Totally Confused Newbie

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
unsleepable said:
roadrunner said:
Thank you again. I called a dealer today to audition the V1 and told him my expected setup - NAS>V1>NAP100 and he said that I have to also get a streamer in order to operate the volume controls on the V1. Can you or anyone else confirm if this is correct?

The V1 has a volume knob, and a remote from which you can also adjust the volume. I don't know why I'd say that.

I don't know either! But that information is incorrect!!! The DAC V1 has volume controle, and thats all you will ever need.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Funny fact about the V1, and it's a feature that I absolutely dig: when you connect it to a computer with usb, you can set the volume from the computer. And I mean, the analogue volume setting—not digital volume reduction.

I'd like to know if there are other DAC/preamps that can do this. The V1 is the only one I know of.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
unsleepable said:
Funny fact about the V1, and it's a feature that I absolutely dig: when you connect it to a computer with usb, you can set the volume from the computer. And I mean, the analogue volume setting—not digital volume reduction.

I'd like to know if there are other DAC/preamps that can do this. The V1 is the only one I know of.

Today I was thinking about the same thing to propose to the OP other solutions, i think Audiolab M-DAC has the same thing. I'm going to read a bit...

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Today I was thinking about the same thing to propose to the OP other solutions, i think Audiolab M-DAC has the same thing. I'm going to read a bit...

Have you seen this? http://www.hifigear.co.uk/pathos-converto-dac-d-to-a-converter.html

Yes Cno I did, but it needs to be instaled a driver in the player to be able to comunicate with Pathos DAC.

When you are using the Synology NAS it needs to be a Plug and play DAC like the Rega, Naim v1DAC and the Audiolab M DAC.

I've been reading in some forums ( Synology and pink fish media) that the M DAC connected directly to synology NAS does some click when playing music, but they are all 2013 threads, and another problem pointed was that synology Audio app didn't do galpless play back ( and this was solved last year by a system upgrade) so i don't know if that problem still remains.

Like i've said earlier the good thing about synology interface is that they do contant upgrads. Like DSD playback that they already do.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If everyone knew about the potencial of Synology DS Audio app ( that i've nominated for component of the year) people would be amazed.

Since the beginning of 2013, DS audio app has evolved significantly, that why I can't get enough of advising forum members to consither this solution, i've has sucess with some. To be honest I feel a bit alone in this department, I think more synology users should join this discussions, because they are out there...*diablo*

It's simple to use and with a great interface.

rainsoothe

roadrunner said:
Thank you again.  I called a dealer today to audition the V1 and told him my expected setup - NAS>V1>NAP100 and he said that I have to also get a streamer in order to operate the volume controls on the V1.  Can you or anyone else confirm if this is correct?

I dont know whether you can use the synology usb in combination with THIS particular DAC, it's something you have to check. The point is, in order to stream, you need a streaming capable device with a digital out (coaxial, optical or usb), which can be a network enabled dvd/bluray player, tv, dedicated streamer or pc/laptop. The dealer probably said that because he thinks the synology can't stream via its usb (which is normally used just to plug in usb hard drives or other storage). I dont know wether this is true or false, but i guess you can check. If it doesnt work (streaming directly from nas into dac) then you will indeed need one of the streaming solutions i mentioned (usually laptop). If that is not an option then youll have to go the uq2 route

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
unsleepable said:

The Devialets do this too. What these DACs are doing is acting as outboard soundcards. They take over all control duties from the onboard soundcard.

Matt

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
unsleepable said:

The Devialets do this too. What these DACs are doing is acting as outboard soundcards. They take over all control duties from the onboard soundcard.

Matt

Not all controles, the DS Audio App still has all controle over the DAC, like volume controle, equalization for exemple.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
roadrunner said:
Thank you again. I called a dealer today to audition the V1 and told him my expected setup - NAS>V1>NAP100 and he said that I have to also get a streamer in order to operate the volume controls on the V1. Can you or anyone else confirm if this is correct?

I dont know whether you can use the synology usb in combination with THIS particular DAC, it's something you have to check. The point is, in order to stream, you need a streaming capable device with a digital out (coaxial, optical or usb), which can be a network enabled dvd/bluray player, tv, dedicated streamer or pc/laptop. The dealer probably said that because he thinks the synology can't stream via its usb (which is normally used just to plug in usb hard drives or other storage). I dont know wether this is true or false, but i guess you can check. If it doesnt work (streaming directly from nas into dac) then you will indeed need one of the streaming solutions i mentioned (usually laptop). If that is not an option then youll have to go the uq2 route

Yes it is possible to stream into USB input of the Naim V1 DAC i've done it myself in a home demo, V1 DAC is just plug and play,no need to instal drivers in the player!

