Total newbie, £500, utter confusion.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

tremon said:
That's fine, just remember that most hi-fi is built to last and second-hand does not automatically mean inferior.

Damn right! Sansui, Pioneer, Sony and a bunch of others from the Japanese 1970s era being prime examples. Yes, they need a tad more TLC, but we're not talking huge amounts and given the trials and tribulations of some Cyrus SE CD player owners, I know what I'd rather own right now.

matthewpiano

The Denon is a flawed product. Awful volume control with overly big increments, hiss/noise issues and badly positioned vents that allow dust to settle onto the CD tray. The first is a particular concerns in a bedroom where low volume levels are required.

The Marantz is a far better though-out product with a significantly better sound. If you move it to a lounge area later on it is also far more capable of driving much better speakers if the fancy takes you. Well worth the additional outlay if you can spend it.

£400 will buy a lot 2nd hand if you don't rush and choose carefully. My current system cost me £380. The amp completely out-classes any of the current budget amps and would compete quite comfortably with the likes of a Naim Nait 5i. The CD player is one of the most musical and involving ever made and the speakers have a level of build quality that doesn't exist much below £1k on the brand new market.

Of the three options, the Marantz will give you a great balance between excellent sound, features and compactness whilst the used seperates will give you the best all-out performance. The Denon option trails a long way behind IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts