Toslink Cable

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
For some time, I wanted to connect my Samsung TV to my Naim streamer (ND5XS). But now, since Wagner's Ring Cycle (last year's Opera North production) is available on the BBC iPlayer, I shall no longer postpone this!!!

So I wondered about decent Toslink cables -- any experience or recommendations here?

Many thanks!!

Timo

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Timo said:
For some time, I wanted to connect my Samsung TV to my Naim streamer (ND5XS). But now, since Wagner's Ring Cycle (last year's Opera North production) is available on the BBC iPlayer, I shall no longer postpone this!!!

So I wondered about decent Toslink cables -- any experience or recommendations here?

Many thanks!!

Timo

I use these. Perfect.

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Cheeby -- much appreciated!

Any other experience with different opitical cables?? What Hifi seems to like QED's Performance, which comes at a price... Has anybody tried Audioquest or Chord Toslink cables, for instance?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Timo said:
Thanks Cheeby -- much appreciated!

Any other experience with different opitical cables?? What Hifi seems to like QED's Performance, which comes at a price... Has anybody tried Audioquest or Chord Toslink cables, for instance?

A year or so ago I was using a 0.75m AudioQuest 'Forest' Toslink - Mini Optical cable (about £25) purely because it was nice and short/very minimal/needed no Mini-Optical adapter. I could not tell you (with a gun to my head) if it 'sounded better' than my excellent £5 Belkins. That's not why I bought it. From my networks experience, I know full well that optical fibre either works 100 percent or fails 100 percent.

I no longer use the AudioQuest because I no longer have any need for a Toslink to 3.5mm Mini-Optical cable, so it's in my odds-n-sods box.

winiar550

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Get a DH LABS optical on ebay from an Estonian seller it beats( in my opinion) Chord optichord and Van den hul optocoupler hands down and is more natural at the same time.Otherwise look at the glass optical cables.
All the best.

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your posting Mark. In the meantime I have bought QED Performance digital optical cable (What Hifi 5-star product). No clue whether it sounds any better than a 5-quid cable, but I am happy with what I have. Certainly we had great sound when watching Wagner's Rheingold on the BBC iPlayer. And the cable looks well built to last for a long time!

If I had a chance though, I would love to compare the QED with Audioquest's Cinnamon. Hopefully, Oldphrt doesn't read this, as I don't want to trigger another lengthy cable debate... ;o)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Buy the cheapest you can find that at least looks half well built and use that. The one linked to earlier by Chebby is perfectly fine. If someone tells you optical cables sound different, they are wrong.

Some people think optical cables sound different because they don't understand and believe the marketing blurb of companies trying to rip you off. But some people think that way because even when you try to tell them otherwise, they refuse to listen. Such people are welcome to their wrong opinion, but they have no right to present it to others as valid. Drummerman will no doubt be around shortly to tell me I'm being self-righteous again, like he did on the mains cable thread. But I don't care. I shouldn't live in fear of being shot down by trying to help genuine enquirers like the OP to separate fact from fiction.

winiar550

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Some people have tested and own these cables in their systems and to believe or not my advice will be to test them in your own system at home then decide for you.
All the best.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
winiar550 said:
Some people have tested and own these cables in their systems and to believe or not my advice will be to test them in your own system at home then decide for you. All the best.

How do you suggest that a purchaser goes about 'testing' these products in their own home?

TRENDING THREADS