It's all prety simple, with V1 DAC, Rega DAC and Primare DAC30 they all work nicely with Synology NAS. You can take this as a FACT!!!

roadrunner

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Well I heard more speakers - Mission SX2's and B&W CM5's and the Kef LS50's again. To my ears the LS50's sound much better. I want to find the Focal Aria 906's and give them a try. The search goes on!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
roadrunner said:
Well I heard more speakers - Mission SX2's and B&W CM5's and the Kef LS50's again. To my ears the LS50's sound much better. I want to find the Focal Aria 906's and give them a try. The search goes on!

You are doing things the right way, using your ears in real demos!

Have fun!!!

*drinks*

roadrunner

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
We went one more step, but have a question. I demoed the UnitiLite with Focal 906 and Harbeth P2ESR speakers - They do not carry the KEF LS50's. I also demoed the DACV1/NAP100 combo with the same speakers. The salesperson connected a NDX streamer to this combo. Firstly, the combo sounded better than the UnitiLite through both speakers. However, I am concerned that the NDX could be influencing this conclusion as I am sold on using a Synology D213J as the NAS and streamer. Any comments??? Regarding the speakers, my ears liked the Harbeth's better than the Focals, but the Harbeths did not have much in the way of bass output. I wish that I had been able to listen to the KEF's at the same time and then compare, but no such luck! Based on all I've heard and going from memory, I've landed on the KEFs for speakers.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
roadrunner said:
We went one more step, but have a question. I demoed the UnitiLite with Focal 906 and Harbeth P2ESR speakers - They do not carry the KEF LS50's. I also demoed the DACV1/NAP100 combo with the same speakers. The salesperson connected a NDX streamer to this combo. Firstly, the combo sounded better than the UnitiLite through both speakers. However, I am concerned that the NDX could be influencing this conclusion as I am sold on using a Synology D213J as the NAS and streamer. Any comments??? Regarding the speakers, my ears liked the Harbeth's better than the Focals, but the Harbeths did not have much in the way of bass output. I wish that I had been able to listen to the KEF's at the same time and then compare, but no such luck! Based on all I've heard and going from memory, I've landed on the KEFs for speakers.

In this case the NDX IMO didn't add nothing to the combo...

I think the big question is: what you like the most? The UQ2 or the V1 DAC?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
roadrunner said:

I'd venture that the digital source would be the part with the least influence on the overall sound. Why don't ask the dealer to connect another digital source—anyone—and see if there is a difference?

Take also into account that the DAC-V1 also reclocks the signal on the optical port, so not even jitter from the source should make a difference.

The Naim combo plus the Kef look like a superb system. I had a V1 and sold it, but was very fond of it.

roadrunner

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I am going to go with the Synology NAS>DAC V1>NAP100>KEF LS50's. I've decided on Van Damme Blue speaker cables and would like your advice for the NAS>DAC interconnect. I understand that the DAC comes with an interconnect for the NAP 100.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
roadrunner said:
I am going to go with the Synology NAS>DAC V1>NAP100>KEF LS50's. I've decided on Van Damme Blue speaker cables and would like your advice for the NAS>DAC interconnect. I understand that the DAC comes with an interconnect for the NAP 100.

I think you done good.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
roadrunner said:

Don't know if it cames with the necessary cable... About speaker cable i know that Naim work good with Van Den Hul as well, try more then one speaker cable if possible!

And congrets about the decision you've made!

rainsoothe

1. wheee, another converted naimite :) congrats on your decision and enjoy!

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
About the USB cable just buy a good cable (£25-35 five or take) from QED, Chord, Wire World, Belkin, AudioQuest... And you'll be fine!

2. Can vouch for Wireworld and Audioquest here, but the others should be just as good, so choose your pick ;)

3. I'm pretty sure the Dac V1 doesn't come with an interconnect for the Nap 100, but the Nap 100 might. IF it doesn't try to use the DIN interconnect (instead of RCA), but the Naim ones are expensive as hell, so you should get one from either Teddy Pardo or ar-sound (luna range) 4DIN to 4DIN i think is required, but if you're not sure, i'm guessing an email could clear everything up. Or heck, your dealer might have better insight.

goodluck and congrats again!

roadrunner

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
You are correct, the DAC does not come with an interconnect cable,however the NAP 100 does have one for the V1.

I want to thank all those that helped me through this process.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts