very balanced tonally. But the plinths on the Staff were stuck on with sticky pads which looked messy and I expected better for a speaker at that price. The Hawks looked nicer but I felt they were overpriced. I found the spendor a5 to be as good in sound quality with better build quality and at much lower price.

A

Anonymous

No, only heard them with the Naim amplifiers, and haven't heard Cyrus gear for a long time.

I've actually had a bit of a re-think, because the speakers I now have I also heard at the same demo rooms, and wasn't overly impressed with them. In hindsight, I should have given both of them another listen in better surroundings. The Totems are a balanced speaker, nicely voiced, I'd just expected more liveliness on the back of the Naim amps, that's all.

A

Anonymous

I have the rainmakers and thunder sub. Awaiting the naim xs, cd5x & flatcap. Purchased about a month ago and still waiting. Also have the staff, mite & 2 storm subs partnered with the nad t785, t585 & cd542. Rainmakers would definitely be the choice over the mites. As for the inferior build quality from one of the other onliners, I fail to understand the concept? A reviewer from a mag. said the same thing about the rainm. I've viewed MA and build quality looked the same to me. I guess things could be viewed with the eye of a beer holder?

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone.

I'm set up for a demo on the Mite's and Rainmaker's later this week. Also try the proac tr8's for a comparison. All 3 from same dealer which obviously makes life easier and a fairer listen. Would also like to try the splendor s3e's but having difficulty finding a local dealer with demo set.

Will let you know how it goes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts